Food poisoning while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by cheezewhiz24, Dec 20, 2011.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

On Saturday I had chicken at Red Lobster and had indigestion ever since (like 1 hour after the meal and i still have it although not as bad) Sunday morning I woke up with diahrrea and I still have it (though not as bad). I don't have any other symptoms and yeah I googled. :slap: (It just occurred to me that food poisoning might not be good for the baby). Tomorrow I'll call the midwives but I have my regularly scheduled appointment on Wednesday so I feel silly for going in both days.

Tell me I'm not nuts or paranoid!

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

as long as its not Listeria (which is generally gotten through stuff like hot dogs, lunch meat etc...) I don't think its harmful...

BTW food poisioning is usually more violent and doesn't last as long (although the after affects do) you may have a mild stomach virus...

ETA - I had a horrible bout of the stomach bug while I was 15 weeks pregnant (I threw up 12 times in 5 hours and had diahrrea twice as much) and the dr. didn't even have me go in for IV fluids!

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I had food poisoning when I was 7 months pregnant with the twins! That was the only time I could empathize with those who had morning sickness. I just threw up. As far as I know, you protect your baby naturally. Just drink a lot and get it all out of you. :hug: I'm sorry. It is miserable. That said, our house just got rid of a flu that has been going around.
    eta: Yes, my food poisoning lasted about 4 hours once it started. Then I was all better.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would get yourself check out. That sounds similar the the "stomach bug" that I had right before I had my girls. The midwife said as long as I was drinking and not dehyrdated I didn't need to come in to see her. I wonder if I went in if they would have realized I was in labour and my girls might not have been so early.

5. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh no I'm sure it hasn't been fun! I have no experience with food poisoning so unfortunately can't help but I hope you're feeling better! :hug: What did your midwife say?

6. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I had food poisoning when I was pregnant with Erin. Horrible vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up needing IV fluids and Phenergan. I hope you are better!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, I hope you are feeling better!

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ah, sorry I didn't update you guys yesterday. I called and they confirmed Amy's theory that it wasn't listeria or something scary but probably a bug. They also don't treat listeria with antibiotics unless you are in he first trimester- both conditions are a let it run it's course thing. I started eating bananas and lots of bread and feel much, much better now.

It really appears to be a bug- my boys are now showing mild symptoms of it. We are buying bananas in bulk practically! :lol:

2 people like this.
  9. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad you're feeling better! Good luck with the boys! :hug:

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

This happened to me at exactly 7 weeks with this pregnancy. Ended up IN hospital for 2 days cuz I was sooo dehydrated from puking my guts out. It was HORRENDOUS!

Food poisoning is very very quick and violent! YUCK. Baby is perfect.

11. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

I've had a stomach bug 3 times since I've been pregnant this time around. It's just miserable, but you just gotta power through it the best you can. I think the worst part is how it wipes you out and makes you achey even after you otherwise feel better.