For those of you taking Iron pills **TMI Sorry** Has it had any weird effects on you Bowels?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kitkat72783, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

I've started taking Slow fe Iron pills and have noticed this week that my stool is the darkest shade of green possible, very sticky to wipe (sorta reminded me yesterday of a newborns first stool except of course harder), and smelly!

Sorry this isnt the pleasantest topic, but I was a bit worried, I didn't knwo if it was a side effect of the Iron Pills

I'm not constipated or have diaharea just these weird symptoms and a lot of gas and gas pains which I've had all pregnancy <_<

2. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

Oh, I had gas forever (still do!) In the beginning I was like that...but as my body got used to it it became more like normal...that was when I increased my fruit intake, my water intake, my veggie intake...just increase all the good things and then you'll walk around like me saying, oh that's smelt good...:lol:
    ok, that was tmi :huh:

3. caba

caba Banned

Everything you are describing is very normal ... Iron does mess with the stools.

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep, it's nasty. GAAH!

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. You may want to talk to your Dr about taking a stool softner as well as Iron can be very constipating.

6. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Jan 23 2009, 09:57 AM) [snapback]1158663[/snapback]
    I've started taking Slow fe Iron pills and have noticed this week that my stool is the darkest shade of green possible, very sticky to wipe (sorta reminded me yesterday of a newborns first stool except of course harder), and smelly!

Sorry this isnt the pleasantest topic, but I was a bit worried, I didn't knwo if it was a side effect of the Iron Pills

I'm not constipated or have diaharea just these weird symptoms and a lot of gas and gas pains which I've had all pregnancy <_<

YEP! I had all the same issues.

7. biglittle8

biglittle8 Active Member

I am on iron pills too, and they have the exact affect on my bowels that you describe. I've been told it is normal.

8. Mommyof3in05

Mommyof3in05 Well-Known Member

It is very normal I just started taking a pre-natal vitamin with extra iron and it does say that it will change the color and smell of the BM.

9. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

And if you're not taking the pills w/ Vit C, do. It helps your body absorb the iron better, and it may end up that you need fewer pills... and hence fewer side effects.