fundal heights

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by laura305, May 14, 2008.

1. laura305

laura305 Well-Known Member

Just out of curriosity i know fundal heights do little when you're pregnant with multiples except to tell you if you're growing or not, she checks just to see how much growth etc.. shes a mom to twins also. I had my appt yesterday and i measured 34 weeks, my dr seemed a bit flustered, slightly concerned for me to be measuring that big already when just 2 weeks ago i was measuring 28 weeks. that means over 2 weeks i've jumped 6cm. Is this normal to be this big at this point? is something poetentially up? I have an appt with my PERI on monday for an ultrasound and such. I've only gained 16 pounds so far, so its not like ive gained a ton of weight. Anyone else 25 weeks and know their fundal heights..

This explains why i'm so misserable heres a belly pic for fun..
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/ju...98/may08012.jpg

2. 2forjoy

2forjoy Active Member

I KNOW EXCATLY WHAT YOU MEAN! AT MY 20 WEEKS DOC VISIT SHE MEASURED MY BELLY AND IT WAS 28 WEEKS AND NOW I AM 22 WEEKS I THINK IT WILL 30 WEEKS MEASURING.LOL JUST YESTERDAY I MET MY COUSIN SISTER WHO IS TRAVELLING BACK HOME FOR A SHORT TRIP AND SHE SD I LOOK BIG!!! I AM SURE WHAT IS THE INDICATION FOR ANYTHING BUT I HAVE CUT BACK ON SUGAR IN ALMOST EVERYTHING AS I HAVE MY GLUCOSE TEST AT 24 WEEKS AND I DON'T WANT TO GET GD!!

SO JUST HANG IN THERE! I AM SURE BABIES ARE SUPER ACTIVE LIKE MINE AND LOVE TROUBLING MOM A LOT

tAKE CARE
    LOVE
    SHWETSQUOTE(juliet305 @ May 14 2008, 02:20 PM) [snapback]773163[/snapback]
    Just out of curriosity i know fundal heights do little when you're pregnant with multiples except to tell you if you're growing or not, she checks just to see how much growth etc.. shes a mom to twins also. I had my appt yesterday and i measured 34 weeks, my dr seemed a bit flustered, slightly concerned for me to be measuring that big already when just 2 weeks ago i was measuring 28 weeks. that means over 2 weeks i've jumped 6cm. Is this normal to be this big at this point? is something poetentially up? I have an appt with my PERI on monday for an ultrasound and such. I've only gained 16 pounds so far, so its not like ive gained a ton of weight. Anyone else 25 weeks and know their fundal heights..

This explains why i'm so misserable heres a belly pic for fun..

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

At 28 weeks I measured 35 weeks...that was the first fundal measurement taken (I had a different doctor that day...my doctor doesn't do them for twins).

Do you feel like you had a really big growth spurt??? I know that around 24-25 weeks I really popped...the growth hasn't been as dramatic in the last few weeks.

4. DoublyThrilled

DoublyThrilled Well-Known Member

When I was 25 weeks, I measured 28. Then, when I went for the next apt at 28 weeks, I was measuring 33.
    I guess, it's normal with twins.
    I also read in this forum that babies grow quite fast between 24 and 28 weeks. So, that might be the reason too!!!

5. gusnlilysmom

gusnlilysmom Active Member

I definitely popped out this past week. Previously I was measuring about 4 weeks ahead (e.g., measuring 24 at 20 weeks) - but this morning I measured 34 at 27 weeks. I've also started to get the "you suddenly look pregnant" comments.

6. laura305

QUOTE(SMax @ May 14 2008, 11:53 AM) [snapback]773245[/snapback]
    At 28 weeks I measured 35 weeks...that was the first fundal measurement taken (I had a different doctor that day...my doctor doesn't do them for twins).

Do you feel like you had a really big growth spurt??? I know that around 24-25 weeks I really popped...the growth hasn't been as dramatic in the last few weeks.

yeah i'd say i've had a spurt.... i put on like 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks... lol

check it out if it keeps up at this rate i'm seriously going to explode... lol

22wks
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/ju.../april08027.jpg

23w1d
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/ju.../april08009.jpg

23w3d (just cause i've noticed the spurt)
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/ju...pril08006-1.jpg

24w6d

7. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I was measured yesterday. I'm nearly 18 weeks but measured 24 weeks. My OB said that was right on track so far.

8. JediMom

JediMom Well-Known Member

It's normal to measure 6-8 weeks further along... and if you grow big babies, even further. My doc doesn't check me that way - we do unofficial ultrasounds to check the heart and then we do growth U/S once a month. I grow big babies! So, I imagine I am right about that 8-9 week mark, myself!

Hope that helps!

9. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

The last fundal height they took from me.. at 36 weeks was 52cm. :)

10. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

I was 34 weeks and measuring 52!

11. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

sounds normal to me! :)

12. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I just got measured today for fun and I was measuring 48 weeks and I'm 35 weeks, 2 days. She wasn't even going to measure me. I just wanted to know. I believe I was measuring around 8 weeks ahead for a while. I have definitely been growing. I gained 4 lbs. in the last week and 10 lbs. in 2 weeks before that. I thought I wouldn't be able to eat at this point, but I am. I can't seem to get enough food lately.

13. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

At 27 weeks, I was measuring 32. Im now 35.4 weeks and I prefer not to know. My belly has popped dramatically in the last 3 weeks so get ready as it will be worse (sorry!). I´ve gained 6 lbs in just 2 weeks also :eek:

Keep taking those belly shots - you wont believe it when you look back!!! I know I wont!!! ;)

14. MonicaBaker

MonicaBaker Well-Known Member

At 26 weeks I measured at 32 weeks. They very next week I went back and measured at 37 weeks! :blink: The crazy thing is that I only gained 1 lb! My Dr said large growth spurts like that are common with twins and he said there are no "typical" measurements for twins in comparing them with singleton pregnancies. I am scared to see how much I grew this week!

15. denali_ice

denali_ice Well-Known Member

At 20 weeks, I measured 40wks. At 30 wks, I measured over 50!

16. mommyto8

mommyto8 Well-Known Member

it sounds great to me.. I am 27 weeks.. and measured 38 weeks today :lol:

17. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

I've never had my fundal height measured with these twins. I tried to do it myself for grins and it seemed really large. I read that when carrying twins you look (and feel) 6-8 weeks ahead of a singleton pregnancy. I believe it!

18. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

First, you look great, and all belly...so you are lucky. LOL!

At my last appointment I was 19 weeks 5 days and measured 26 weeks...so yeah I would say I'm measuring big. My doctor just said you are going to measure bigger then what you are.

19. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I consistently measured 10 cm ahead since at least 24 weeks . I don't think it's abnormal, but I will add that sometimes a larger measurement can be a sign of polyhydramnios. . . so you do want the doc keeping an eye on it.

20. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

I was just measured on Tuesday. I was 24 weeks and measuring 30 weeks. Ditto Emily, polyhydramnios could be a concern. Also, are you having mono/di twins?

21. laura305

QUOTE(bebedoc @ May 17 2008, 03:52 AM) [snapback]778275[/snapback]
    I was just measured on Tuesday. I was 24 weeks and measuring 30 weeks. Ditto Emily, polyhydramnios could be a concern. Also, are you having mono/di twins?

we think mine are MONO/DI..

heres the pic..
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/ju...98/IMG_0003.jpg thats 10 weeks i dont have the 8 week on this computer.. but they are same bubbles barely visable membrane .. my dr and my peri havent been too concerned with flat out saying frat or identical.. my ob says we'll determine it when i deliver.. my peri has hinted thats what she thinks they are

22. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

They do look mono/di, but I'm not the expert so I won't say one way or the other. How often are you getting ultrasounds? I'm asking because if you are in fact carrying mono/di twins, there is always TTTS to worry about. Maybe this is the reason your OB seemed flustered about the large measurement difference? I've been told that I need to call my doc if I notice a large increase in growth/swelling over a short period of time.

Otherwise, I think you look great and you're measuring pretty close to what I am now so I wouldn't be overly concerned. Keep us posted!!

23. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think at the point you are at, I measured 8-10 weeks ahead. It's perfectly normal!

24. laura305

QUOTE(bebedoc @ May 17 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]779175[/snapback]
    They do look mono/di, but I'm not the expert so I won't say one way or the other. How often are you getting ultrasounds? I'm asking because if you are in fact carrying mono/di twins, there is always TTTS to worry about. Maybe this is the reason your OB seemed flustered about the large measurement difference? I've been told that I need to call my doc if I notice a large increase in growth/swelling over a short period of time.

Otherwise, I think you look great and you're measuring pretty close to what I am now so I wouldn't be overly concerned. Keep us posted!!

i see the OB every 2 weeks she does a quick ultrasound to check hearts and fluid and positioning. She doesnt really do any measurements, but she checks my fundal height, And i see the peri every 4 weeks and she does all the measurements and checks the fluid levels and baby sizes and my cervix and the hearts and the cord flow and the diaphrams and kidneys etc.

Today they measured 1lb 13oz and 1lb and 11 oz. She said they were measuring well.