Figuring out the First Year

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by DATJMom, Mar 19, 2009.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Figuring out the First Year is a weekly thread geared toward the first year parents but anyone can respond to help offer advice. This week is bedtime routines and logistics.

At what age did you establish a bedtime routine?

What is/was your routine for bedtime?

For current FY moms, how old are you babies and what time do you start your routine?

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself?

As always thanks for your responses. They are very helpful.

2. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 20 2009, 12:21 AM) [snapback]1235850[/snapback]
    At what age did you establish a bedtime routine?
    I had mine on a 3-hour routine, day & night, when we came back from the hosptial when they were 3 days old. It took a couple of weeks to settle in, but they adapted really well. By 4 weeks of age, they had moved themselves to a 4-hour routine and it stayed that way until they started solids and dropping bottles.

What is/was your routine for bedtime?
    Bath, bottle and bed, every night at 8pm. We have a wind-down session before bath time when I read to them or they play quietly together. No rough and tumble as DS gets over-excited and canĀ“t get to sleep so easily. I intend to read to them once they are in bed when they are older.

For current FY moms, how old are your babies and what time do you start your routine?
    Mine are almost 10 months old. Our routine starts with the first bottle at breakfast.

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself?
    I have a lady who comes Mon-Fri in the afternoons and two mornings a week. (I work afternoons).

3. jmantia84

jmantia84 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 19 2009, 05:21 PM) [snapback]1235850[/snapback]
    Figuring out the First Year is a weekly thread geared toward the first year parents but anyone can respond to help offer advice. This week is bedtime routines and logistics.

At what age did you establish a bedtime routine? I think I started pretty early on a bedtime routine, since my fiancee and I work opposite schedules and we needed some stability for them...so we started our bedtime routine at 5 weeks.

What is/was your routine for bedtime? Bottle with a little rocking and singing, usually Natalie first, then Brandon.

For current FY moms, how old are you babies and what time do you start your routine? They are 8 weeks old today...and we start at around 9:30 or 10 since my fiancee leaves for work around then.

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself? I did it by myself, I was pretty proud :D

Jessie

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 19 2009, 05:21 PM) [snapback]1235850[/snapback]
    At what age did you establish a bedtime routine? From birth. I would swaddle/or wrap, nurse & then put to bed.

What is/was your routine for bedtime? It did change with age, but basically wrap, nurse & then put down. Sometimes there is a bath before the wrap. Evan was always put down awake. If he fell asleep while nursing, he was definitely burped on the way to bed which woke him up.

For current FY moms, how old are you babies and what time do you start your routine? My baby is 11 months now and his bedtime starts at 7:30pm

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself? Most of the time I didn't need any help. (not with my twins either at bedtime) although it was available. Sometimes help interferes, especially now that Evan is soooo distractable.

5. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

This thread is a great idea! Thanks! :) I look forward to reading more responses.

6. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 19 2009, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1235850[/snapback]

At what age did you establish a bedtime routine? From birth we would swaddle the girls for naps and bedtime. Around 4 months they started going to bed at 7pm quite consistenly so got into a bedtime routine around that time.

What is/was your routine for bedtime? We bath every other night so that is first. Then we lotion them up, pyjamas, sleep sac (was a swaddle for 6 months), bottle and bed. We put them down awake and give them a lovey and turn on their fisherprice aquariums and they babble or fall right asleep.

For current FY moms, how old are you babies and what time do you start your routine? My girls are 8 months old and if it's bath night, bath is usually at 6:20, if it's not bath night we start the pj etc routine at 6:40

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself? Most nights my husband is home to help, but I can do it on my own and have been more and more recently as my husband is working out of town four days/week.

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 19 2009, 01:21 PM) [snapback]1235850[/snapback]

We didnt have an ACTUAL bedtime and routine until they were 9 months. Before that we did whatever worked to include white noise, swaddling, cosleeping etc.

At what age did you establish a bedtime routine? 9 months

What is/was your routine for bedtime? Have dinner, strip their clothes and go take a bath. get out play a little bit, get a drink, read a book, snuggle and lights out!

For current FY moms, how old are you babies and what time do you start your routine? Im not in the FY anymore but dinner was at 530. Everything else followed.

Do/did you have help or do you do it by yourself? My husband was home to help about 4 nights out of the week.