finding myself down lately

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dezmitch, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

My twins just turned 2 1/2 on Jan 28..they are getting so big. Don't seem like much of toddlers anymore, instead like little people. I'm really having a hard time with this...in fact on some days I find myself just looking back at pics and videos from just a few months ago when they were more baby'ish. Has anyone else gone through this? I'm sure it's natural -- but I need some others to make me feel better that things just get more awesome as they get older, etc. Of course it will -- I'm just down and emotional :-(

2. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Totally normal :hug:

I miss 2 1/2 :D ... and 3... and 3 1/2...

each stage has it's own sweet, fabulousness...and TBH things I think "I'll be glad when this stage is over..." Thanks for the reminder to not wish it away!! I think the best thing to do is to savor them as they are & live in the moment. And, take lots & lots of pictures & videos.

3. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I'm going through this too. We just found out there will be space for the boys this fall in preschool. I was horrified. We had to sign up over a year ago because of the wait list, and to actually think they are about to start their school journey? It felt like 3yrs old was a lifetime away, and now it's right around the corner! So all I can share is empathy, I know where you are at enjoy every silly, challenging moment! ((((Hugs!))))

4. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

I definitely feel the same way...and it is compounded by the fact that several people around me are pregnant and VERY excited to have another baby join their family :cry:

But, there are so many fun things ahead of us!! They are starting to say the funniest things and it cracks me up ^_^

(PS The rainy, gloomy weather out here is NOT helping our moods either!!)

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Add me to the list. My girls are going to be 4 in less than a month and I can't believe it. Ana actually said the other day that she wants a time machine to go back to being little. This was because she misses her old playset (little tykes small cube thing), but still, it made me laugh and weepy at the same time :cry: :laughing: They are starting pre-k next year in the elementary school!!! How can they be ready to be in big kids school yet?!

6. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I just grabbed a coffee with a friend and her two-month old baby. As I held him, I got the wistful feeling too, like, "Did I enjoy them when they were this little ENOUGH?!" It was such a crazy, whirlwind time in my life. But I agree about living in the moment and relishing them as much as possible (even when they are whiny, tantrum-y, and difficult :wine: )...and there are SO many good times ahead too!!!! :woo:

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yeah, I think it is perfectly normal to feel that way. I really had a difficult time when they turned 3 and they seem so much like little people now. I have a hard time looking back on their baby pictures and sometimes I wonder how the time passed so fast.

8. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I'm going through this as well. Mine will be 3 at the end of May. I just signed them up for gymnastics next month and preschool in the fall. I can't believe we are already at this point. I was just going through their baby pics the other night. Sometimes, it makes me want another baby. Not enough to actually go through with it, though:)

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I completely understand how you are feeling. When I think that L&L are already 4 1/2, I just want to cry! Mostly because I absolutely adore them at this age, getting so independent, but still so cuddly & sweet. *sigh* But, I can tell you from experience, that I do think they are great at every age. To see my older kids growing up, developing their own interests & turning into people that I not only enjoy but admire is also a fantastic experience. To be able to have conversations with them about so many things, listen to their ideas & dreams... it is all great. So, yes, you will miss them being little, but there are definitely fantastic times to come in the years ahead.

1 person likes this.
  10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i only have the girls but this is how i think i'll feel too! every day feels like it's full of excitement for the future, enjoyment (most of the time ;)) for the present, and sadness for what's already gone. :grouphug:

11. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Yep, it's hit me too. I have been looking at them realizing that they are growing up. They are talking more and doing some really cute things together. But they are not babies anymore. I am so afraid to look at the videos I have of them when they were babies because I don't want to be all weepy. I know I will be!

My neighbor just had her baby girl making her two kids big brothers. I met her for the first time the other day and wow was she tiny and so cute!!! It hit me the most then at how big my boys are getting. I almost felt like crying. I'm so happy for her. I still don't want another baby, but I do remember holding my boys when they were that small, and I kind of miss that.

12. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have been so emotional about all of this lately. All sunrise-sunset in my head. I am finding less and less that I want another baby, but I still want a time machine to relieve the fun of their younger years. Pictures make me so emotional, particularly as they lose their baby fat and look less like toddlers and more like kids.

Tina, I hope I feel like you do, I guess I will - but I'm still so aware of the passage time and how fleeting it all is...sorry i'm going to cry into my keyboard.