Fluid in ear..?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Katheros, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My daughter is 11 months old and she's had a ton of fluid in one ear over the last week.  She's not showing any signs of ear infection, no fever or pulling at her ears.  She will sometimes put a finger in there but when I check it, it's full of fluid and I clean it for her. It's clearish, yellowish fluid.  No blood or anything.  But it seems like a lot, I clean her ear usually twice a day.  I can see the liquid in there when she nurses. 

Her birthday is Feb 18th, so she'll have her one year check up then.  I'm wondering if I should try getting her seen by the family doc before then, or just hold off and mention it at her visit (while keeping an eye on it).   None of my older kids have had any ear issues so I'm kinda clueless honestly!  

2. rinaownsu

rinaownsu Active Member

I would have that checked ! Just in case. Sounds like an infection even though she does not have a fever. Maybe its an infection in the outer ear canal rather than the inside.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd get it checked.. it may be ruptured? Miles had a ruptured ear earlier this year and he wasn't in pain at all after it happened, but it kept leaking for a few days. It might require antibiotics if it's open.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I would definitely have it checked.  My kids have never, ever had a fever with an ear infection.

5. Katheros

Okay, I will definitely call in the morning.  Thank you! 

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Definitely get it checked. Often a sign of rupture (after which they can feel better). Needs to be monitored. Anna ruptured an ear drum that left a hole that had to be repaired surgically after it didn't heal for a year.

7. Katheros

I took her in this morning and the doc thinks it's just an outer ear infection and that her ear drum isn't ruptured.  Got some ear drops for her.  Thanks for the advice, ladies!   I really appreciate it.