Flying Alone with 1 Yr Old Twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by TawneyOwl, Aug 20, 2009.

1. TawneyOwl

TawneyOwl New Member

I am planning on a trip to the west coast in September to visit my parents, as they have not seen my kids since April. Unfortunately my husband is not able to join me so will be flying alone with my 1 year old twins. One would be on my lap and the other in a carseat. The trip itself would be seperated into two flights with each being approximately two hours. I am not sure if we deplane between flights or would just have the opportunity to get up and stretch our legs.

Has anyone ever flown with twins around that age? Is it possible or am I crazy for even thinking about it? If you have, do you have any tips or suggestions that you could share with me?

TIA! :)

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I haven't had to fly alone with my two, just wanted to wish you lots of luck. :good: :hug:

3. snowmom

snowmom Well-Known Member

I moved from Ontario to BC last year, when the twins were 9 months old. My husband drove across country, and I flew with my older son(12 at the time) and the twins( 9 months), and 4 cats and 2 dogs. And our luggage cause we were moving. It was busy to be sure, and my older son was a great help, as were the staff on the plane,and random strangers. The major problem that you will need to double check is if they will let 2 infants sit in the same row!! We had to split the twins up, one in with me and one in the row behind with my older son. If you are paying for a seat for one child, then they should let you( I think). Are you flying West Jet or Air canada? West jet does not charge for infants in lap under 2yrs. Air Canada does. I strongly support the idea of giving babies tylenol before flying to make it easier on them. It can be very disconcerting for an infant. We flew with ours when they were 4 months, and again 9 months, across Canada. Both times, we gave them a little Tylenol to relax them, and made sure that we had an ample supply of soothers/ bottles/ breastfeeding for take off and landing. It helps them pop their ears. West Jet will let you take a double stroller and infant car seats right to the plane, and they will have them there for you when you disembark. Take advantage of the pre boarding call, and wait till everyone is off the plane before you get off. Pack some small, new toys/books for them, and any little snacks that they love. Be prepared that they may cry, and that's normal and ok. Most people will understand about how hard it is to fly with babies. My seat mate on the last flight I took with the twins cam walking down the aisle, saw me with a baby and turned to his buddy and asked to switch seats. I told him " I'm sorry, but your friend is sitting behind me and my other twin is in that row." As soon as he saw I was flying with 2 babies and a teen, he apologized, and sat down. People will look at you like that amazing woman you are for flying with twins. Have fun!!

4. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

In my local twins group chapter meeting they had an entire meeting dedicated to just this issue. As the prior post mentions there are a lot of rules you need to look into. Also a couple of tips I remember was arriving early so that you can get the "bulk" seat, the one without the row in front of it. If you can travel red-eye so that most of the trip is them sleeping, if you can buy another seat for the room, and buy toys they've never seen before, etc.
    You might want to search some blogs online to find further tips and tricks. GL!

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i haven't had to do it but i just wanted to say i feel your anxiety! we're driving out to the coast in october for a friend's wedding (about 12 hours sans babies). i wince already. :hug: GL!

6. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I live in Spain and no airline lets you travel alone with twins. Saying that, I´ve not heard of having one travel in a car seat. I wish you lots of luck and I have to say I dont envy you going alone. :hug: I travelled when mine were 7 months old and 10 days ago (they were 14.5 months) and I had my DH.

I took new toys for the flight which were a success, thanks to other mums who recommended that on here. Also, go prepared with nappies, wipes, extra clothes, water and snacks/food. I bought the VTech mobile phone toy for the trip and it was an instant hit! Whatever your kids like. Oh and I took some books too. GL and let us know how it goes.

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Snow mom lives in Canada and I do not, but otherwise I was told the same as Rach, 1 adult per infant. This is due to safety, the number of oxygen masks and what would happen in case of an emergency.