flying from NY to San Fran with 18 month olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by elhardy26, Mar 23, 2009.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

we're thinking of flying to san fran in october for a little vacation but i'm nervous to travel cross country with 18 month olds... how could we survive the trip out and back (lines, flights, naps, etc...) and how will they react to the time change? do you think it's doable?

2. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

def doable. I fly form Portland, Oregon to Ma every year with my 4 kids.

Time change: take s a bit to get used to but kids are adaptable.
    Flight: bring lots of snacks, books and toys they've never seen or not seen in a while. Be sure to bring extra binkies( If they use them) theyir blanket or whatever else is their security item.
    (I assume there will be an adult for each child?)

To be honest at 18 months it's not a bad age. I fine 2-3 y/o to be harder as th ey are getting more curious, more independent adn more unwilling to sit still. It's really not a big deal as long as you're prepared.

Have fun!!

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We've flown many times with the girls. It usually takes a day or two to adjust to the time change, but I try to push them to get onto clock time asap. I'm more flexible about naps and such. As for the flights, the last two trips (at 20 and 24 months) were much easier than earlier trips. They had more attention span and actually watched the DVDs we brought, they were more able to understand they couldn't just run around, but they didn't sleep like they used to when they were little. Go and have fun!!!

4. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

It is definitely dooable. I took my girls to Seattle at that age and they did great. First, I check the carseats with the baggage. They sleep in them all the time in the car but would never stay in them on planes so it was just another bulky thing to carry to the gate for us.

I always book them a seat. This way if they fall asleep they can curl up on the empty seat of they want. Also if i am traveling with my DH and my parents we take the entire row of seats on both sides of the asile and having the seat for the kids works great. When not traveling with DH I have been very lucky to have nice people on the other side of the girls seat that didn't mind having little baby feet on them so much.

I have always flown cross country on the red eye flight. Leaving for Seattle at about 8pm EST. The girls sleep a bit on the plane and then sleep all the way to the hotel. Once we get to the hotel they are up till we settle into the room and usually go right back to sleep then till about 8am. Then they took their regular naps. I have never had a time problem going west. My flights home have been at almost midnight, so the girls were a little cranky in the airport but eventually fell asleep on the plane. Once back home on the east coast I tried to jump right back into the regular schedule. A but crankier coming home but still not terrible.

Make sure you have lots of snacks and things to keep them busy. Also make sure you have enough diapers with you on the plane. For some reason Paige seems to go allot on the plane and has even soaked through pants and has had to go in just a shirt because I didn't have a change of clothes.

That is all I can think of now. Enjoy your trip.

5. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Check out JetBlue. They have the back-of-the-seat-tvs -- and those made our trip a total breeze when we flew from Long Beach to NYC! I think JetBlue flys to SFO or maybe Oakland. Have fun!

6. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Mar 23 2009, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1240758[/snapback]
    Check out JetBlue. They have the back-of-the-seat-tvs -- and those made our trip a total breeze when we flew from Long Beach to NYC! I think JetBlue flys to SFO or maybe Oakland. Have fun!

I forgot that, I have only flown JetBlue with the kids. Also, mine have trouble keeping the head phones on to hear the TV's. This year for our vacation I am going to get the girls the head phones that go with the Fisher Price DVD players. I think they may fit them better.

7. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Mar 23 2009, 09:59 AM) [snapback]1240758[/snapback]

Oh yeah, thaose aer great. We also have a portable DVD player and it is great to keep them occupied!!