Feed during night wakings?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ceb023, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ceb023

ceb023 Well-Known Member

We moved the boys into their cribs at night last week and they do NOT seem to be adjusting well! They used to sleep in their bouncers and were doing great... last bottle was at 9pm, asleep by 10pm, wake up between 5-6am for another bottle. Now that they're in their cribs they're waking 3-4 times a night and I'm not sure if I should be feeding them or trying to get them to hold off. If it hasn't been 4 hrs since their last bottle I give them a paci and they usually go back to sleep. But if it's been 4 hrs then I go ahead and give them a bottle because I hate the thought of them waking up hungry and not getting fed. But how do I know if they're waking up hungry, or for some other reason? It seems like we're going backwards because they were getting 7 hr stretches of sleep at night without eating and now they're constantly waking so I feed. Should I keep feeding or try to hold off?

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Sometimes they wake out of habit, but at 2 months old, I would feed them. They also may be hitting a growth spurt in which they need those extra feedings. How much are you feeding at a time. I learned that if I gave the girls half a bottle or less than their normal bottle, they would keep waking up. Go ahead and give them what they are used to eating during the day.

GL!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

I would feed them at that age. Could be a growth spurt? Sorry things are going backwards!!

4. brooke78

brooke78 Well-Known Member

Aw, sorry things are going backwards.

It makes me think back to when my little ones were littler. We had no real schedule. Amy liked to eat evry 2-2 1/2 hours Matthew- every 3 hours. It was crazy. But I didn't have them go 7 hours and then go backwards. That has got to be tough.

Hopefully this tooo will pass and you will get back to longer stretches of sleep.

5. ksugal

ksugal Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it is going backwards but have faith that it will get better...I promise. Mine seemed to go through a growth spurt about then, too and went backwards and almost put me to tears b/c I was so excited to be getting more sleep. We did feed them if they woke up. But, all of a sudden, they started sleeping through the night again. Hang in there, you're doing a good job!

6. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I would feed them...don't worry, you are not teaching them any bad habits - they need the food at that age. Good luck and I hope you get some sleep soon...

7. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better one of my boys seems to be regressing too. We were in SUCH a good grove. They boys were sleeping from 7 until 6 or 7 for weeks. It was a dream. There would be the odd pacifier replacement or cheek stroke, but for the most part we were all getting some rest. But these last few days James has been HYSTERICAL at bedtime. He's tired, he's had the usual routine, he has a full tummy, but he just SCREAMS as soon as he gets into the bedroom - before he even gets into bed. And he's waking 4, 5 times a night, wanting to play.

Anyway, enough about me. If I were you I'd feed your little ones as required, but your 4-hour guideline is a good one. Have you tried a dream feed as you go to bed? It doesn't always work for me but a friend of mine with twins did one every night and had her guy sleeping through pretty early.

Good luck!

8. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. We are transitioning to cribs to and it is scary - you hate to mess with a good thing. I say if they were sleeping 7 hours before they will do it again, it is just a lot of change for everyone right now. Maybe tell yourself it is going to be 2 good weeks of H*** during the transition and then it will be better. Odds are it won't be two weeks of difficult nights and you will all be sleeping again soon! Oh yea, I would offer a bottle as well.

Wish I had more to offer but we are going through the same thing. My little guy was sleeping 9pm-5am and then 5:30 -8am and now I can't get him back down after his 5am wake up.
    PM me or keep us posted - I would love to know how it works out and what ends up working the best for you.
    Good luck!
    Amy