from 4-6 the kids go nuts! Help

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jamiandkyle2002, May 2, 2012.

1. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't been on Twinstuff in forever!!! However, I feel like I am in need of help that only twin parents can understand!!! From about the time of 4-6, the twins age 3 and big brother age 7 literally go nuts! The run in the house, strow toys everywhere and are very loud! I know that I should be able to just tell them to sit down and be quiet but it doesn't seem to work. I am not sure what to do. Big brother seems to egg on the crazyness the most. So my question is what do you do during this time of the day??? Any great tips??? Suggestions????

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What happens at 3? What time does big brother come home from school?

3. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I'm not the best person to reply since this is a hard time in my house too. What has helped is making this time a little more structured (e.g. snack, TV show, chore for older child, etc). This is obviously the most unstructured part of the day, which contributes to the chaos. I also try to play playdates at the playground one day per week with a child my older son's age. After dinner, everyone settles down and it gets easier.

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Everyone's happy hour!

We try to be out of doors, usually in our own garden, sometimes at the park or playground, in nearly any weather from 4ish until I have to get dinner. We have our afternoon snack outside, everyone gets to run and play and make as much noise as they like, and then they are usually good to some calmer play alone while I cook dinner, or they help in the kitchen. On daycare days this is especially important - snack time to tell me about their day and then unstructured playtime with as few rules as possible to destress.

5. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I do need to get some type of structure at this time of the day, but there is just so much to get done! Food, baths, homework! Ugh, I was hoping for a magic fix!