for those of you who have brought home a new baby

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by hot2trottt4u, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

How old were your twins when the baby came home?
    how was it? i have been thinking about this alot lately.
    did it mess up the twins sleeping at night and nap time to hear a baby crying?
    just wondering and thought i would ask :)

2. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

My twins were 2 years and 9 months when Olivia was born. I'm actually shocked that they didn't have a bigger adjustment period than they did. They didn't get to meet her in the hospital b/c she was in the NICU and the twins went to go and staywith my parents until I came home. So, it was like they were at grandma's for a week, then brought home and BOOM, there was also a new baby. They did great though. They were a bit aprehensive at first and didn't really care to have much to do with her, but I think a lot of that was just their age also. I didn't have problems with them waking when the baby woke or anything like that...and they still did fine with sleeping through the night. I think we got lucky!

3. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

My boys were younger than your kiddos will be...they were 21 months old when baby came home. They did great. J is particularly attached to her. The first two days, when she fussed during their nap times, they would wake and then go back to sleep. Her cries never bothered them at night and now, her cries don't bother them during nap time either and her room is next to theirs. I think since they were used to each other, it was an easy transition (as far as sounds/noises from new baby) for them.

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My twins were 23 months when we brought Liam home. They had come to see him in the hospital and they came home from school one day and there he was. They actually adjusted to it pretty well. Meghan has wanted to mother him from the start and Nolan had his time when it was tough for him, but for the most part, he did great, too. Their sleep patterns stayed the same.

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My girls were 3.5 years when the new baby came home and it went very well. The baby crying didn't phase them in the least and neither did the time that I had to spend caring for the baby. After having two babies, one seemed like a breeze.

Now, having a toddler with a newborn is an entirely different story. :)

6. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

My baby came home 2 days after the twins first birthday they will be nearly 3 when we have this one and they are great they werent really that messed up by the new baby and he never woke them in the night or mucked up their feeding time I kept a good routine from the start and everything worked pretty well. I have changed more nappies at once than anyone should have too :) but they are so close and it is so sweet to watch them together.

7. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

They were 2 years 7 months when Becca came home. THe worst time for them was when they finally came to see me at the hosptial. I went in on Friday morning and saw them for the first time Monday night. They didn't understand I wasn't coming home. At home, the boys have been great! Her crying didn't bother them at all. I thought it would be much worse but I've been pleasantly surprised.

8. Our twins were 21 months old when we brought home our daughter. They actually did very well. Really, not too many adjustment issues. Which surprised us. There really weren't any sleep issues either. The boys have always slept together in the same room. They learned quickly how to sleep through each others noises, cry's, screams, etc! :winking: So when our daughter cried at night to eat or whatever, the boys never budged! They are all very close and play great together!

9. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

Reading the replies on this post makes me feel better! My boys will be just about 2-1/2 yrs when the new baby arrives and we've been curious about how they will react. We talk about the baby all the time, where the baby will sleep, sharing toys with the baby, reading books to the baby, etc. I suppose adding a sibling after having twins is less of an adjustment for the twins then if you only had one child because the twins are already so used to sharing parents attention.

10. *NJMom*

*NJMom* Member

My twins were 21 months when I brought our baby home 4 weeks ago. It hasn't changed their nap or sleep patterns at all. Their room is right next to ours and the baby's room and they do not get bothered by the crying. Then again, they've always heard another baby crying so they are used to it, know what I mean?

(By the way, how hard is it to write '"baby's" when you are so used to writing "babies'"? I mess it up every time! lol)

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My twins were 3 months shy of being 3 years old when Evan was born. No adjustment at all. Their rooms are across the hall from each other although Evan was upstairs with us for the first two months. They kept on the same schedule although when they turned 3 we quit their naps because bedtime was getting too difficult to get them down at night, but that had nothing to do with Evan.

12. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

my twins were a few months shy of 3 years old. Her crying didn't bother them. In fact, she shared a room with my son after a few months... and she still occasionally cries, and he sleeps through it!

13. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

Im the odd all I gues lol. Irelynd and Shae were 5 when we brought Mikiah home. They adjusted so well to her, the had more problems with grandma being here for 5 weeks and Unlce Denis than they did with a new baby. They have jealous moments but never take it out on her. They love her so much, too much sometimes. They want another baby! they said :wacko: maybe 3 mommy?!

14. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(3LuckyCharms @ Feb 18 2009, 11:35 PM) [snapback]1196027[/snapback]
    They want another baby! they said :wacko: maybe 3 mommy?!

That made me laugh. Gavyn wants a "real baby brother" now. :rolleyes:

My twins were 17.5 months when Giuliana was born and came home. They did great. Giuliana didn't (doesn't) cry much and when she did it didn't seem to phase them at all. The only real issue was that they didn't understand why I couldn't pick them up (c-section) but there were plenty of people around to do that; so even that wasn't a big deal.