flu shot in first trimester?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jaam4eva, Oct 21, 2011.

1. jaam4eva

jaam4eva Well-Known Member

or ANY trimester? did you get the flu shot???

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, I got it with the girls & will be getting one next week with this pregnancy.

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I got one with the boys but did not get one with this last pregnancy.

4. jaam4eva

jaam4eva Well-Known Member

how many weeks were you at the time of the shot?

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't remember with the girls. I'll be 35 weeks this time.

6. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I was early. I was pregnant in Nov so it had to be a few weeks after that. I cant remember.

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I got a flu shot while pregnant, but my peri would not administer it until I was in my second trimester. As soon as I was there they had me get the shot. It was in November.

8. Tobaira

Tobaira Well-Known Member

I got mine at my last Ob visit at 22 wks.. I didn't really want to get it but after being knocked down so bad with pneumonia last fall I just wasn't willing to risk it.

9. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Yes. I was just into my 2nd trimester. I have gotten it every year for many years. But I definitely wanted it the year I was pregnant since the boys were at risk for being preterm. And they were preemies.

I made my husband who had never had the flu shot get it that fall as well. He did and he has gotten it every year since!

10. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

NO. I have never had one and never will. The insert in the flu vaccine says that it is not recommended for pregnant women unless there is a critical need for it. It has not been evaluated fr safety in pregnant women. What pregnant woman would volunteer to be a test subject.

2 people like this.
  11. keirin

keirin Well-Known Member

I got the flu shot for the first time when I was pregnant with my twins. I had it done in the 2nd trimester even though it was out of flu season, really... they say if you do it in the 2nd or 3rd trimester it will inoculate the baby(ies) as well.

12. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I absoluetly believe pregnant women and anyone caring for children should get a flu shot. I was 28 weeks when I got one this pregnancy.

13. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I might have I honestly dont remember but I will NEVER get another one and neither will my children.

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Ditto.. I was in my 2nd trimester when I had a regular OB visit and got my very first flu shot.

15. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My response exactly...no way I was going to be guinea pig let alone my babies. I never get them anyway, nor does anyone in my family.

1 person likes this.
  16. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I got the flu shot at 15 weeks this time (and about 36 weeks with my first pregnancy but he was due late-October so it wasn't even available or needed until just before he was born). There is a thimersol-free/preservative-free version of the shot you can request if you are worried about certain ingredients.

As for the shots not being tested on pregnant ladies, that goes without saying. Most medications and vaccines are never tested on pregnant women (because, previous posters are right, who would sign up for it?), but the flu shot has a history of being safe for use in pregnancy.

You have to decide for yourself what your comfort level is and if you are comfortable with getting the shot/not getting the shot.

17. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member