formula weaning question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Feb 25, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

at what point (age) did you start or will you start introducing cows milk? was it 11 months for most? do you start with an oz at a time?

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I waited until a year with 2 of my older kids, 2 years with one of them (he had issues with milk), and around 10 or 11 months with L&L. When we got the go ahead from the doctor, I started with mixing 1/2 formula, 1/2 milk, then when they adjusted to that, we went to full milk.

1 person likes this.
  3. newtothis

:) thanks, tina!!
    my LO's drink soy formula so i wasn't sure if it mattered.

4. tinalb

My oldest son was on soy as well & we didn't transition him to milk until age 2. It depends on the reason why they are on soy. Is it a milk allergy? If so, they may have to have soy or rice milk instead of regular milk.

5. newtothis

they were never diagnosed with a milk allergy. they had a lot of reflux problems and they did the best on soy formula.
    i attempted once to introduce some good start and they had some mucousy stools. however it was never tested.

6. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

I started my older two at around 12-14 months and will do the same with the twinkies[​IMG]

7. tinalb

I would get your doctor's opinion the next time you are in. They might do best kept on some type of soy. I actually just continued to give Owen soy formula until he was 2, by then he seemed to have outgrown his problems with milk.

8. newtothis

thank you!!
    again i was just curious...i like to begin planning, lol! :ibiggrin:

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Donevan was on soy formula until 13 months, then I transitioned him to Rice milk or Soy, depending what was available at the store until he was 19 months, then I introduced cows milk.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sean had horrible reflux, I transitioned him at 10 months to Lactaid whole milk, he kept that down better than any formula's available to me, and better than regular milk. He stayed on that until 18-24 months or so, he finally outgrew his reflux at 18 months.

Transitioned Kaelyn at 10-11 months to whole milk.

Transitioned the babies at 9.5 months.

I started with 1/4 milk, 3/4 formula, then half and half, then 3/4 milk, 1/4 formula until we used the last of the container of formula up.

You'll have to discuss it with your dr, my dr and I were comfortable transitioning early with all my kids because they were all very big, eating lots of table foods already. My only concern was Liam, he's about 3 lbs smaller than my other kids, but still at the 25% weight range, and my ped said he was eating enough solids to make up for the lack of formula :)

11. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Around 10-10.5 months I gave them 2% in their sippies since they didn't drink a lot out of the cup to see if they would have a reaction. At 11 months I just replaced 1 bottle a day with a cup of milk and they got it:) They were only on 3 bottles a day at that point.