Feel like a hypochondriac, but how much waiting is too much?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TamSam, Nov 17, 2007.

1. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

I've been on bedrest for 5 weeks now. Largely, things have been stabilized.

I was in and out of the hospital 3 times, and I really hate triage and L&D right now. The problem is, I've gotten so many mixed signals. The nurses pretty much made me feel stupid last time, saying it was just BH, even though I spend almost the entire night there, had an IV, and had come on Dr's orders since I was having more than 4 steady contractions in an hour.

Recently, my doctor said to use the same benchmark. I asked if they had to be regular or painful, and he replied that it was simply enough that they were more than 4 in an hour. The last few days, I've been terribly tired and achy and sore. Today, I've felt super tired, just wrecked. My stomache has also felt hard on and off all day and I've had a little pain.

The question is, when do I go to the hospital? I don't want to overreact if it's nothing - I'm having to pay something out of pocket every time this happens, and it's getting expensive. Then again, I don't want to wait too long and get in trouble. Does anyone have any advice?

2. lhodnett73

lhodnett73 Well-Known Member

I understand the feeling of not wanting to over react, BUT.....If you are uncomfortable call the doctor or go to the hospital. It is hard to know what is going on and you don't want to regret not at least calling. Who cares what the nurses say.. It is there job to make sure things are ok, and you are following doctors orders. The babies come first. If you are that uncomfortable maybe your body is trying to tell you something. I would call my doctor or go to the hospital depending on what I was feeling.
    Keep us updated!
    Lisa

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I think its better to be safe than sorry. I felt the same way when I went into l&d, and now I dont know what I would have done if I had not gone. You dont want to regret it later because you are worried about what the nurses think. Worry about you and your babies, and if you even get an inkling that you need to go it, GO!! Good luck, I hope everything is alright.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I agree with the better safe than sorry attitude! If you are feeling off, go in and be monitored. There is something to be said for momma's peace of mind! Any type of contraction can work to change your cervix, so I think that might be why your doc is holding to the 4 contractions no matter how painful. :hug99:

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Definitely better safe than sorry. My Peri was a big proponent of this one. There are plenty of things they can do to stop labor if you get there early enough but it is hard to stop once you get past a certain point.

6. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the support. I'll push the water and watch it just a little while longer. I'll call if I don't feel better.

I'll keep everyone updated!

7. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

Definitely get checked out if you are ever concerned! I feel this way too sometimes. Especially because being a nurse, I work with and know a lot of the L&D nurses, I always think, they are going to think I'm crazy if I go in again. But, they don't! Every one of them would do the same thing, especially after some of the things they have seen. A lot of them actually told me they knew we would all get very close before the end of pregnancy. . . going in a lot is just a part of a twin pregnancy and they all know that and expect it too. I look at it like any apprehension I feel over going in is nothing compared to the guilt I might feel later if I should have and didn't and something went wrong. Not that it matters in the least bit what the nurses opinions of us is. .. but I just wanted to throw in that if you do go in and it was a false alarm - - that means you were a very easy in and out patient and I don't think many nurses ever have a problem with that :)

8. TamSam

TamSam Well-Known Member

tUpdate!

Sunday I continued to have some contractions, but I was hoping to wait for Monday when the doctor's office. My abdomen felt hard just about all night Sunday night, and I started having them more regularly and with pain this morning around 6 am.

I waited until the doctor's office opened at 8 am. They told me to drink a lot of water and lie on my left side and call in an hour if that didn't help. It didn't, and when I called back they told me to go to L&D. Grrr, I hated the idea of going back to the hospital, but I knew it was the right thing to do.

I went in at 11am and just got released at 3pm. They gave me an IV and terbutalene to stop the contractions. It did make me jittery but stopped the contractions quickly. The FF test was also negative. My doctor was happy with the results and sent me home with orders to continue on Procardia and add Terbutalene.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the support. The nurses and my doctor were happy that I recognized I was having trouble and that I came in. Even if it had turned out to be nothing, I really appreciate the advice that feeling silly for coming in unnecessarily is much worse than the idea of the regret of not listening in time.

Here's to at least another 2-4 weeks, I hope! Thanks again, everyone!

9. lhodnett73

lhodnett73 Well-Known Member

I'm happy it all worked it. Take it easy for a few weeks, this is your last few weeks of "calm" before the babies!!