Get your nerd on.

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Apr 24, 2012.

1. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Everyone is weird in their own way. What's your way?

I'm a nerd. I love science, numbers, and music. But what makes me nerdy is that I also like science fiction/fantasy/role playing character books. I like being able to talk about how much NDT rocks.

2 people like this.
  2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Nerdy is sexy, Bex!

I'm obsessed with DIY blogs and all things home improvement. Power tools turn me on. :) My friends joke that I think I'm starring in an HGTV show at all times.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm in love with all things sci-fi/fantasy but have a special place in my heart for Joss Whedon & anyone who's ever worked for him. For example, I had a geekgasm when we were watching Game of Thrones Season 1 & I saw that Jane Espenson was writing for the series (she worked with Joss on Buffy & other projects/shows). It just makes me love GoT even more. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly nerdy myself, though I do have my moments, but I am super attracted to nerds. The pastier, the better. My husband jokes that he knew I was "the one" when I said I had bought stuff from thinkgeek.com and mentioned that I had upgraded the RAM on my own computer. Now I make him do it.

Also I put ranch on cooked broccoli which a lot of people find weird.

1 person likes this.
  5. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I am obsessed with Elvis, have read at leat 20 books on him-Sshhhhh.

1 person likes this.
  6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I love me some Elvis as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Haha, I like HGTV also, our house used to be a Contemporary furnished neat place to live - now it looks like Toys R Us threw up in there and all the glass tables and shelves are cramped in our bedroom that became a storage room for all things too delicate for toddlers.

I am also nerdy about research of anything I find interesting at the moment. I also LOVE to read.

8. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I am nerdy as nerdy can be. A. I love Aerosmith and Steven Tyler and am not afraid to let the whole world know it B. I love politics, science, math (or at least I used to), cooking, anything to do with natural health / healing C. I love to read a lot D. I think brains are sexy. There has to be more but suffice it to say I am just a geek in many ways.

1 person likes this.
  9. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How am I nerdy? Oh, let me count the ways.

Dh (software engineer and nerd) and I email links to articles to each other during the day. We mostly share economic articles with some political and some health. We're just as likely to end up in an economic discussion in the evenings as anything. I read a lot of non-fiction related to those.

I tend to analyze chord structure of music when I look at music books. When the kids have a question about their piano, I have to remind myself self they probably just want the note name, not the theory behind why that notes was chosen. I learn classical piano for fun. And even when I listen to the radio, I find myself listening to the instrumental composition of a song and picking out key changes as opposed to the lyrics.

I get very happy when my seed catalog comes in the winter. It's all heirloom, non-gmo seeds and they include short histories when possible of the seed lines. I read the whole thing.

Dh and I are very pleased that our kids have inherited the nerdiness also. Sarah checks out as much non-fiction as fiction from the library. She once found a kids level book on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict because she wanted to understand it. She's currently reading a history of the first ladies. Timothy is obsessed with numbers. He's way ahead of his class/age/grade in math and we're starting to talk to teachers to find out how that's going to be handled next year in 3rd grade.

Marissa

3 people like this.
  10. Mama_Kim

Yes, our kids all have the nerdy gene too. :lol: I love it!

11. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

I am nerdy, goofy, silly and I will admit to having multiple multiple brain farts a day. Sometimes I think there is even a sound when it happens...probably like "duuuuuuh", I'm sure. [​IMG]

I am the most uncoordinated person on the planet but I LOVE LOVE LOVE to dance along to hip hop videos and the nerdy part is, when I'm dancing along I am imagining in my head that I am spot on if not better than the professionals in the videos...I can pop it like it's hot, oh yeah!

Also obsessed with the hippie counter culture music, not so much the politics and not because I don't like it or agree/disagree with it but because my brain has a maximum capacity limit of a pea. If I could listen to Janis Joplin's "Me & Bobby McGee", "Summertime" or "Mercedes Benz" all day, every day I would be in heaven. Now to go to a polar opposite of that I am also obsessed with Bette Midler, yes the great Bette but my favorite is her cover of "Stuff Like That There" and her soundtrack to the movie Beaches. Also LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Motown and if I start singing some Diana Ross my DH runs for the hills...lol

I'm a big nerd for those "100 Greatest Artists/Musician/Female Vocalist/Influential/etc. Artists of all time" shows. Surprisingly not a big Beatles fan but heavy on Nirvana and Queen.

I actually like acting as silly as possible just to garnish a laugh, it makes me smile.

I believe that I can sing like Adele and no one can tell me otherwise, except my kids when they say "STOP IT! HUSH!".

Love original Nintendo...and the floppy disc games you got to play on a Commodore 64.

Secretly love disco.

And I'm a total prude when it comes to indie music and films....I'm very picky because, of course, in my mind I am the Chief Editor at Rolling Stone Magazine.

To make this shorter, just call me delusional. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

This sounds so much like my DH and I, and my DH works in IT as well. We also email science stuff we find interesting :).

13. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I am a Disney nerd big time. It is actually embarassing sometimes. I also LOVE James Dean and am a huge nerd that way. Also 80's music, Devon hates that one.

14. becasquared

I do that with my old boss. And we lay out the plot lines and characters in the Fire and Ice Series on the whiteboard in her office.

15. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am a fantasy geek and gamer extraordinaire. DH and I actually met in a role playing internet chat channel (IRC) back in the day, about 15 yrs ago now! I love Dungeon's and Dragon's and can't wait until my kids are old enough to play with us :p I devour fantasy books written by author's like Anne McCaffrey, Terry Brooks, David Eddings and David Gemmell, Robert Feist....to name a few. And for down time, DH and I both play World of Warcraft in the evenings, yes, we have 2 accounts so we can play together ;)

We're also kinda camping/outdoorsy geeks. I'm wildly excited we're buying a new camper, going thursday to pick out our extra's and get it ordered!!! SO excited to upgrade from our 12 ft popup to a 30 ft with quad bunks for the kids, and a super slide on the side!

And finally, I'm a Canadian geek, I have a Canadian flag in my yard (I live in South Carolina), flags on my truck, my kids have maple leaf shirts.....I love my Canada ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Haha, I love this thread! I love history. If you'd asked me about it when I was a kid, it was my least favorite subject because I thought it was all about knowing who did what on a specific date and I'm horrid at memorizing things. But I LOVE the stories. I love biographies and autobiographies. I like well-documented historical fiction as well, but usually prefer the footnotes about the lives of real people over the fiction. If I watch a movie that's "based on a true story" I have to go look it up and find out what the true story really was.

And I've always loved a lot of what used to be considered "old lady" crafts like knitting, crochet and sewing. When I was in college it was decidedly uncool. But now that I'm basically "middle aged" I see all these hip young things doing it.

I love to look things up. I still have numerous real dictionaries, a couple of thesauri and an encyclopedia (out of date). In our house, instead of saying "google it" my DH will say "Diannalynn it." (that's my name)

When we decided it didn't make sense to use the designated, carpeted dining room with a bunch of kids, I talked my husband into turning that room into a library. So our piano is on one wall and the other 3 are wall-to-wall books! I love that room so much!

That's all of my nerdiness I can think of just off hand, but I'm sure there's more.

2 people like this.
  17. becasquared

Dielle - I love sewing and crocheting and playing (creating) music. And your library sounds divine. In fact, I can't wait to get rid of a lot of the kid toys so I can get a real piano in the house.

18. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Let me tell you, I'm a proud nerd and so is my husband. And we are raising little mini-nerds.

I am a HUGE fan of Lord of the Rings. I saw all three movies several times in the theater. DH and I met over our mutual obsession about LOTR. Our wedding rings have elvish engraving on them that reads "One Love". Our wedding bands are simple gold bands we tried to make them look as close to the One Ring as possible.
    I will read anything sci-fi/fantasy...DH and I both mutually geek out over Game of Thrones. My goal is to have us all dress up as GoT characters for Halloween one year: DH as Tywin Lannister, Me as Jon Snow (I have dark curly hair, it would so work), DD as Arya and DS as Tyrion.
    My DH is a huge, huge fan of Star Wars. Our family room looks like something that came out of Skywalker Ranch. DH and I also share a mutual love of Harry Potter as well.
    We watched Firefly on Netflix and wondered where has this show been our whole lives and WTH was Fox thinking canceling it?

I prefer 60-70's rock bands over today's music. My kids have inherited my love of the Beatles and I'm exposing them to Pink Floyd, the Doors and Led Zeppelin (my brother does a fist pump over this because he is the one who reared me towards that music as a kid).

Mr. Spock was my first celebrity crush. And next to the Johnny Depp poster on my wall was a poster of Saturn and Halley's Comet. Our kids are obsessed with the planets, stars, galaxies and I have no problem encouraging that because I love that stuff too.

So yes, my family and I=a bunch of weirdos :laughing:

3 people like this.
  19. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Amen Momma! When the kids are older we'll have a family movie night featuring "The Wall"....when they are well older of course and I sincerely doubt it will be as awkward as it was to watch Porky's for the first time with my Dad (I was in my 20s at the time).

20. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Emailing your spouse interesting articles is nerdy?! DH and I do that all the time too. He also emails me funny Hello Kitty things that he knows I'll appreciate. When we bought my minivan he got me a Hello Kitty license plate holder. Yes I'm 37 and still heart HK!

Other things that people would consider nerdy, but that are just me- I love books, libraries, university campuses, classical music (and I also identify key changes and my girls like to pick out the instruments they hear), science shows, documentaries, and thinking up new scientific experiments. I love that my girls know what a hypothesis is (thanks Dinosaur Train!), and design experiments all the time.

21. miss_bossy18

DH & I used to do this too! We haven't played together in a while though. Now we usually just watch something (most recently Game of Thrones). :good:

I ponder this question almost daily. And will never forgive Fox. Ever.

2 people like this.
  22. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i desperately miss playing my clarinet and am seriously considering joining a concert band, just to keep playing. i hated to admit it as a kid, but i'm proud to say now that i was amazing at the clarinet! it was my "gift" :)

there's something about the library, that as soon as i walk in the doors i feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

i SUCKED at science, but i LOVELOVELOVE the Museum of Science and Industry (here in chicago). actually, i love all museums.

i push my glasses up my nose like a nerd: right inbetween the lenses. :)

23. Mama_Kim

Welcome to our world! My guys love watching stuff like that and Brian plays mostly classic 70's rock (Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc.) on guitar. So fun! I trained them well. :good:

24. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I am a complete body systems nerd...I love looking up the pathophysiology of disease , studying the lab results of said disease and the different classifications of drugs to treat...I'm also a HUGE Star Trek nerd!!

Tony is a complete fantasy/sci-fi nerd....Loves RA Salvatore, DAvid Webber, and some other author I don't remember...he also can't wait till Ian is old enough to play D&D..

25. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Want me to talk royal? I'll talk you some royal baby. I am not allowed to watch royal programming on tv because it is sooooooooooo dummed down I'll start throwing stuff. Especially if its a TLC "special" (the only station I can watch royal stuff on is CBC and occasionally CTV)

Love other countries too. I've stayed up over night to watch weddings and funerals online in languages I don't know. (was up about 40 hours watched the Swedish wedding in June 2010 and can STILL gush on about it - "Once upon a time there was a young man who, while not quite a frog, was not a prince either" *swoon*)(William and Catherine- whateves....)

I'm planning my May around Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Canada. (waiting on the itinerary) and I told my new boss I will be taking days for it.

Have you seen my collection?

---

I love Jasper Fforde. The main theme of his books is mega freakin' weird.

2 people like this.
  26. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I read the first 3 or 4 Thusday Next books and really liked them but then got hung up on the next book and couldn't get into it. Are his other series' similar?

27. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The Nursery Crimes series is fun just to read the take on such well known characters and the new Last Dragonslayer book is in the same vein as Thursday Next only YA. And Shades of Grey is unlike anything ever. It takes 2 or 3 reads to get it all.

28. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ooh, this is a fun thread.

1.) I LOVE to read. Anything will do- I love going to Dr's offices just for the new material! Libraries make me really happy as does the SMELL of an old or new book. My birthday present was a Kindle and I'm now discovering the ease and enjoyment of digital books. :popcorn:

2.) History- (my minor) makes me really happy. I like to learn about the stuff you don't get in most history classes like Benjamin Franklin essentially judging a wet T-shirt contest in France while getting the Treaty of Paris ironed out and signed.

3.) I have a nerd-crush on Neal Conan and will straight up end a phone call when the Political Junkie is on Talk of the Nation. :wub:

4.) I want to go to law school as well as grad school someday. In my dreams it combines everything I love about reading with human history.

29. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

What an interesting thread! I am relatively boring compared to everyone else in the nerd section, so much so that I just asked DD what she thought I was nerdy in! Lol!

I love reading, I will read anything and I love libraries (oh the quiet! How I love the quiet!). Maths was my favourite subject at school and I am incredibly methodical, (to the point of annoying).

I am also really good at reading manuals and can easily setup cable tv (or anything with cables) and know how to fix a computer (which my DD says is nerdy but in a good way)

30. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We also have 2 WoW accts and play together a lot. We even raid together twice a week in our guild. You would have thought we won the lottery when we both got the beta key for the expansion, lol.

I love reading. These days I tend to stick with more mindless stuff, but I also love a good biography. And I can spend an entire day in the library and think it was just 5 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  31. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Danielle, when I was kid, I wanted to play the clarinet in the worst way. My mom refused because one of my brothers had previously insisted on playing the trumpet and gave it up quickly. Mom refused to buy another instrument. :cry:

32. Mama_Kim

Well, that's kind of nerdy right there! :good:

DH and I love to get nerdy together. He's a huge aviation buff so he can spend hours showing me photos of airplanes and talking statistics on them. And we are just as likely on a Friday night to stay up and watch Real Time with Bill Maher, discussing politics, as anything else. We can have fascinating discussions on the most minute of subjects. Sometimes our boys just :rolleyes: but oftentimes they join right in!

33. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Oh I thought of some more. Love NPR (neal coen ref'ed above made me think of this)... I've had many driveway moments! I also love my violin. I've play a little since college (in community orchestras), but haven't had the time lately and I miss it.

1 person likes this.
  34. miss_bossy18

Speaking of guilds, here's a little Joss Whedon connection - have you seen The Guild by Felicia Day (who was in Buffy & also Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog)? If you've ever played any MMORPG you'll appreciate it but it rings especially true for WoW players. They're currently working on season 5. You can watch all the episodes on Felicia's YouTube channel Geek & Sundry. It's hilarious.

35. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I saw The Guild listed when I was looking for online episodes of Game of Thrones (I don't get the channel it's on :( :( ), I may have to watch that one too! :D

1 person likes this.