For those of you that make baby food

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amyjoy3, Aug 3, 2008.

1. amyjoy3

amyjoy3 Well-Known Member

Question for those that make thier baby food. Is one 'cube' one serving for one baby?

Also, for those that have used pure pumpkin out of the can...do you puree it with water and then freeze? Or do you from can to ice cube tray to freezer?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I remember asking my pedi and she said that one serving is about 2 - 3 cubes. I don't know about the pumpkin.

3. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the pumpkin. I didn't really measure "servings" I just popped a few cubes out and let them eat what they wanted. The most they have eaten in one sitting was 6 cubes between the two of them.

4. cole715

cole715 Well-Known Member

With the ice cube trays I use, one cube measures out to be 1 ounce. A small jar of baby food, stage 1, is 2.5 ounces, therefore 2-3 ubes. Stage 2 is 4 ounces so 4 cubes. I started out with 2 cubes then we worked our way up.

5. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make a suggestion. Instead of using ice cube trays I use these muffin liners and they work so much better. My boys are sharing one full liner of veggies at each meal. They are so much easier to deal with - you can put them in the dishwasher if you want. They hold more and it's way easier.
    Muffin liners

Not sure about the pumpkin..I haven't been able to find any locally right now.

6. amyjoy3

amyjoy3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PJ @ Aug 3 2008, 09:48 PM) [snapback]911866[/snapback]
    I just wanted to make a suggestion. Instead of using ice cube trays I use these muffin liners and they work so much better. My boys are sharing one full liner of veggies at each meal. They are so much easier to deal with - you can put them in the dishwasher if you want. They hold more and it's way easier.
    Muffin liners

Not sure about the pumpkin..I haven't been able to find any locally right now.

Do you freeze them in the muffin liners and then pop them out and transfer them to a ziplock bag for freezer storage?

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I found with twins that I prefer a larger plastic container. I purchased several of the same size that stack well. I've only made pumpkin fresh sorry and I just cut it up removing the skin added a bit of water into the microwave and blended well with hand mixer. I do the same with any fruit or veg.

Heather

8. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

QUOTE(amyjoy3 @ Aug 3 2008, 08:39 PM) [snapback]911929[/snapback]
    Do you freeze them in the muffin liners and then pop them out and transfer them to a ziplock bag for freezer storage?

Yep, I throw all the muffin liners on a cookie sheet and throw the cookie sheet in the freezer. Then either the next day or later that day, I just pop them out and put them in ziplocs. So easy!!

9. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

We use the silicone ice cube trays, they are more compact and easier to get the cubes out of afterwards. Like pp's one cube equals one ounce so I just measure accordingly. As far as pumpkin, the pure canned pumpkin is already pureed, I just scoop out some for the babies and then put the leftovers in an ice cube tray and freeze, works great. They love pumpkin spread on waffles, it's their favorite breakfast.

10. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

I also just pop a couple of food cubes out and what they eat, they eat. I like those muffin liners tho!

11. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I usually grab one cube fruit, one cube veggie, and mix both together with cereal. They hardly ever finish it.

12. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

I used to icecube trays and pulled out a few cubes at a time, whenthey needed more I just added more cubes, I found that I did not waste alot that way. I did use canned pumpkin and I just put it in the icecube tray and froze it. Then when I used it and needed it thinner, I would thin it at meal time :)