For those who delivered between 34-36 weeks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 3goodkitties, Apr 17, 2007.

1. 3goodkitties

3goodkitties Member

I am currently 33 weeks pg with mono-di twins. I was going to be delivering next week due to growth discordance and low amniotic fluid on one of my babies. However, my last ultrasound on Friday both twins weighed almost actually the same, a little over 4lbs and for the first time since week 20, my amniotic fluid is completely normal. Now we are waiting and seeing...I still expect to deliever between 34-36 weeks. Just wondering how much time your little angels spent in the hospital when more in that time frame. Also, were they able to breastfeeding? I really want my girls to come home with me.!!!

Thanks and congratulations moms!

2. Monika2006Twins

Monika2006Twins Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36w4d - so a little farther out than you are asking, but they went home with me after 4 days in the hospital (with me) after my c-section. They spend ZERO time in NICU, were in my room with me the whole time. I started nursing from day one. I did suppliment for the first 3 weeks until we got the nursing down, it took them awhile because they were so tiny ( 4 & 5 pounds). But we've been nursing 100% since then. You'll be fine, good luck! You're almost there!!!

3. Kateyes2022

Kateyes2022 Well-Known Member

I had the twins at 35 weeks 3 days. Jackson got to come home with me and was exclusively breastfeed. Hannah had to spend ten days in the NICU because of immature lungs, hole in her heart, and learning to feed. I didn't exclusively breastfeed until I got her home. I tried a few times to nurse her in the NICU once the feeding tube was removed but it was difficult. She would still get my breast milk though because I would pump. Unfortunately I had to stop breastfeeding when I was in the hospital for a week. I was on medication so I had to pump and dump but I eventually dried up :( . Good luck the rest of your pregnancy.

4. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 34 weeks 2 days. My last ultrasound 2 days before they were born said they weighed 3lb 11oz and 3lb 5oz. They were born weighing 4lb 8oz and 4lb 11oz. Evan needed a little help breathing that first day and they were both on the feeding tube for two days. After two days they were both eating out of a bottle and only being monitored for any set backs. They didn't have any and came home the day after I was released. So they only spent a total of four days in the NICU.

5. hopewait

hopewait Well-Known Member

Hi my twins were born at 35wks 3days - vaginally. They both had jaundice so needed phototherapy for about 4 days. They were home with us by the end of the week. My DD bf just fine. My DS needed a nipple shield to help him at first to bf. But within in 2wks was able to bf without any help.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

34 weeks and a day my little IUGR baby(2lbs 13oz) stayed 21 days (37weeks and 1day gestational age) and my big girl(4lbs 9oz) stayed 17 days(36 weeks 4 days gestational age)

7. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

My lil girls were born at exactally 35 wks. C-section. We were all in the hospital for five days. Ashley had to be on oxygen for the first 12 hours of life. Alyssa began nursing the day she was born and Ashley began nursing the within 24 hours of birth! They were both jauntice but never needed the phototherapy. We are home now for 5 wks and they are doing awesome!! They are both about 7 lbs. (birth weights were 5.4 and 5.6... so they were pretty big) Best of luck to you and your lil babes.. let us know how it goes.... PS great news about the growth discordance, or lack there of anyway!!

8. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36 + 3 and the girls had no NICU time. Both were 5 lb 7 oz, we didn't breastfeed. Good luck!

9. jennlynnmahan

jennlynnmahan Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36 weeks via C-Section. The ultrasound was showing our son to be 5 lbs and our daughter to be 4 lbs. He ended up being 4 lbs 4 oz and she was 4 lbs 2 oz. The spent a total of 2 1/2 weeks in the NICU. Our son had breathing difficulties, a hole in his heart, jaudice, and eating difficulties. Our daughter had jaundice and eating difficulties. The doctors wouldn't let me try to breastfeed because of their eating difficulties. They wanted them to use bottles so they would know exactly how much they were eating. I wish now I would have pushed for at least some non-nutritive sucking so they would get the hang of latching. I pumped for them the whole time we were in the hospital. Our daughter finally would latch, but wouldn't suck effectively. I never could get our son to latch. I made it 8 weeks of pumping and feeding them EBM before I gave up. I had to come back to work and it was so hard both feeding them and pumping. Have you received a steroid shot? I tried to get my doctor to give me one when they decided to move me up from 38 weeks to 36, but he refused. I am thinking that some of their issues might have been resolved with the shot.

10. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

It varies so much! Some women make big mature babies and others small immature etc. The good news is that twins usually mature faster than singletons and at your point in pg they will be just fine even if a few days/hours in NICU. :)

My boys came after my water broke at 35w5d and weighed 5-8 and 5-13. No NICU but Zach did need phototherapy due to Jaundice for a few days. He too had diff BF at first but by 2-3 weeks it tandem nursing bliss.

HTh and GOODLU CK B)

11. Mine were c-section at 36weeks, and were in the nicu for one week for prematurity and respiratory distress.

12. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

I delivered at 35 weeks 5 days when Baby A's water broke. The girls were 4 pounds 5 ounces and 4 pounds 11 ounces. They spent no time in NICU and came home with us after 4 days. They had a bit of trouble latching and got formula (which I had NO problem with) until they figured it out.

13. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

35w 4d....and they spent a little under two weeks in the NICU. Mine had TTTS though so they were being monitored. My bigger girl needed two blood transfusions right away (5lbs 5oz) so they watched her a bit. The smaller was IUGR at 3lbs 8oz and she was just there to grow. They were both bottle fed EBM but never could latch properly so I pumped exclusively until almost 6 months. HTH!

14. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

I delivered at 35 weeks + 1 day. They weighed 4lbs 12oz & 4lbs 11oz. One spent 4 days in NICU and the other spent 5 days. They had no serious issues, they were just in there for observation and to make sure their temperatures stayed up.

As for breastfeeding, they latched great but I had a huge supply issue.

Good luck!

15. annabell

annabell Well-Known Member

I gave birth at 34 weeks 1 day because of discordance in weight and lack of amniotic fluid. My son came in weighing 4 lbs 12 oz. my daughter was 2 lbs 15 oz. She stayed in the NICU for 27 days because of digestion problems. She was able to work it out without any invasive procedures. My son was in the NICU for 6 days for underdeveloped lungs (no oxygen, just a c-pack) and jaundice. I wasn’t aloud to try to breastfeed either because they wanted to watch their intake. So I pumped. My milk didn’t come in for 6 days, and I was very upset because everyone kept stressing how bad my daughter needed my milk. Like I didn’t have enough to worry about. :( It finally came in and she got all of it. My son then started breastfeeding when he came home with us. I still had to supplement him because I needed to pump and bring her all the milk she needed. Once she came home we breastfeed both and still supplemented. Neither were great at latching on so I pumped and breastfeed for 8 1/2 months. It was not easy but I think it really helped her digestion. Best of luck!

16. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 35 1/2 weeks via c-section. They were 5.14 lbs and 5.1 lbs. and didn't spend any time in the NICU! I breastfed both, although was having trouble making enough for both, so I pumped a lot and divided it up in their bottles.
    Good luck!

17. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

I delivered at 35w 4d and my boys spent 11 days in NICU. they had bottles of EBM in the hospital, and I pumped until they were 3 weeks old. then I transitioned them, but they did need a shield to latch on for a few weeks, at 6 weeks they were latching on w/o the shield.
    HTH
    Michelle

18. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

Hi there! Congrats on getting so far! :a_smil09:
    I delivered mine at 35w1d, and my twins spent 8 days in the NICU. And yes, I breastfed them. It is so possible, you just have to work at it, and stay dilligent. :)

19. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

20. Disa

Disa Well-Known Member

I had my twins at 35 weeks and 1 day and they only had to spend 4 hours in the NICU for observation. They've breastfed from the start, but I've had to supplement them with EBM.

21. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Mine came via c-section at 35.5 weeks, due to ultrasound showing discordance. (Where was the post about ultrasound calculations vs. actual birth weight? Ultrasound showed they were 6# 2 oz. and 4# 6 oz., but they were BOTH 4# 15 oz.)
    They were born on Tuesday, had to be warmed a little, and we all came home on Friday.

One had a hard time learning to latch, staying awake to nurse, and got down to 4# 3 oz. before she caught on. We tried every other hour, DH would sort of prime with a syringe (not needle!!) of EBM. Went on to nurse them 13 months.

Nursing was extremely hard in the first few weeks -- actually one of the hardest things I've ever done. But I am so glad we were able to work it all out and keep going. It was one of the best experiences in my life!

22. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

My boys were born vaginally at 35wks 5 days, the weighed 6lbs 4oz and 5lbs 9oz. They spent 15 days in the special care nursery (a step down from NICU) due to immature lungs, feeding issues and finally apena and bradycardia issues. Our hospital won't let babies go for 5 days after the last brady/apena episode- which really sucked and kept them there for a week longer than they probably would've been there otherwise. I tried to breastfeed for 9 weeks and it just never worked out. One twin would latch no problem and I had a hospital grade pump pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock. I also took all the herbs,supplements and Reglan to increase my supply but it would never increase at all. I hired a lactation consultant who had twins herself and we still couldn't get it going. I was extremely disappointed that BF'ing didn't work because I BF my first son and loved it so much. I guess you didn't ask for all that detail! Congratulations on your babies. Best of luck that you make it a long way!!

Kelly

23. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Had them at 34 weeks on the dot. A month of NICU time for Bem a month and a day for Emily. DS1 was sick with croup and strep and I got sick as well a little after they were born, so we didn't really push to have them home until everyone was healthy again.

Good luck with your pregnancy and delivery!