Figuring out how to formula feed

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by emp59, Feb 26, 2010.

1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls dropped to one nursing session today. Here is what I did today:
    7am: nurse
    8am: fruit and cereal
    9am: 4oz in sippy
    11am: 6oz bottle
    1230: veggie and fruit
    3pm: 6oz bottle
    530: veggie and cereal
    7pm: 6 oz bottle.

I'm not sure if I should be giving them a feed in a sippy at all. I am just worried about weaning them off the bottle and am wondering if it would be easier if I just start now. What I want to do in the next week when I drop the morning nurse is doing a 6oz bottle at 7am and then the 11am bottle I will do in a sippy. Just looking for ideas. I feel like I am treading in foreign water!

TIA ladies!

2. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think it matters between sippy cups and bottles but if you are able to wean them early and get the bottle out than great! but then it becomes the challenge to get rid of the sippy cup :(
    I know that my first son it was really easy to get rid of the bottle but a pain to get rid of the sippy cup and once we did he ate better because he wasn't filling up all the time because he used his sippy as a comfort thing.
    Now with the twins they are still getting bottles because one doesn't have good oral motor skills and can't drink well from a cup so SP told me not to try and switch yet. We are trying to build his muscles up and he seems to do okay with a straw so we are working on that. I didn't realize until the twins saw SP that they don't like sippy cups either they would rather kids went straight to regular cups. I think that is easier said than done because I can't imagine the mess I would have if my one year old twins would drink from a regular cup all the time :headbang:
    Sorry for being so long winded but I guess my point is it is up to you! if you are going to go to sippy cups and if they use them good now then I don't see a problem with it.
    Best of luck

3. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

The goal is to get an adequate amount of formula into them. Whether it comes out of a sippy cup or bottle really doesn't matter. We did bottles at the same times you mentioned (7, 11, 3 and 7) and then at 10.5 mos switched over to all sippies. Bottles/cups were limited to meal time only and the transition from bottle to sippy then to open cups was never an issue. The only adjustment period we had was a day or two when dropping the bedtime bottle.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I dont think it matters either. We did bottles and then went to sippies at 12 months without issue. I think it is just personal preference and whatever the babies will take too. Bottles are also easier to measure formula intake if there is any concern over how much they are taking in.

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the main reasons peds push for getting rid of the bottle is because of babies that take the bottle to bed with them. So long as yours aren't doing that sippy or bottle really doesn't make a difference. My kids never figured out the sippy until around 12 months or so...