Flashcards

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

My DH had bought a set of basic flashcards and the girls love them. Well, they have gotten beaten and torn up, so we need some new ones. Before someone jumps all over me, we don't "drill" them, quiz them, anything like that. They just like looking at the pictures and telling us what it is. They love it, they go "cards! cards!". Anyway, I would like to get some that are more like boardbook material or a little more indstructible. Anyone know of anything like that?

2. EllenJamie

EllenJamie Well-Known Member

E and E LOVE the Touch and Feel Flashcards from One Step Ahead. We had the first words and colors cards for a while and they want to pull them out all the time. Last night online I ordered the new ones they just added.... Farm and Things That Go. We like them so much I bought packs for the children in the family for Christmas. Hope that helps.

3. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

We had picked some up at Walmart and Dollar Tree way back. They aren't really durable but at least when they get ruined they don't break the bank. You can also look at a teacher supply store. We have a store here called Educational Warehouse (I think) that sells them.

4. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I second the dollar tree recommendation, and they have all kinds of characters and stuff if you are into that. If there are some that your kids particularly like, you could buy some laminating sheets, that makes them a bit more fun.

I was just at a store called Lakeshore Learning (they have locations across the us I think) and they carry a brand called Brain Quest that looked super fun, I think they were $10 a pkg and there was just one kind for ages 2-3 and one for 4-5, and a few for older ages. The ones for younger kids looked to be pretty cool.

5. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

Baby Einstein makes about 5 sets of flashcards and my boys love them! We use them all the time - as we move through the cards, I talk about each picture, tell them what it is, describe the color, make the sounds, etc. Now they are at the point where I can lay them out and ask them to point to certain objects on the cards. They have a ball.

6. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I just saw these at a store downtown and wished I had someone to get them for :) mudpuppy flash cards

7. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Dec 9 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]526711[/snapback]
    I just saw these at a store downtown and wished I had someone to get them for :) mudpuppy flash cards

Ooh, those look nice. I like those and the One Step Ahead ones too. I think I'll get some of those, and maybe some dollar store ones for our upcoming trip.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My girls LOVE them too...I put them in a 'photo' pocket style album and they liek to put them in and take them out- as well as look at them.

Also LAMINATE them for cheap at Staples, Office Max etc....it is not expensive and will keep them from tearing, ripping, bending etc.

Dollar tree and walmart both have them. =]

9. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

kelly, for hannukah one of the gifts they got from my parents was a set of dominoes - really really cute set i forget who makes it but it's one of the educational toy companies and it won some award (the toy did) - anyway they are carboard thickness and really cute pictures and although my kids don't get the concept of playing a game, they like to match up the pictures and i tell them to find all the cards with the train on them and then find all the cards with the pig on it, etc. just another idea of something bea and ainsley might like if they like flashcards.

10. coconutdancing

coconutdancing Well-Known Member

My girls love flash cards/cards also. We have sevral the best ones we got at costco, they are seseme street and are really thick carbord so really resistant. I also have sevral from the doller store. We also use game cards and regular playing cards, they like idenifing the #'s and counting the hearts, spades, dimands and clovers.

Good luck

11. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Baby Einstein makes nice ones. They have different sets; animals, numbers, etc. They're wipeable and thick like board book pages and come in a little box. HTH :)

12. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I love this company: Super Duper Publications

And my girls and I love these cards. We have "What?" and "Why?" They come in pairs and you have to match cards -- like "Why do we take a bath?" and the answer is "Because we are dirty" which is another card. For younger kids you can just ask the question like "What do we do when we are dirty?" instead of the matching. Tons of fun. Better than just naming a picture as they get older, IYKWIM.

There are tons of cool educational products like this in this catalog. And the prices are good too.

ETA: And I just discovered these which are on a ring like the mudpuppy ones above. I must have them!!!

13. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine also really like the Brain Quest card games. They sell them at Sam's by age.