Finally asking for help -- girls' middle names!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sk8rjen, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sk8rjen

sk8rjen Well-Known Member

OK, it's getting too close for comfort here at 32 weeks with twin girls, so I was hoping maybe you guys could help us?! Our girls first names are Marina and Sophie (no significance whatsoever, we just like and agreed on those 2 names). My boys from a previous marriage are Gabriel Raine, Donovan Skye and Adrian Zane. My DH likes my boys' first names, but not their "hippy" middle names (haha)

We got married in Hawaii last year and I love the idea of one of them having a Hawaiian middle name, and we've considered other nature-ish type names (like popular "Lily" which I think sounds good after Marina). I'd rather their middle names be somewhat unique, but that's certainly not my criteria. I mostly would like suggestions of names you think sound good after those names so I can bounce ideas off DH -- I can't look at the baby names book anymore!!!

Also, if any of you like these, let me know (the Hawaiian ones all have nature-ish or sweet meanings, but I'd rather make a decision based on what sounds good!)...

First names: Marina and Sophie

Middle names I've considered (and DH hasn't yet vetoed!:)):

Emelia
    Ilana
    Ivy
    Jade
    Kiana
    Lily
    Luana
    Makana
    Meadow
    Sage
    Sakari
    Willow

Thanks in advance -- this is so much harder than we thought it would be!
    jen

2. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I have a bit of a question I notice apart from willow,sage and meadow all of the names have a "ee" or an "a" sound at the end the same as your lovely first names is that what you were hoping to go with like sophie lily or marina ilana or the other way around like sophie emelia and marina ivy? Im just interested what you were going for but I think both combinations work well, good luck and I hope you and hubby can make a choice soon!

3. sk8rjen

QUOTE(meegs @ Sep 10 2008, 04:04 PM) [snapback]973885[/snapback]
    I have a bit of a question I notice apart from willow,sage and meadow all of the names have a "ee" or an "a" sound at the end the same as your lovely first names is that what you were hoping to go with like sophie lily or marina ilana or the other way around like sophie emelia and marina ivy? Im just interested what you were going for but I think both combinations work well, good luck and I hope you and hubby can make a choice soon!

Interesting that I didn't even realize that :) OK, my opinion is that an "ee" sound at the end goes better with Marina and the "a" sounds with Sophie. There are a couple that I think sound good with both, but I guess I'm more curious about what other people think at this point -- and thanks again in advance! :)
    jen

4. TwinMama6

TwinMama6 Well-Known Member

I like Isla and Carys for mn's!!!

5. twingma

twingma Well-Known Member

Personally I like your choices for middle names. I do not think they are way out there.
    Couple of my favorite combos.
    This would be my first choice:
    Marina Kiana and Sophie Luana
    Others
    Marina Lily and Sophie Sage
    Marina Lily and Sophie Jade

6. Irishlisa

Irishlisa Well-Known Member

Marina Ivy and Sophie Jade

7. twinmommy2B2008

twinmommy2B2008 Well-Known Member

I work with a girl that was born and raised in Hawaii. Her name is not that unique, but she has a sister named (BTW-I have no idea how to spell this, I will just put it out there the way it sounds) My-a-lay.

I think that when I asked her what it was or what is meant, that is was some sort of a Hawaiian flower? Let me know if you are interested and I can call my co-worked and ask her more about the name.

Good luck on the names you have chosen! I love the first names! I have always liked the name Marina and was considering using it if we were going to be having a girl. Of the names you have listed, I like Sophie Ilana and Marina Lily.

8. sk8rjen

twinmommytobe -- I *would* be interested to see how it's speeled -- it sounds pretty!

Thank you all for your input on these names -- we have not yet reached a decision, but we are certainly throwing a lot of ideas around. I really think Marina will end up having "Lily" as her middle name (dh likes this one best), so mostly we've been discussing Sophie's MN. It's so nice to see what other people think!

jen

9. twinmommy2B2008

twinmommy2B2008 Well-Known Member

Okay, I talk to her this morning and found out another Hawaiian name in addition to the one I mentioed.

As far as My-a-lay- they spell it Maile. She said you should be able to google it because it is a plant that grows in Hawaii that is picked on May 1st to celebrate the ancient kings and queens.

The other name I got from her was spelled Kalai and pronounced ka-lie (the 'a' is soft). I thought that was prett as well, so I wanted to mention both of them to you.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

10. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I really like your names! :)

My favorite Hawaiian name is Malia (pronounced just like "Maria," but with an "l.") I think Sophie Malia sounds really pretty.

And with Marina, I like Lily or Willow.

11. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

I like Marina Lily and Sophie Kekona (means second born) pronounced "Kuh-cone-ah"
    I thought that was cool for twins.

12. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(EMc2 @ Sep 30 2008, 01:47 PM) [snapback]1004582[/snapback]
    I like Marina Lily and Sophie Kekona (means second born) pronounced "Kuh-cone-ah"
    I thought that was cool for twins.

whoops, Kekona means second born. that's kinda an important detail!

13. sk8rjen

Thanks for the continued responses -- I really like the recent Hawaiian name suggestions too :) "kekona" should work for Sophie b/c she's my baby b, but it would only be second-born in terms of the twins (i have 3 boys :)) Hmmmm... I wonder if DH will like it.

Marina Lily is definite now, btw -- thanks for all of your replies!!

jen

14. keejaylove

keejaylove Well-Known Member

i like Sophie Ilana and Marina Maile... very cool names... it's just a matter of convincing daddy... heehee