? for those on/were on bedrest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MrsBQ02, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

So I've been on bed rest for a week now, and this thought just jumped into my mind, slightly terrifying me- "I've been laying here for a week and not been paying attention to the risk of blood clots!" [​IMG] So while I guess I'm still getting up fairly regularly to pee of course, I know there have been spells of just laying there for a couple hours at a time at least- this can't be good. What did y'all do to keep the blood flowing? My dr failed to mention this risk, but I'm sure it has to be one! I'll ask about it at my next appt- but till then, y'all are most certainly the next best thing! [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

So I've been on bed rest for a week now, and this thought just jumped into my mind, slightly terrifying me- "I've been laying here for a week and not been paying attention to the risk of blood clots!" [​IMG] So while I guess I'm still getting up fairly regularly to pee of course, I know there have been spells of just laying there for a couple hours at a time at least- this can't be good. What did y'all do to keep the blood flowing? My dr failed to mention this risk, but I'm sure it has to be one! I'll ask about it at my next appt- but till then, y'all are most certainly the next best thing! [​IMG]

Thanks!

3. hammondsquared

hammondsquared Well-Known Member

that thought didn't really cross my mind, since i'm able to get up and use the bathroom. also, i'm in bed sleeping for about 10-11 hours a night, so a few hours on the recliner at a time didn't really concern me. i always feel better after getting clarification from my dr. though. [​IMG]

4. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

When I was at home I was getting up at least once an hour to pee, so I didn't really worry about it. On hospital bedrest I wasn't allowed out of bed at all, so I had to be put on bloodthinners. As long as you are getting up to use the bathroom and switching sides of the couch every hour or so I think you'll be ok! HTH [​IMG]

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

My doc never discussed clots with me and I never did anything specific to prevent them. I did spend evenings in my bed and daytimes on my couch with the never ending trips to the bathroom but other than that I didn't do anything special.

6. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

I was told to raise my legs a little off the bed and write the ABCs in the air, one by one several times a day to help the blood flowing...the same thing with my hands too

7. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

HI -
    my doc said to do some scissor kicks and move your legs around like you're swimming. I'm surprised they didn't mention this to you. Maybe call him/her and ask for specific recommendations for you - it couldn't hurt...
    good luck!

8. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I was on complete hospital bedrest, and a physical therapist came to give me a list of exercises to do to keep the blood moving to all my limbs and decrease the risk of blood clots. I'm sure your doc can advise you or get a list from a PT as to what you can do. Good luck, and you CAN get through this!! [​IMG]