Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'General' started by kingeomer, Apr 1, 2013.

1. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So did anyone get to watch the premiere last night?

I thought it was a good opener to the season. I think the special effects were great. I wish Jon Snow had more then one expression then looking like he truly does know nothing.

It went by very fast.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When it ended I was like that is it. It made me want to finish reading the book.

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My husband has read the books so he has to tell me hours and hours of back story after every episode.

Definitely can't wait to see more episodes. I felt so bad for Tyrion.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I have to do the same thing with cousin lol

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:laughing:

I wish Sam would have killed those walkers at the beginning. I keep waiting for "Sam the Slayer" - what is taking so long?

I thought it was good, but I don't remember Margaery visiting Flea Bottom in the books. Did I just forget that part? Also, I guess they are going to cut out Sir Dontos from Sansa's story line.

I hope next week is the big scene when Danaerys gets the Unsullied.

6. kingeomer

I think Margaery does visit the people of KL and Flea Bottom in later books,for some reason I remember that but I could be confused. I am guessing Littlefinger will be taking Ser Dontos's place, that is a change I don't mind.

7. TwinxesMom

I'd rather littlefinger take over earlier. I actually strangely like him and I'm a huge tyrion fan

8. kingeomer

I forgot to add about Tyrion, I felt so sorry for him this episode. Tywin Lannister is, well, I can't say it without being crossed out...but he is the worst father ever! I said to my husband "And Jaime, Cersei and Joffrey are winners???"

9. AimeeThomp

Yeah, they are definitely setting something up with Tyrion and Tywin...

Also, I like how in the show they aren't making Danaerys so - I don't know the word for it - undecided? Confused? Like she is in the books. You can't tell in the show that she doesn't really have a plan. I like Danaerys of the show a lot better than Danaerys of the books, if that makes sense. But maybe I didn't feel that way about Danaerys until later on in the books, I can't remember.

I can't stand Littlefinger. :bad: He's one I love to hate.

10. kingeomer

Aimee, I have to agree with you on Littlefinger. And in an unpopular opinion, I feel that way about Jaime Lannister too (though I think the actor that plays him is gorgeous and a fantastic actor). I don't care what he does. I will never forgive him for pushing Bran out the window.
    I do like show Dany better then book Dany but I do think that Martin really lost the plot on her storyline during book 3 and 5, so hope whatever changes the show does make, it makes her storyline better.

My brother in law travelled to Connecticut for work and he brews beer as a hobby, well last night, he found Game of Thrones beer and thought of us...so we have Iron Throne Blonde Ale in our house.

11. AimeeThomp

Oh my gosh Nancy that is so neat! I had no idea GOT had its own beer.

12. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wonder why Strong Belwas wasn't in the episode?

13. AimeeThomp

Maybe he's one of the many characters they are cutting from the show. Or has he been in previous episodes?

14. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

You know who I am not a fan of... the lady that had the shadow baby...

15. kingeomer

Neither is Davos Seaworth :laughing: I think the actress (can't remember her name right now) is very good, but yes Melisandre is creepy.

I am thinking that since Ser Barristan did not bother with the alternate identity in the show that Strong Belwas isn't going to be in the show, or will be introduced in another way in another season maybe ?

16. kingeomer

So what did everyone think of last night's episode?

I thought it was very good. Absolutely LOVED the Queen of Thorns, Diana Rigg is perfect for that part. As is the young man who played Jojen Reed. The fight between Jaime and Brienne was great at the end, especially since she beat him :laughing:
    I would like to nominate the Queen of Thorns and Gendry as the smartest people in Westeros...her for saying "Um, I don't understand why we weren't on team Stannis...but my son is a waste of space..sooo..."
    And Gendry for saying to Arya, "So you had a guy who would kill any 3 people you asked him to and you didn't go for Joffrey or Tywin Lannister? This would have all been over if you did!" Reading my mind for years, Gendry.

I liked the scene where Catelyn is telling Talisa about her failure to love Jon Snow. That was heartbreaking. I felt for her and him.

Line of the week (for me): Robb Stark's sarcastic "So am I to guess which note has the good news?"

Oh and a nice touch: Bran's dream in the beginning with the call back to the first episode: relax your bow arm, laughter and Ned saying "Were any of you an expert marksmen at 10?"
    It was nice to see Bran, Jon and Robb in the same scene again.

1 person likes this.
  17. AimeeThomp

I really enjoyed last night's episode too, and I agree with you about the casting for the Queen of Thorns and Jojen. I laughed when Gendry asked Arya about the 3 she killed as well!

Did you see the previews for next week? It looks like it will be an action packed episode.

After seeing the scene with Bran's dream, it made me wonder if we will see Ned Stark again in a future episode - doesn't Bran go in to a heart tree and see him again?

I liked whenever the two men were talking about Robb and said something like he lost his chance at becoming king when he married her...so true! Kings don't get to marry for love.

18. becasquared

Jojen = Ferb's voice. :D

19. kingeomer

Bex, I told my husband that and he was like :woah: He was also the little kid in Love Actually (and doesn't look like he's aged much since then).

Aimee, I agree with you about the line from Lord Karstark regarding Robb's marriage. And I would love to see Ned Stark again. If Dany got to see Drogo in the House of the Underwhelming Undying last season (the best part about the sequence), then I have no problem with Bran or any Stark child having a vision or dream with their father in them. I know there are a couple sequences in the future books where Ned pops via tree internet (Bran and the heart tree) and hallucination (during Cersei's punishment in Kings Landing).
    Hearing his voice in the last episode made me realize just how much I missed Sean Bean on this show :cry:

The promos for next week looked very intense.

20. becasquared

Yeah, we were looking him up (Thomas Sanger IIRC) yesterday at work, and he's 22. And Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) is 20. And Arya has boobs.

And the Hound (Rory McCann) is still hot.

And Hodor has a face tattoo.

21. AimeeThomp

The Hound is cute when he's not hounding! I wouldn't have ever guessed that. I really liked his character in the books, and Samwell Tarley too. I liked Sam in the books so much more than Sam on the show. I pictured him as being a lot more attractive.

22. kingeomer

Yes, the Hound is cute when he is not the Hound. He has a lovely smile!

Bex, GRRM confirmed on his blog that Strong Belwas has been cut from the show :(

Hodor has a face tattoo?! :faint: I had no idea.

23. kingeomer

So, what did we think of last night's episode?

I think this season is off to a great start. I absolutely loved the opening sequence at Riverrun. My cutie, Richard Madden, totally owned it as Robb. The Blackfish and Edmure were everything I hoped them to be. Catelyn continues to break my heart. I loved Arya and Gendry's goodbye to Hot Pie and that Hot Pie made her a wolf cake. Still can't get very interested in Jon's stuff yet. I'm waiting for Ser Barristan to smack Dany upside the head (he should) but her storyline is MUCH better this season then last season. I could have done without the Pod losing his virginity part and the chair stand off between Cersei and Tyrion while funny(...this episode had a lot of good reactions and comedy...about as much as GoT could possibly have anyway) just seemed like pointless scenes. I half expected Tywin to tell them both to stop wasting his time or I guess it was the Tywin in my head because if my adult children were doing that while I was trying to hold a meeting, I would have been like, "Oh my God! Grow up!"
    I have to say for as much Jaime's accent for the show completely annoys me, I do like the back and forth between him and Brienne. The actor plays him well (and I love his natural accent, I know he can't use it for the show because why would Jaime sound like he's from Denmark?) but both DH and I were not feeling his reaction to losing his hand. Theon had more of horrified reaction to almost being raped then Jaime did to losing his hand. I would have rather Jaime fainted from shock.

24. becasquared

25. becasquared

Last night's episode? Two words:

Awe.
    Some.

I think last night's episode was the best episode of the season so far. Gilly and Sam, Dany & the Unsullied, Beric Dondarian and the Hound. I was thoroughly impressed and I plan on watching it again tonight if I can.

26. kingeomer

I thought the last 20 minutes made up for the first 40 minutes. I knew Dany knew the language and that the dude was totally insulting her the whole time and I knew he'd be dragon food once she made the deal.
    I really felt like this episode honed in on the women...Cersei telling Tywin that she is smarter then her brothers to which Tywin is like, um, no all 3 of you are useless, really. You have no control over Joffrey. But I did like Cersei calling Tywin out on how much more loves his legacy then his own children. I don't think that is something that is said in the books but it's definitely implied. Olenna complaining about the Tyrell house words (she is made of win, I swear she reminds me of my Mom) and getting the idea about marrying off Sansa to a Tyrell (and nice a callback to Joffrey's sentiment of punishing homosexuality with death...so if their marriage plans work, the Tyrells have their hands in Winterfell and Loras would be safe from Joffrey). Margarey playing Joffrey like a fiddle. Brienne telling Jaime to suck it up and not be a coward and then ask why did you save me? Gilly having an escape plan in hand.
    I am glad that the Old Bear got to go out like a boss, he will be missed.

I've enjoyed the first 2 seasons but I feel like this season they've really stepped up their game.

27. becasquared

I'm looking at facebook this morning and I'm giggling about all of the reaction to the Red Wedding last night. People that haven't read the books that had no idea what was coming are cracking me up!

1 person likes this.
  28. becasquared

29. Chrissy Nelson

I have not read the books and I seriously almost cried. WTF!!! It was horrible! I did read where they said in an interview that Catlyn Stark could "come back" as she does in the books. How is that possible?

30. Chrissy Nelson

I hate when I go to read about what happened during the show and all I hear is people that are fans of the book complaining about how the show creator changed it from the book. It is th same with True Blood. Of course it is not exactly like the book.

31. becasquared

Chrissy, all I'm going to say is don't get attached to anyone, good or bad.

Spoiler below:

As for Lady Catlyn coming back, yes, she does in the book. But not in this season.

32. AimeeThomp

I watched the whole episode with one eye open. Leave it to HBO to make it even more tragic/tear jerking than the book! Not that I'm complaining! But gosh, stabbing the pregnant woman right in the belly?
    That was a lot of bloodiness.

33. TwinxesMom

I was having the same reaction to the red wedding. It was like umm if your that big a fan read the books! I'm a true blood fan and have read all the books and actually like that everything isn't exactly the same as I think I'd get bored

34. kingeomer

The Red Wedding totally gutted me (no pun intended) in the book and in the show. Robb and Catelyn are some of my favorite characters and how it ends for them is just awful. I cannot wait for the Boltons, Lannisters (except Tyrion) and Freys to get theirs. The scene was so well acted, the actors who play Robb and Catelyn were terrific.
    Honestly, as a book reader, I thought the way it was done in the book worked for the book and I think what they did in the show worked for the show. Chrissy, I don't want to spoil the books for you in case you do read them but the wedding scene is more ominous in the book-the food is bad, Catelyn insists on Robb asking for bread and salt-because guest rights are sacred in Westeros and that means once the bread and salt is offered, they are guaranteed a safe stay. Walder Frey violating that custom has just made him a pariah- the music is too loud and Edmure's bride spends most of the ceremony in tears. So as you read it, you know something is not right here but you can't put your finger on it. Until everything goes crazy. The show made it a jovial affair to give not only the characters the false scene of safety (just see how relaxed Catelyn was-joking with the Blackfish and Bolton-when was the last time she was that relaxed in the show...the very first episode of season 1?) but also the viewers (especially those who have not read the books and I bet those people make up most of the viewers of the show). It was well done and well acted and I have no complaints.
    I think GoT book purists ought to be thankful for the show because it is largely faithful the books. They might cut and change some things but the story is going in the same direction as the books. True Blood in story and characters are a completely different being then the books they are based on.

On the shallow side, I will miss the hotness of Robb Stark :blush:

35. becasquared

Oh yeah, I have no complaints on how it was done on the show. Television is a visual medium, Books are an intimate written medium. For television to have as much of an impact as a more intimate book, it has to be over the top showy sometimes. The acting in that scene is fantastic. Michelle Fairly totally deserves an award for that scene. Remember, she totally thinks that all of her children are dead except for Robb, and when Robb bites it, well, of course she's going to go balls-to-the-wall out.

1 person likes this.