First Diaper rash :( What did you use/do?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicolepag, Nov 25, 2006.

1. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

My daughter is having her first diaper rash. What methods did you use/do to get rid of it?

2. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

My daughter is having her first diaper rash. What methods did you use/do to get rid of it?

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Warm wash cloth (no wipes), then a thick layer of desitin for us. If it get's really red, bleading or blistered you should have it looked at for a special ointment to put on it. Sometimes it can become more of a yeast infection in the diaper area.

4. firsttimer

firsttimer Well-Known Member

We are Balmex users but when the first case of diaper rash struck, we used Butt Paste. It worked great

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Butt Paste for a mild one;
    A prescription thing our ped gave us for when it's really bad (if the skin looks blistered);
    Lotrimin if it looks like a yeast infection (lots of small red spots, rather than an all-over redness).

Air-dry the butt at each change as much as possible (if you can keep the baby entertained).

When they have diaper rash, we also try to use only Kleenexes and Cetaphil lotion, rather than wipes. In fact we try to do this all the time, though I still use wipes for poop. We also use A&D at every change.

6. koozie

koozie Well-Known Member

Desitin works miracles for us!

7. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Desitin creamy- the old stuff worked great but was difficult to clean.

8. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I found the absolute best home-made wipe recipe -- it feels so good on sore butts and is cheap to make!!

Homemade Wipes

What You Need:

* Round plastic container (Rubbermaid #6 or #9 works well)
    * Thick, strong roll of white paper towels
    * Sharp knife to cut paper towel roll in half
    * 1 3/4 cups water
    * 1 Tablespoon baby shampoo or baby wash
    * 2 Tablespoons baby oil.

1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half with a knife and remove the inner cardboard core.
    2. Mix liquid ingredients in container.
    3. Place the paper towels in the container with the cut side facing downward.
    4. Secure lid tightly and allow to sit until all liquid is absorbed into the paper towels.
    5. Turn the container upside-down and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
    6. Open container and 'start' the roll by pulling a towel from the inside of the roll.
    7. Wipes are now ready to use.

Tips:

1. These also make a great gift for new parents. You can decorate or personalize the container and, of course, be sure to include a copy of the recipe.
    2. Save the other half of the roll for use next time you make wipes.
    3. Make sure the container is closed tightly after each use to prevent drying out.
    4. When your baby is older and his skin is less sensitive, you can add about a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol to the mix.

Obviously, don't add alchohol if the babies are prone to diaper rashes, it will just irritate their little heineys. I use Beaudreax's Butt Paste with good results if a diaper rash should happen.

9. Jello717

Jello717 Well-Known Member

Plain vaseline works the best for us and is the cheapest.