Genetic Testing

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sarawoodside, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sarawoodside

sarawoodside Well-Known Member

So I was wanting to know if you got your twins tested to see if they were id or not and who you used? At my 12wk u/s they said that they thouht they were di/di but were not 100%. When they were born the doc swore they were id but sent the pl off and they said that they saw the line and so they said they were frat. Here are some pics of them and please let me know what you think? No on in my family can tell them apart if they are not side by side unles they look at their birth marks. One has one above the left eye the other above the right eye. One also has a more square shaped face and the other is more oval. Please let me know what you think
    Austin
    http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp147/s...de/DSC01426.jpg

Landon
    http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp147/s.../DSC01423-1.jpg

SORRY ABOUT THAT!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't see any pictures?

ETA - I see the pics now but it's the same picture posted for both babies.

3. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I'd love to, but I don't see any pics. I'll check back :).

4. sarawoodside

Ok I fixed it and put the pics on LOL Sorry

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

They look ID to me :).

6. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

7. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I am going to go with ID for now but I need a side by side.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

There is a link at the top of this website for Proactive Genetics. There are a lot of TSers who have used them. GL! They are super cute.

9. sarawoodside

10. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

I vote ID!

Dianna

11. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Umm, yes definitely Identical!

12. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

13. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

www.dnasolutions.com is who we went with. They were the cheapest at $99. And very professional. I say ID!

14. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

15. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

I thought it was the same baby in the first 2 pics, so I'm saying ID. lol. And very cute!!!

16. lianyla

17. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I have to say ID .. mine looked NOTHING alike until after they were well over a year old.

18. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I wanted to say ID with the first 2 pictures and fraternal with the second 2 pics!! You will have to get them tested so we can know!! x

19. lianyla

Do YOU think they are identical or fraternal?? You said other's cannot tell them apart, but can you?? What about your husband??

It's REALLY hard to say when they are sooooo little. They probably will start to look more alike if they are ID.

I'm not convinced either way but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see more up close head shots!! When you get time, pls post them!!

As you can see, WE all love the ID or Frat game here!!

Gives us something to do :) LOL!

I can usually tell the first second I see them side by side if they are ID or not. If I had a gun to my head right now, I'd say they are fraternal. Little babies usually do look alike. I do not get the feeling that they are id when I look at them.

20. sarawoodside

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ Dec 11 2008, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1107640[/snapback]
    Do YOU think they are identical or fraternal?? You said other's cannot tell them apart, but can you?? What about your husband??

It's REALLY hard to say when they are sooooo little. They probably will start to look more alike if they are ID.

I'm not convinced either way but would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see more up close head shots!! When you get time, pls post them!!

As you can see, WE all love the ID or Frat game here!!

Gives us something to do :) LOL!

I can usually tell the first second I see them side by side if they are ID or not. If I had a gun to my head right now, I'd say they are fraternal. Little babies usually do look alike. I do not get the feeling that they are id when I look at them.

I can normally tell them apart. I do have to look at them good to look for the shape of the head or the birth mark before I know for sure. I have feed them the wrong bottle before (they are on different formula). Sometimes if they are laying the same way (they do that a lot LOL) it scares me how much alike they do look. Other times I dont see it at all.I will put some more up close on here.

21. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ok got to disagree with Ivfbounds for once. They look ID to me. Same mouth, same nose, same eyes, same hair..

What makes you think that they are fraternal?

22. sarawoodside

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Dec 11 2008, 06:27 PM) [snapback]1107685[/snapback]
    Ok got to disagree with Ivfbounds for once. They look ID to me. Same mouth, same nose, same eyes, same hair..

What makes you think that they are fraternal?

I was told that they were di/di.

here is another pic of them on Thanksgiving

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp147/s.../DSC01418-1.jpg

23. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I'll say ID, but I'm about 75% on that.

24. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They look more frat on the last one...

I think you're going to have to test :(

25. lianyla

Tricky, tricky... Speaking about the last picture, the baby on the right, Landon?, has his features more in the center of his face and the lips are more pouty. Now, if they were identical they would both have that characteristic. I see why it would be tough to know for sure. I do think they are fraternal twins. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see one of them both awake (lol, that only happens when the camera is OFF when they're that little), and looking at the camera. When they are asleep, they look different for sure to me. Who knows what I'd think when they were awake.

I have to say that I ALWAYS knew which baby was which in every photo. Could you all tell too?

When mine were that small, I thought they looked like a dog and a cat they looked soo different BUT now in photos when they were that little I have NO IDEA who is who and wonder how I ever thought they looked sooo different.. ?? It's strange. I guess the ONLY way I can explain it is when I see identical twins side by side in photos it "feels" like there is a mirror between them and they are looking in it or that there are two pictures of the SAME baby with the paper folded in half. With these two bambinos, I just do not get that particular mirror feeling.. BUT it is still early and I'm not going to call it 100%.

You can do one of two things; wait one more month until they get a little older and post us some more pics, or you can test. Pam had a great experience w/ her company (she posted above.)

If you do happen to get more pics of them awake or whatever, we'd love to see them.

Do you happen to have any early ultrasound pics? Like 10 weeks or before??

26. sarawoodside

I do but I will have to scan them in. I will let you know as soon as I have them up!

27. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I am no expert at all on this but if I had to GUESS I would say fraternal. Hey lil sis' looks like you might have to test after all!

28. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

My guess would be, if your family can't tell them apart, they are definitely ID!!! The first pics you posted look very ID to me. It's harder to tell with the other ones b/c of their positions. So cute!

29. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

You probably already know this, but identical twins can be di-di so that really doesn't help determine whether they are fraternal or ID. I think it's 25% of di di twins that are fraternal, but some ID experts here could tell you for sure :)

30. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

I have known ID twins who I could tell apart immediately, and there have been some I could never differentiate. The only true "expert" is a DNA test. Due to epigenetic factors (I won't bore you with the science :D), even ID twins can have particular differences, and these differences become more apparent, as the twins grow older.

31. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

the first pictures you posted i thought it was the same baby:) the last picture they look "slightly" different in the face-tough call; if they are Frat I would be shocked!

32. lianyla

CrazyMomma- I'm going to go with IDENTICAL after seeing your ultrasound pic. This is really a hard one. They are still sooooo little tho it's impossible to tell for sure. Like I said via PM, if I had to go on the ultrasound alone.. I'd guess ID for sure!

This is sooo fun! I agree with the first two looking like the same baby. If I saw just those I'd definitely say ID.. it's the other ones that are tripping me up! Ultrasound plus first pics = identicals.

33. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Identical for sure. I can't wait to find out.

34. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

Totally ID! THey look like they could be the same kid LOL!

35. lianyla

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ Dec 12 2008, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1108724[/snapback]
    CrazyMomma- I'm going to go with IDENTICAL after seeing your ultrasound pic. This is really a hard one. They are still sooooo little tho it's impossible to tell for sure. Like I said via PM, if I had to go on the ultrasound alone.. I'd guess ID for sure!

This is sooo fun! I agree with the first two looking like the same baby. If I saw just those I'd definitely say ID.. it's the other ones that are tripping me up! Ultrasound plus first pics = identicals.

okay.. It's just not sitting right for me.. I still think FRAT!! I don't know!! AAAHHHH!! test.