Flushing

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by gina_leigh, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Seriously, I can't even believe I'm posting and asking this. But I'm so aggravated- as is the rest of the family.

Reagan very rarely remembers to flush the toilet. :bad: It's gross. Even Jason gets frustrated with her. Several times a day you can hear one of yelling that she forgot again. They share the bathroom upstairs and the half downstairs. (They've been banned from our bathroom.) And poor Jason finds a used potty almost every time he goes in either.

They have auto flush toilets at school, so I know that contributes to the issue. She's also a bit of a space cadet. (Love her, but it's true.)

My question is what suggestions do y'all have for correcting the issue? I'm out of ideas. She's 6 and I think a bit old for this type of problem!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I sympathize. And my kids don't always wipe either. It's lovely.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Out of my two, my daughter is the one who forgets to flush-not that she does it all the time but if there is a child who will forget it's her.  I tell her, do you want to walk into a used toilet at home or at school?  She replies no and I said, well don't do the same to us at home and don't do it at school.  When me or my son have to walk into a used toilet, I make her come back upstairs and flush it.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 12 and still don't always flush.  We just keep on reminding...

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

If stickers work for other potty training, why not flushing?

Hang a sheet of stickers on the door knob and tell her when she flushes she can take one sticker....  would be a visual reminder to flush.  who knows it might work...  (would they be trust worthy to take just one?)

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I like some of the other ideas that have been mentioned but I'd probably just crack down on her- checking the toilet periodically (every hour or so) and calling her in to flush it herself. Maybe, knowing your kids love to be outside, keep her inside for x number of minutes if she forgets to flush. I'm guessing she doesn't want to be bothered with it and needs a reason to do it every time.

7. gina_leigh

I'm glad mine isn't the only one with this issue!

She is reward driven, so I think the stickers or a reward system would work. But not sure I trust them with monitoring it. I think I'll start by checking and rewarding (sticker) when I find that she's flushed.

Who knew we'd be back to potty rewards at 6?! And what I do find so frustrating is that for her it's totally a lack of paying attention/ can't be bothered right now thing.

Thanks!

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Would  a simple sticky note that says "Remember to flush" or something like that work?  Maybe she just forgets and needs a gentle reminder.  Maybe just in the bathroom they share upstairs since it is most likely the kids using it. 

9. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a sign both in front of the toilet where she would see it while sitting down and behind the toilet if they are expected to close the lid and maybe one above the sink if they are good at washing their hands afterwards.  Is she afraid of the sound of flushing?  I have one that flushes and runs because he doesn't like the sound.  He is noise sensitive though.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was thinking a clothespin sort of idea? You get three clothespins at the beginning of the day and every time someone has to remind her to flush, you take one away. At the end of the week, if she has more than 15 clothespins, she gets _______. (Stay up late, pick out dinner one night, stay out late, park, whatever works for a reward for her.)

11. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Assign one bathroom to each child during the day, put them both on the reward system and check regularly.  That way your son won't feel left out for doing the right thing and your daughter might be more motivated if her brother is getting rewards.

1 person likes this.
  12. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

OMG We are still having this problem at 9 & 7. They all deny it, but I strongly suspect it's Natalie. I admit to being to lazy to be the Potty Monitor. It's really annoying and gross to walk in to. I think having your two each use their own bathroom is a good idea. Let her be the one that walks in on the used toilet all the time and that might help.

13. gina_leigh

I love the idea of assigning them bathrooms. Especially since that in itself will be a reward for poor Jason. But Reagan seeing him getting praised for a neat bathroom (we also have issue with her replacing toilet paper) will hopefully encourage her to do the same. 

Thanks ya'll! My poor sleep deprived mind was going nuts! LOL 

14. Caroll

Caroll Active Member

My oldest daughter had a problem using toilet paper. She seemed to her "firm to the touch." I have been looking for an option for a long time that would suit her, but all the time she found some flaws in each brand. I currently use biodegradable toilet paper and this is the only toilet paper that, I quote my daughter, is "good enough". Maybe you should also try to find the problem with your child's toilet use and figure out how you can solve it together?