Friend's water broke at 20 weeks? common problem or rare?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by danabd, Apr 7, 2009.

1. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Hi all. My friend, who I met at the ivf clinic the week after our transfers, was 20 weeks pregnant and her water broke around her one twin! Does anyone know how common this is? My doctor was no reassurance-just said cant predict preterm labors and it happens to some. Gee thanks! She is on bedrest at hospital and Im praying for her but they are saying babies only have 5% chance of survival. IT seems like there are many more miracle stories out there than just 5%! Im a little neurotic now and cant stop thinking about this, which is not good....but Im also asking for her sake. after 12 years of trying and finally a pregnancy with IVF, to make it 20 weeks and have this happen is SO unfair. Trying to keep the faith for her to make it to at least 24 weeks! Please pray for her-her name is April. Thanks!

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have no advice on pre-term labor and her water breaking. I'll be keeping your friend and her babies in my thoughts and prayers. :hug: :hug: :hug:

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

How scary!! :hug:

I have heard of one twin mom whose water broke around 20ish weeks and she was on hospital bedrest until she went into labor at 29 weeks. I think it is unusual to go that long between premature rupture of membranes and labor - but it can happen!

I hope that your friend and her babies are able to make it to 24 weeks at least. I'm so sorry that she has to go through this and I can't imagine how scary it must be for you. :hug:

4. nenasangel

nenasangel Member

I pray that everything turns out well for your friend and precious babies. You are all in my prayers.

5. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine had her water break on one of twins at 17 weeks. The doctors pretty much told her to only plan on bringing one baby home. Her twin boys just turned 7 on St. Patricks day!!! She made it to 29 weeks and they are doing awesome!!

6. melthoreson

melthoreson Well-Known Member

My sister's water broke at 26w with a singleton and she made it to 32 weeks and has a healthy 2 year old girl now. It was a scary ordeal for all, though... They worry a lot about preterm labor and infection... My heart goes out to your friend...each day can be very emotional.... My best to her...