flying alone with twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,
    I was wondering at what age did any of you flew alone with twins. I was considering
    flying with them when they would be 20 months old for a 3 hour flight.
    I would buy one sit and have the other one on my lap.
    can this be done?

2. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I just flew with my twins from California to Boston WITH my husband (they were 18-months last month) and I got off the flight there and back swearing I won't be flying with them again EVER! (which of course I don't mean and we'll be doing it again, just not anytime soon!) Of course I don't mean that...I found it to be extremely difficult at this age because they didn't want to be contained in their seats and no matter how prepared I was with snacks, toys, dvds---they didn't seem to care...we even bought a 3rd seat! I had my husband with me and can't imagine doing it alone. That said, I have a friend who flies with her 13-month olds (a bit younger) from California to Minnesota by herself all the time and manages just fine. She hires a lady for about $80 to meet her at the airport, check her backs for her, help get tickets, with babies etc...so she has an extra set of hands at the airport. When she has to use the restroom, she asked the stewards to watch her little ones. So it CAN be done and I have mad respect for parents who fly alone with their twins. Good luck!!! :woman:

3. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

I'm flying from baltimore to San Antonio on Thursday with my 1 year old twins. I got an extra seat, but I'm sure they will both end up in my lap! I'll let you know how it goes!

4. katzmeaow

katzmeaow Well-Known Member

We just returned from a 2.5 hour trip to Nashville, my LOs are 17 months, and it was a bit difficult at the end of the flight when we were close to landing. They were bored and did not want to stay confined. I was lucky to be flying with my mom, mil, husband and assistant. Because they are lap children and we did not purchase a seat/ticket for them, both babies could not be in the same row, so I would be in row 7 with my mom and my husband would be with his mom in row 8. I have to admit it was hard mainly because I was stressed about it, but the kids were amazing. It was a matter of keeping them entertained. During the first leg of the trip (one hour) they actually slept the whole way. I think the whole trip could be doable with little stress if you purchase a seat and have a carrier so one baby can sleep and you can hold the other in your lap. It is possible, just be prepared and if stress happens, just do your best to relax- they feed off your vibes! Also, the flight attendants were very nice and helpful. Good luck!

5. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I think you can do it alone. It will be exhausting and trying at times but well worth the time it saves in a car when you travel by air. If you are willing to let strangers help you out, you will make out much better. For instance, at security you may have to ask someone to hold one or both of the babies. On one of my flights I had the person sitting next to me help me out. Flight attendants will assist as well. I would suggest taking the bare minimum of things on the plane. It's much easier to keep track of and find what you need that way. Be prepared to deal with an upset child and try not to worry about it bothering others. I recommend harnesses for the waiting period before boarding. At the airport, make sure you get a cart for your luggage and, if possible, hire someone to take it to the check in counter for you. Hopefully you'll have someone waiting for you on the other end who can give you a break afterwards. Enjoy the trip.

6. someone

someone Well-Known Member

I have flown with my 17 month old twins but with my husband and it is HARD! maybe it depends on your twins but my twins are still going through the stranger anxiety and would freak out if a stranger held them for a second... i don't know how you would manage through security getting them both out of the stroller and and getting everything checked through, and manage them, the stroller, the carry ons, plus if you have an extra seat you may need to bring on your car seat.. so you'd be carrying that around the airport as well. If there is any way you can get someone to come with you to help on the plane, do it! With that said, again it depends on your kids.. you know them best! good luck..

7. AandI

AandI Active Member

I've flown quite a bit with our boys but never alone yet. However, I heard of someone else with twins (they were just over a year I believe) and her husband got some sort of a pass to help her onto the plane, or at least to the gate. Then someone was able to meet her at the other end also. That's the hardest part logistically I think, getting on and off and, of course, security. Once on the plane they are right there next to you, the whole time, ready for constant entertainment!

8. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's just a Canadian thing but here they won't let you fly solo with two infants under two even if you buy an extra seat. We flew to Portland when the twins were 14 months and will be flying to Phoenix next month when they are 19 months. I give kudos to those of you who fly solo, I know I couldn't do it!!