Getting babies to nap during the day?!?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by reichvt4l, Feb 6, 2009.

1. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

My 15 week old (age adjusted 11 week old) DS and DD hardly take naps during the day! I'm lucky if they go down for 1/2 hr at a time. I've tried putting them in separate rooms so that DS isn't waking DD up. I could put them in their swings, but prefer they learn to nap in their cribs. They are sleeping 7 hrs straight through at night 9:30 pm to 5 am. Does anybody have any tips on to get them napping consistnetly? THANKS!!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At that age they were napping whenever and wherever they wanted. I would take the pressure off of yourself and let them nap in their swings if they are happy and that gives you a break. They WILL learn to sleep in their cribs.

How about some white noise to help them sleep? Are you swadding? Are they staying up too long and becoming overtired and therefore harder to get down? Just some thoughts...

3. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 6 2009, 02:31 PM) [snapback]1179325[/snapback]
    At that age they were napping whenever and wherever they wanted. I would take the pressure off of yourself and let them nap in their swings if they are happy and that gives you a break. They WILL learn to sleep in their cribs.

How about some white noise to help them sleep? Are you swadding? Are they staying up too long and becoming overtired and therefore harder to get down? Just some thoughts...

I do use white noise to help them sleep, especially at night. I do use the Kiddopatomaus swaddles. Neither are acting tired today--no fussiness, yawns, rubbing eyes, etc.

4. DATJMom

QUOTE(reichvt @ Feb 6 2009, 10:40 PM) [snapback]1179340[/snapback]
    I do use white noise to help them sleep, especially at night. I do use the Kiddopatomaus swaddles. Neither are acting tired today--no fussiness, yawns, rubbing eyes, etc.

What does your routine look like in terms of feedings and so-called naps??

5. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 6 2009, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1179347[/snapback]
    What does your routine look like in terms of feedings and so-called naps??

Our kind-of routine is up at 5 am to feed, usually back to sleep 1-2 hours afterwards (sometimes) and feeding every 3.5 to 4 hours with 5-6 oz of formula each. Last feeding of the day is usually around 9-9:30 pm and then to bed.

6. DATJMom

QUOTE(reichvt @ Feb 6 2009, 10:57 PM) [snapback]1179357[/snapback]
    Our kind-of routine is up at 5 am to feed, usually back to sleep 1-2 hours afterwards (sometimes) and feeding every 3.5 to 4 hours with 5-6 oz of formula each. Last feeding of the day is usually around 9-9:30 pm and then to bed.

Do they fall asleep on the bottle or breast? At that age, mine fell asleep on the bottle and I would just hold them and let them sleep, get them into the pack and play, or into a swing just to get some rest. They werent taking long naps just short little cat naps. I would say around 4 months actual the morning nap started to come into play for us. They would go down about 1.5 hours after getting up for the day.

7. reichvt4l

reichvt4l Active Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 6 2009, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1179362[/snapback]
    Do they fall asleep on the bottle or breast? At that age, mine fell asleep on the bottle and I would just hold them and let them sleep, get them into the pack and play, or into a swing just to get some rest. They werent taking long naps just short little cat naps. I would say around 4 months actual the morning nap started to come into play for us. They would go down about 1.5 hours after getting up for the day.

Both do start to fall asleep on the bottle, but then quickly wake up once I burp them or put them down in the crib.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Feb 6 2009, 05:31 PM) [snapback]1179325[/snapback]

This is what we were doing too at that age. Naps were more predictable around 5-6 months.

9. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

At that age mine also were napping wherever...usually in the swing or bouncy. I was afraid of the transition to cribs, and tried at 3 months, but it was a disaster. I only tried for one day, and stopped trying for a few weeks. By 4.5 months, everyone was napping in their cribs, no problem. It only took me a few days to get everyone in their cribs regularly. They still take short naps - always have.