feeling kind of bad

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ~ilyse~, Oct 10, 2007.

1. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

I am so blah lately. I am exhausted and my carpal tunnel really hurts. Is it ok that I am not all happy happy joy joy with the babies every 5 minutes. Right now they are right by me in the pack n play and jumperoo for the next 20 minutes (and have been for about 20 minutes or so) or so and Baby Einstein is on the tv. I switch them every now and then so they don't get bored. There is also an exersaucer in the mix. They seem to be enjoying themselves but normally I am right there with them. I am just not up for it lately. I feel like a bad mom.

2. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Of course it's okay! DS2 is just over a year old...I'm not happy happy joy joy with him OR the twins all the time. You just can't be. YOU need down time, and they certainly aren't neglected if they're in their PNP or jumperoo for a little while. I think it's important for them to know that mommy isn't always going to be their playmate, too. We can't spend 24 hours a day on the floor playing peek-a-boo...it just ain't happening!

Don't even worry about it! They're fine. :)

3. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I hope you aren't a "bad mom"; if so, I'm a bad mom too. I love "face time" with all my DC, but sometimes I need me time and they need to learn to entertain themselves.

It sounds like you're a great mom, if for no other reason than you are concerned about this! You're doing great, sometimes you have to refuel with some "grown-up" time!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Change it up, and take them outside on a blanket! I am assuming it is somewhat cooler and less miserable than it is in FL right now!

5. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I think I would be worried about you if you WERE happy happy joy joy ALL the time...that is just not normal. When I feel like wallowing, I wallow...but then I make sure to snap myself out of it. I am expecting many a more funk throughout my future as a parent...the rest of my life will be funk riddled!!!!!

Going outside is an excellent idea - I also like to eat a little chocolate :)!

Amy

*Becky, I am in Florida as well (Jacksonville) and I cannot wait until we can actually take the babies on walks after 8am and before 6pm!

6. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

You're not a bad mom, you're a human being doing an inhumanly big job! As pp's said, it is GOOD for them to learn to entertain themselves, or you're going to end up with some seriously whiny and needy toddlers! They are having all kinds of developmental moments in their exersaucers, so don't worry.

Just make sure you are not experiencing PPD - is there someone you can talk to for a gut-check on that? Your ob, someone else? I am not presuming that you are, just that it can sneak up on you, even months after they are born.

7. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support ladies! I would have taken them outside yesterday except it was a rainy day here in NY. Maybe today. :)