For those of you that make your own baby food...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rmcobb12, May 20, 2009.

1. rmcobb12

rmcobb12 Well-Known Member

We are about to start solids in the next week or so and my goal is to make their food. I can't seem to find the answer to one of my questions though...

I breastfeed so I was planning on using EBM in the baby food. I have learned that baby food can be frozen for 3 weeks. Is that still true if it has EBM in it?

Did anyone breastfeed that did not use EMB in their food but instead used something else? If so, what did you use?

2. carlaj23

carlaj23 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2xthefun @ May 20 2009, 03:09 PM) [snapback]1321805[/snapback]
    We are about to start solids in the next week or so and my goal is to make their food. I can't seem to find the answer to one of my questions though...

I breastfeed so I was planning on using EBM in the baby food. I have learned that baby food can be frozen for 3 weeks. Is that still true if it has EBM in it?

Did anyone breastfeed that did not use EMB in their food but instead used something else? If so, what did you use?

I made baby food with my first son. Here's a link to some info on EBM and baby food purees (scroll to the bottom): Freezing Homemade Baby Food

Whatever I froze, I thinned with water if needed - but usually I didn't thin it prior to freezing. Otherwise I thinned with breastmilk or formula or water after I thawed the puree.

HTH!

3. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I always thinned with water as I reheated the food. Sometimes I used applesauce from a jar in the fridge then to thin it down. They still get plenty of breastmilk the usual way, so I never saw any reason to do it otherwise.

4. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I make my own baby food and I never add breastmilk/formula when thinning the consistency. I just use boiled water or if I am making apple sauce etc I just use the water that I had boiled the apples in.

5. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

i thin with cooking water to a consistency that seems right. if, upon thawing, it needs more thinning i add formula at that point (or in your case, EBM). i've found that most of the fruits/vegs seem to be thinner upon thawing so i've staeted freezing on the thicker side and seeing how it performs when thawed.

meat, on the other hand, seems to just get thicker and thicker and thicker. so i thin it down enough to pour smoothly into the cube trays, with the understanding that i'll definitely have to do more thinning when it's thawed. i typically use organic apple juice to thin it (and try to mask its taste)

i guess what i'm saying is i save formula (again, in your case EBM) for when i'm actually about to start feeding. i make their cereal per meal rather than freezing and i do any extra thinning right before they eat.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(piccologirl @ May 20 2009, 09:34 PM) [snapback]1322246[/snapback]
    i guess what i'm saying is i save formula (again, in your case EBM) for when i'm actually about to start feeding. i make their cereal per meal rather than freezing and i do any extra thinning right before they eat.

I used to do this too. I was always so surprised how watery it was when I thawed it and rarely needed to thin it. I would add applesauce to chicken to thin that. Mainly while prepping it though I used water. The only thing I added formula to was the cereal and you can't prep that ahead of time.

7. Alaskangirls

Alaskangirls Well-Known Member

Well I never used EBM to thin anything I used water. A lot of items come out the freezer thinner than it went in with condensation and ice crystals that form. I only used EBM in ceral in the begining if i had extra to use up in the fridge. The girls never took to bottles. Also I found some itmes never needed thining like avacados. they seem to get runny and runny-ier as i fed the girls. If that makes sense :) We had a blast making our own food. Way cost effective and well we are still at it. I love the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. Filled with lots of useful info from nutrional guidelines, food suggestions based on age, prep storing and sanitation and more. A ton of easy home recipes. Vegan based but she included a chapter on meat as well. Best Wishes

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I always add the water that I steam the veggies with. (not carrots) I never used breastmilk. Water is important too and I figured they were getting enough from me and cereal.