gall bladder surgery - recovery time?

Discussion in 'General' started by eagleswings216, Jun 3, 2014.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I've got an official consult tomorrow with the surgeon, but based on ultrasound and other tests, it looks like I'm facing having my gall bladder out.  For anyone whose been through this recently, what's a realistic recovery time?

I work as a mental health counselor in an elementary school, and I am working summer school - 3 weeks smack in the middle of summer.  So not a super physically demanding job, but I do sit on the floor and do activities, etc. 

We also have a vacation planned, and possibly a trip to see family several states away, so I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to plan around a surgery, too, and if it's possible to do all this in the 2 months I have to work with, or if something is going to have to be canceled.  Once the school year starts again (mid-August for me), I have only 2 paid days off all year, so I HAVE to get the surgery done this summer if it's happening.

2. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

I had it done several years ago, the incision was only about 1/2 inch. Recovery was only about a week. It really wasn't that bad especially compared to the other many many surgeries I had. take your pain meds and just let your body heal. but it isn't that bad, I think you will be able to do summer school and the vacations you have planned.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think you will be fine.  I had mine taken out in 2005 was in the hospital between 24-36 hours.  I had a laparoscopic surgery done.  My surgeon had told me before the surgery that he would not know if he would be able to remove it laparoscopically or have to cut me open (which is what they did when my Mom had hers removed in the 80's).  I missed a week of work because I wasn't allowed to drive and followed up with the surgeon a  week later, was back to work and pretty much back to normal.
    Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on each person and how fast they heal. Also I think it depends on age - I think younger people heal faster than older people.

With that being said - here's my story. I had mine done when I was 26 - it was a laparoscopic surgery and I was in the hospital overnight. I got out of the hospital the following morning and I was able to go out to dinner. If I moved a certain way I felt it - but it was a small cramp - nothing major.  I had the surgery on a Thursday and by Monday I was back to work. I took it easy that weekend but I was still able to go shopping - it wasn't too bad, I was able to move around and do basic stuff around the house. I am not sure how fast I would heal now at 36, but back then it was easy. I think you should be fine to do everything this summer - if I were you I would plan this surgery ASAP to get rid of it. I think you should be pain free within a week.

Good luck - I hope all goes well with the surgery and you heal really fast.

5. eagleswings216

Ugh, well, they are making me go for yet another test.  I've had reflux since I was 14 and the surgeon isn't convinced it's really my gall bladder.  I can't seem to make him understand this pain is totally different.  Sheesh, I just want to know something and have it over with!!!!!

6. kingeomer

Did they do an ultrasound of your gallbladder?  I know my Mom went years with gallbladder troubles before they would finally take hers out.  I hope you are feeling better soon :hug:

7. eagleswings216

Yes, they did an ultrasound.  The radiology report said I had a solid shadow, indicating my gall bladder was full of small stones.  So not one large stone or several clearly observable stones like most people with gall bladder problems have.  The surgeon already made me get a scope of my stomach to be sure I didn't have an ulcer or hiatal hernia, which I agreed was good to get checked out.  I'm not happy about having to do this HIDA scan, too.  I really feel like he's fixated on my reflux issues and not listening to what I am feeling, which is totally different.  I'm about ready to go get a second opinion honestly.  I can't imagine going through this for years before it's fixed!

8. kingeomer

:hug:  I am sorry you are going through this.  I would totally get a second opinion if I was in your shoes.  I do remember how often my mother would get sick when she had her gallbladder attacks, it was very scary to see as a child how much pain she was in.  Please keep us posted with how you are doing.

9. monica77

Sorry you are going through this, I hope they decide to take it out.

I only had one of those attacks Nancy mentioned - I went to the doctor - they took an ultrasound - I had 3 big stones - they said I can live with them and deal with it with diet or take them out - I wanted to take them out and I think it was the right choice for me. I felt better as a whole after, I think it was giving me headaches- not sure if it was related or not - but I think I had more headaches before the surgery - plus the digestive discomfort - all that is gone. I don't think I have any side effects - other that it bothers me when I eat something that has fried onions in it - but I really don't like fried onions anyway so no big deal for me.

I really think it's worth taking it out as opposed to dragging it a few years and dealing with the discomfort and then you would end up taking it out anyway. Good luck!

10. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The HIDA scan may also show your gall bladder too. My DH had his out when the boys were 1 and his u/s showed nothing but the HIDA scan showed his valve wasn't working so bile was leaking back in. He had it removed within a few days. Good luck!!

11. eagleswings216

I had the HIDA scan today, and they couldn't even get my gall bladder to show up.  They tried the normal way first, then even tried giving me morphine, and nothing.  I go Tuesday to get the official report from the surgeon, but the tech said that indicates my gall bladder isn't working at all.  If this surgeon still won't take it out, I'm definitely going for a second opinion at this point.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

The HIDA scan is a normal part of gall bladder diagnosis.  and I totally agree if he won't take it out find a surgeon that will.  Oh and with the HIDA scan they aren't supposed to give you narcotics for 6 hours prior to the scan. 

I had mine out laparascopically as well - stayed in the hospital for 48 hours (mine was horribly infected though)  Recovery wasn't bad at all

13. eagleswings216

I had a really, really bad night.  The attack started at 2am and was still going strong when I had my pre-op appointment at 7:30 (that had already been scheduled from last week).  Fortunately, the surgeon had a cancellation tomorrow morning, so I'm having it out tomorrow.  He also gave me pain and nausea meds to get me through today, which finally stopped the attack.  I'm glad this isn't going to drag out any more!!  Thanks for everyone's experiences and input. 

14. monica77

I am sorry you aren't feeling well, but I am glad you are having it done tomorrow, you will get rid of it once and for all. I hope all goes well with the surgery and you will recover fast.

We are thinking about you - let us know how it went when you get a chance later this week. Good luck!

15. kingeomer

:hug: Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Post and let us know how you make out when you can.

16. eagleswings216

I've been home for a few hours, and am doing pretty good overall.  Pretty sore, but the pain meds are keeping me comfortable, so it's okay.  We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow I guess, but so far, so good!

17. monica77

Wow, they did it as an outpatient surgery?  I hope you are as comfortable as possible and I hope it heals fast. I am so glad you got rid of it - I am sure you will notice a difference after you heal. Thanks for the update.

18. kingeomer

I am glad you are feeling better and thank you for updating us :hug:

19. eagleswings216

I'm still hanging in there.  Was able to shower and get dressed more "normally" yesterday, but I'm still pretty sore.  I was hoping the soreness would go away a bit quicker. 

I'm trying to take it easy and get better, but it's hard with two 4 year olds who want Mommy for everything and won't hardly take no for an answer or let Daddy do a lot of things.  I'm sure that's slowing my recovery down.  One of them is recovering from a double ear infection, so he's especially whiny and clingy with me.

20. monica77

I hope you are feeling better by today. My advice would be - get some mederma to apply on the scars - once everything it's healed. The scars will fade away much faster. Hang in there!