First school/friends birthday party

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by gina_leigh, Nov 11, 2012.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

So looking at the calendar and just realized that the weekend we'd have the kids' party is 3 weeks away. YIKES! Bad mommy moment because now I have to get on the ball and fast. I know the kids want a birthday party. But until now we've only done little family parties. They've loved them and had a blast. But they turn 5 in a few weeks (sad face) and now that they are in public pre-k, they have all their school friends.

I have a few issues. First being that I can be a little socially awkward and HATE being a hostess. I'm friendly and a chatterbox, but just suck at the hosting gig. Our house is on the smaller size, so not sure where I'd put all these little kids. If the weather is nice (often is around here at that time of year) then we can do it under the car port and the back yard. We have a small trampoline and playhouse the kids could play on and could set up a party table that we have.

Or we could just do Chuck E Cheese. Which is a bit expensive, loud, and whatever. I would need to send out invites ASAP, so I really need to make the decision today. (See, I forget about things like sending out party invites until it's too late! I suck at this!)

Please help me.

Also, was thinking of doing a book exchange instead of gifts. (I would feel guilty for people buying each a gift.) How would I word that on the invite?

Oh! And they are in the same class, so same friends.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, Chuck E. Cheese is totally worth it. I swore I would never do a CeC birthday party, but it was awesome, easy, quick, and I didn't spend any more on it than I would have on a birthday party at my house including food, decorations, cakes, goodie bags. Plus I got to have beer and wings and still be a hostess.

1 person likes this.
  3. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

CC- is great for a quick some-one-else run-it party, but be warned that certain times/days are busy/crazy.

One of my DD is sensitive to noise/chaos so we went to a CC party at 4 on a Sat. NIGHTMARE! Busy busy busy and it was crazy for our friends trying to round up 'their' party kids- the hostess was trying to run two staggered parties and it just did not work out well (in addition to abotu 4-5 other parties going on at the same time)

Went to another on a Sat at 9 am and it was quiet. We had the place to ourselves and the party we went to! Weekend days right after school would likely be fairly calm as well.

Other places in your area may be a craft place, McDonalds (our local ones have parties), bowling, swim, roller skating, Michaels Crafts, Bounce House (our local one does one party at a time since it is small!), etc.

3 weeks is plenty of time to send out invites- never fear!

Now until after JAn 1st is a pretty packed time for families and you may not get all your invites coming. I know our family has a lot of weekends filled already!

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We went to a Chuck-E-Cheese at 2pm on a Saturday and swore never again. There were like 5 different parties and it just sucked. It seemed rushed and not personal at all and it was totally packed.

We went to a Pump it Up party and it was much better, I recommend that instead if you can.

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We did a Chuck E Cheese party during the week when the boys were in AM Kindergarten. Everyone just drove over after the bus dropped off the kids, and it was great--no one was there! Doing it at that time also eliminated the problem of older siblings coming--they were all in school full time, so no one had to worry about what to do with them, and we had just enough time for those parents to get home to get the big ones off the bus :)

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

CEC is best at the 10am party of the after school 5pm party. Good Luck. I honestly don't think there is a wrong birthday party so they are going to love whatever you do. Also, your kids are old enough that you can do a drop off party. That way, no need to chat with other parents.

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

My SIL talked me into the Curious George party I'd thought about doing. So yesterday, I went on Esty, paid $5 for an invitation design. Printed them at Office Depot. And sent them to school with the kids today. 18 invites for the classmates. :faint:

Another 10 or so for family.

Thankfully, SIL is one of those that's really great at party planning and crafts. She's talking me through it. But I'm still thinking CEC might have been the way to go!!
    The kids are really excited, though. And that counts for a lot.

Wish me luck!!

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can do it!! Good luck! And I'm sure the kids will love it!