Flu Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Tivanni, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We just got a form to vaccinate at the school cost being $23 per person...this is the first year we have that opportunity but I'm thinking of calling my pediatrician to see if they have a clinic again this year. Con was it was 45 min away...

Where do you get the flu vaccine...if you have your children vaccinated?

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do it at the dr. Sarah has mild asthma she appears to have outgrown, but I don't want to take chances.

Honestly, I do it at the dr. because they will file with insurance. Our insurance covers anything preventative (shots, check-ups, etc) at 100%. If I did it elsewhere, I'd have to pay and then file the insurance myself. It's easier to let the dr. do it.

Marissa

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

The cost for the walk-in flu shot clinic at our doctor was around $23 anyway, and if we make an office appointment to do it, we pay a $20 copay. So in your shoes, I'd definitely do it at school -- much more convenient. Even if the doctor's office were completely free, I don't know if saving $23 per kid would be be worth several hours of my time.

4. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

We do it at the doctor's office. It usually coincides with their yearly well check up.

Not sure if their school offers it or not.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Go for it. The flu is hard on anyone let alone littles who are exposed to everything

6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I say, whichever is easiest, cheapest and most convenient for you.

1 person likes this.
  7. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My boys' well-child checkup is always around the time they would get a flu shot so we have it done there/then. I'd opt for convenience.

8. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I usually do it at the local clinic but if the school is offering it then it would be just as easy to have them get theirs there.

9. Tivanni

Thanks everyone...last year I had to drive 45 minutes at night to the clinic but this year the pediatrician held one nearby...and it was the mist instead of the shot so we decided to try that! Appreciate all the comments. :)

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In the past our schools have only done the flu mist and I don't get that for my kids, so we always go to the ped's office or the health dept.

11. Tivanni

Amy is there a particular reason you don't get the flu mist? I know it's a concern if they have egg allergies but is there any other reason?

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest DD has asthma and her ped has said she really shouldn't get the flu mist. My twins get bronchitis very easily as well, so they probably have some sort of asthma as well, just not diagnosed yet (but it's the same as their big sister). Also, there is no way my oldest DD would let them do the flu mist, she would rather have the shot (weird, I know).

13. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

DH has asthma, so we all get shots. Last year they offered the girls the mist and said insurance covered it just the same (not true; it cost more than the shot, but I got them to cover it because I'd been told it was covered). Both got the flu, whereas they've *never* gotten it from the shot. The one who has mild sensory dislikes hated it, and even the girl who hates shots said she'd rather have a shot next time. So we will not be doing flumist this year.

14. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Also, the flumist is a live virus, which means if you know anyone with a compromised immune system, you can't go near them for 4-6 weeks. This includes people who are undergoing chemotherapy.

15. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who doesnt get the flu shot, I did last year, myself I was sick for almost 48 after, not bad just low fever and just felt not well, anyway I have heard and watch a document on this and what I seen scared me. Is there anyone who doesnt get it? Just Curious

16. Tivanni

I had forgotten about asthma. I did recall egg allergies is another reason not to have the mist. Definitely understand the compromised immune system.

17. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

I don't get it, and have nver had the flu, though it's made it's way through my house several times. I'm generally a pretty heathy girl. My oldest gets the shot, because she has asthma, but she still gets the flu EVERY year. She's usually just sick a day or two, though. Usually by the time we get a positive flu test, she's already on the mend. I don't get the flu shots for my other daughters, since they are healthy. One of the little ones got the swine flu last year, but was only REALLY sick for two days. Hoping we all got a little immunity from that, and can have a flu-free season this year!

18. lola5

lola5 Well-Known Member

I usually take my kids to their pediatrician for flu shots, but I totally get the hassle of a long drive for a clinic. Sometimes local pharmacies offer the vaccine at a similar price, so it’s worth checking out. We also used northshoreconnect to schedule appointments for vaccinations, and it made things easier. It’s good to have options, especially when time and convenience are important. Hopefully, you find something close by!