finger food ideas?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twotwins, Mar 18, 2010.

1. twotwins

twotwins Active Member

What do you offer your twins for finger foods as afternoon snacks?
    I usually offer them biscuits, cheerios, or little pieces of cheese and some times bananas (besides their fruits which I still give them completely mashed ) and I need some new ideas for finger foods which will be healthy and choking riskfree.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am not sure how old your twins are but I've offered mine (in addition to what you listed): kix, cut up veggies (i.e. carrots), cut up waffles, pancakes, cereal bars, Beech Nut Yogurt Nibbles, cut up toast, & scrambled eggs

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We also give Goldfish, crackers (small or broken up), quartered grapes, apple bits, halved blueberries, cut up bologna, English muffin "pizza" bits, yogurt, animal crackers, raisins, and probably some other things I can't think of right now. :) We also sometimes give them leftovers from lunch.

Hope this helps!

4. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

I think you have gotten some really good suggestions. You might also try steamed veggies (like string beans, peas, carrots); raw fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, bananas, avocados diced); fruits with the peels removed and steamed (peaches and plums); Protein such as diced or shredded chicken, beef, vegetable burgers and meatballs (homemade or frozen turkey, beef or chicken). I tried to at first give my lo's foods that they had liked pureed and then cut them up into really small pieces. If you want packaged items, my lo's enjoy cheerios, yogurt melts, puffs, teddy grahams, animal crackers, crackers (oyster and lo sodium).

5. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

We are boring - pretty much every day my kids get the same snack - goldfish and a juice box! They eat pretty healthy and well-balanced at their meals and are good eaters so I don't worry to much about healthy snacks. Plus, they LOVE goldfish!

6. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

In addition to what the others said: (again not knowing exactly how old they are 12-24 months is a BIG range) 100% gummy fruit snacks, mini nilla wafers, nutrigrain bars cut up, if I can think of more I will come back. Oh, I second Kix, my boys LOVE Kix.

7. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We also do a lot of what pp have mentioned. The big hits here are:

Nilla Wafters
    Animal crackers
    Graham crackers
    Kix --- love these!
    Cheerios - reg, multi-grain and sometimes the fruity ones
    Life cereal - this is the favorite right now!

HTH!

8. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

Charlotte's favourite snack is vanilla rice krispies! they are small and melt able so you cant choke:) you can try it in a bowl of milk or plain on the tray!

mini yougurts,
    puddings-
    mini nutrigrain bars for toddlers
    toddler mum mums in strawberry and regular
    applesauce cups
    banana mum mums

9. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

for non-messy finger foods, at different times I will give them: MUM MUM's (strawberry or veggie), cheerios, yogart nibbles, beech-nut banana cookies, Gerber Graduates Arrowroot Cookies, graham crackers, animal cookies. I hand feed them, yogart, pudding, and others, sometimes they will eat fruit for a snack, but I have one toddler who LOVES fruit, and the other one wants no part...LOL...Good Luck!

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Kix, goldfish, STRING CHEESE, bits of chicken, peas, other veggies, apples, pears, bananas. Nutrigrain bars.

11. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

Great suggestions! My girls also love rice cakes (low or no sodium varieties), peanut butter or sunflower butter on raisin toast, & "finger" sandwiches - use a variety of fillings like avocado, PB, sunflower butter, cream cheese or ricotta. (I'm an Aussie, so they also get vegemite :ibiggrin: ) I had a lot of trouble gtting one of my girls to eat pieces of fruit (she still isn't great at it), but I found that rolling the fruit pieces in crushed cheerio's really helped. A good snack when we are on the go are the "earth's best" yoghurt rice bars - one of them keeps my girls happy for close to an hour!