Flying alone with two two year olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

DH and I have been planning a trip to the East Coast this summer to visit all of my relatives. We've just found out he has a trial scheduled for the middle of our planned trip and won't be able to come with us. So, I'm considering taking Cricket and Piper on their first plane trip by myself. They'll be 27 months old. We'd fly from Albuquerque to Atlanta, have a 1.5 hour layover, then fly from Atlanta to Rochester, NY. Both flights are about 2.5 hours long so the total travel time is about 7 hours, plus time to check in and get through security. I would check the car seats and have the girls strapped in with CARES harnesses, so no car seats to lug through the airport. I have a friend who could loan me her lightweight double stroller for use in the airport and while we're in NY.

So am I crazy to think about doing this on my own? Has anyone else flown alone with their twins at this age?

2. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Totally certifiable, LOL.

No, actually, I'm trying to picture it....it surely wouldn't be FUN, but it sounds like you could do it. You'll have to think of worst-case scenarios, and ways to circumvent them....like what if both girls scream bloody murder the entire time, on both flights, because their ears hurt? Will you have started potty training by then? Will you be able to manage taking one or both to the bathroom on the flight?

I imagine you'd have to skip nap, so they'll be cranky....I dunno, it sounds like an insurmountable challenge to me, but I know if I really, really wanted to do it, I would! I flew with Nadia many times during her first two years by myself, lugging the car seat on the plane, the stroller, you name it. It was never fun, but I survived....but I haven't tried with two. :huh:

I might do harness/leashes to get through security, regardless of how you feel about them otherwise -- because you'll have to take the girls out of the stroller, get their shoes off, fold the stroller and put it through the scanner, get your shoes off, etc. Meantime, I see two 2-year-olds running in opposite directions during all this....

All that said, I wish your layover in Atlanta were longer! You could always fly here, stay with us one night, and do the second flight the next day after you've recovered. :D

3. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have asked myself this question a thousand times, and every time I have chickened out. I'm sure it is possible. We have done 3 plane rides with our girls. One 2 hours and the other 2 were 4 hour trips. The four hour trips are not easy and that is with 2 of us. I think as long as they are in a stroller the airport part would be OK. I agree with above post that the security part would be pretty hard. I think a lot of airports have those "family" lines now and that would help. The acquiring all your stuff after it goes through the scanner while holding on to 2 2 year olds, and dealing with putting on your shoes, their shoes, keeping track of your items and getting the stroller back up and running would be a challenge. The plane ride?? Pray for decent moods, friendly people near you, and bring lots of entertainment. I highly recommend the DVD player. I think it is simply a toss-up. It would be a challenge no matter what, but I'm sure it is doable. They might be awesome the whole time. I remember before we had the girls I sat next to a woman on a plane with 2 little boys who were probably about 2. It was a 2 hour flight and they slept the whole way! I would never get away with that, but you never know. I'm sure someone will answer this with a successful story.

4. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

last february I took my girls from atlanta back to Chicago and they were 2.5. I say it is definitely doable. Bring lots of toys...and definitely get some new ones they've never seen before...and don't forget a portable dvd player and some snacks for the plane ride.

5. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're crazy. :p

6. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Honestly? I don't think you're crazy- it won't be fun, and likely quite stressful, but I think it can be done. Though there's one thing I think I'd do differently. Instead of the cares harnesses, I'd get those car seat attachments- Go Go Kids, I think? Main reason is because if your kids are like mine, they are used to their car seats, travel decently well in them, and know they can't get out. I'd be afraid that if they were in a "normal" seat they'd still want to get down, move around, etc... I think they'd also be more likely to fall asleep in their car seats than in a regular plane seat, which would help the stress tremendously if you could manage to get at least one asleep for a short while!!! I suppose every kid is different- some kids hate their car seats with a passion, so if yours are those types, then that'd be a terrible idea! :wacko: But otherwise, just bring LOTS and LOTS of snacks, toys, the dvd player is probably a great idea too! Good luck!!!

7. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

When we flew back from atlanta, we used the cares harnesses. Meridith did fall asleep...but it was about 20 minutes before we landed. Ashley did figure out how to get the seatbelt off but I caught it before she realized what she had done. They asked to get out of their seats but they didn't try. If you keep them entertained, they won't need to. I also sat in the aisle seat so that no one could escape.

8. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

Ok - you are NOT crazy!! I just got back on Wednesday from a trip to the east coast from Denver and it went fine. We also flew from Denver to Spain (15 hours plus) though I was not alone. I did not use our car seats because besides trying to get them through the airport it just leads to them kicking the seats in front of them the whole plane ride, which leads to angry passengers and a stressed out mom! I also used a Jeep double stroller in the airport. Here is my advice - for what it's worth.

1. Talk to them a lot before you fly about what happens at the airport (security, staying in the stroller, etc.) and what they need to do on the plane. I stressed with them that we wear our seat belts on the plane a lot because I didn't want any problems in that department. I also explained to them about the seat belt light and that we were not allowed to take off our seat belts or watch movies until the pilot said it was ok.

2. To keep them busy on the airplane get 2 DVD players and a who bunch of movies or shows they like to watch. My girls changed thei minds a million times. Buy them each one of those color wonder coloring books. The markers do not draw on anything but the special paper so you don't have to worry about them making a mess. SNACKS and Sippy cups!!! Bring more then you think they will need. Our girls are allowed to have their pacifiers for the whole plane ride. A bad habit but well worth it to have something in their mouths! Bring any special blanket or stuffed animal they love.

3. Getting through security - Take their shoes off and put them in your carry-on while you are waiting in the line. Don't bother putting them back on till you get to your gate. Explain to them that everything needs to get checked to make sure it is safe to fly.

4. Bring extra diapers in case you have delays as well as at least one charger for your dvd players.

5. Have them sit in the window and center seats so that you have them contained. You can also raise the armrests so they have more room to play.

RELAX!! Even if your kids are being total nightmares, your plane will eventually land and you will never see any of those people again!

9. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I think it is totally doable. Jack and Lily are almost always easier when it is just me. It is like they know I can only handle so much when I am alone with them. Throw in DH and all he** breaks loose. The start running everywhere and whining and kind of showing off for him. The grocery, library time, the park...they are all a bit easier when I am the only adult with the two of them. I think that the traveling may be okay...maybe even fun dare I say. I would think a big determining part would be if they are usually okay in the stroller. If it were my children, I doubt both of them would be screaming together on the plane but I can picture someone or both not wanting to be in the stroller in the airport. Anyway, you never know unless you try it so I say go for it! Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Oh, I also read somewhere that if you are on a flight and your children turn into nightmare screaming demons that you are supposed to buy a round of drinks for those sitting near you. Bring some extra cash, it might make you feel better to have a plan as to how to handle the other passengers if all turns for the worse.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

:wavey: I fly with them all the time by myself! At 2, I kept them in the stroller and then just took my time getting through security. It's totally doable. Might be a long day, but you can certainly do it!

Hire a bell hop on the back end to get your stuff to the car rental or baggage claim.

I always just strapped them in the airplane seats, but if you have the other harnesses that's great too!!

11. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

I think security is the worst and hardest part of the whole trip, and you can ask the airline for a pass so you can have DH or another family member in Rochester help you get through security. Call ahead to make sure, but having an extra pair of hands there might make all the difference.

FWIW, Rochester's airport is SO EASY with kids! They have a couple of nice play areas near the gates and security was not a madhouse (though there was one jerky TSA guy, but his colleagues apologized for him).

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Wrap toys for them and only start to give them one when they get fussy. Play "pretend plane" in your livingroom so they get an idea how they have to sit in their seats and what the rules are for being quiet, etc. Yes I agree with getting the leashes for the girls in the airport.

Stickers and a notebook each. They can have fun with these for hours. Try to not give all the toys out on the first leg of the journey.

Dress yourself well -- easy slip on and off shoes for security, have a good spot for your passports to get at easy without being able to be stolen. (same for wallet) Might be easier to have some money in various pockets instead of having to open your wallet. Bring an extra set of clothes for you. Even at their age they could get sick on the plane and all over you as well. plus always good incase you get stuck and have to stay in a hotel. Put the kids in easy to wear comfortable outfits too.

Ziplock bags for any diapers to keep the smell down.

More diapers than you think

heather

13. li li

li li Well-Known Member

We've flown to England and back 5 times since the girls were born. It's a 5 hour flight plus 1 hour connecting flight from here. It's really been absolutely fine.

Also, when they were exactly 2 years old, I flew an hour with them by myself and it was ENJOYABLE!. They were darlings at the airport then slept the whole flight. I definitely second pps advice (although we've never had a DVD):

- go to the dollar store and wrap up several cheap toys
    - take stickers, their own pads, crayons or new 'fancy' pens
    - also plasticine or play dough
    - bring a couple of new books - especially the ones with lots of pictures on each page (like a book of animals or working vehicles etc)
    - take things like breakfast cereal as snacks (takes a long time to eat)
    - take a change of clothes
    - I never used as many diapers as I thought I would
    - have a ball or something which they can run around with at the gate to tire them out (we had a roll of tape we used to tape up the pram and it worked a charm).
    - consider reins at their age
    - try to be last on and first off the airplane
    - accept all offers of help (I had loads when I was alone) if needed
    - definitely take a stroller (and no car seats if you can help it - we just check ours into the hold)

Sorry to be so concise, not a lot of time. The most important thing is to check that you CAN fly alone with both of them. Certainly in Europe, it needs to be one adult to one infant (under 2 year old) on the airplane as they don't have adjacent oxygen masks - only one per row.
    It could be enjoyable - ours always fall asleep as we try to book night flights.
    Lisa

14. Mia D

Mia D Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Feb 27 2009, 09:45 PM) [snapback]1208505[/snapback]
    DH and I have been planning a trip to the East Coast this summer to visit all of my relatives. We've just found out he has a trial scheduled for the middle of our planned trip and won't be able to come with us. So, I'm considering taking Cricket and Piper on their first plane trip by myself. They'll be 27 months old. We'd fly from Albuquerque to Atlanta, have a 1.5 hour layover, then fly from Atlanta to Rochester, NY. Both flights are about 2.5 hours long so the total travel time is about 7 hours, plus time to check in and get through security. I would check the car seats and have the girls strapped in with CARES harnesses, so no car seats to lug through the airport. I have a friend who could loan me her lightweight double stroller for use in the airport and while we're in NY.

So am I crazy to think about doing this on my own? Has anyone else flown alone with their twins at this age?

There are lots of us who have done this. I'm a single mom and I never wanted my girls to miss out on travel just because we have no dad to go with us. At that age I took my twins alone from Los Angeles to London. I've flown a lot with my girls alone and I've always said, I'd rather fly across the country with them alone than go to the grocery store alone. Even our most horrible flight has been worth it because the flight is temporary, and we get to enjoy the destination. But the honest truth is, most of the flights have been absolutely fine. If you plan ahead, give yourself plenty of time at the airport and keep your sense of humor, it's very doable - and it's always been worth it to me. And, I have to say, people are really wonderful. I always have more offers of help from passengers and crew than I can use. Go!!!

Best,
    Mia

15. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

I don't know that I would be brave enough to try it, but I think it should be completely doable. There are a lot of good tips here -- the extra outfits for everyone (I have been puked on multiple times on the plane), the new toys, the DVD player, the snacks. One thing I might add is bribes. The new toys can be bribes and I always bring lollipops and/or M&M in case I need them, too. These special new, sometimes gift-wrapped, toys or the candy come out when I need to bargain with them to put on their CARES harness and seatbelt for take-off or landing or to get them back into the stroller when we get off the plane. I tell them that they will get the special item AFTER we take off/land/etc., and it usually works. Another thing that keeps my kids occupied for a while on the plane is a cup of ice. You have no idea how much fun that can be for them.

Play areas in airports are also a god-send. I did a search and it looks like Atlanta has them. This link will give you info about where they are and where the family bathrooms are. http://www.atlanta-airport.com/hjn/2007/08/fam_fun.htm Family bathrooms are great because they allow you to go to the bathroom while your kids and all your stuff are in an enclosed space with you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!