FDA finds Nestle Good Start Infant Formula lacks required nutritional value

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Apr 14, 2011.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

This was back in 2007. I just came across it. thought some of you might be interested..I hope this was already improved by the company.

My link

2. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Both NICU doctors and all our nurses said NO WAY to goodstart. I know alot of people use it so I keep my opinion to myself but that is why we have never used it.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Did you ask why? We have been on good start since 7.5 months. My babies are still on protectplus 2 for toddlers until 15 months due to weight gain issue. I mentioned to our pedi that we're on good start. She didnt care though. I know many mommas here feed/fed their babies good start and they're all healthy. And my kids love good start. We tried similac, enfamil. they puked... they are growing healthy but skinny (90% of height but 10-25% of weight) And now at 12 months, they still drink like 28-30 oz/day. And btw, they only had 1-2 formula bottles and 3 ebm bottles/ day. We weaned a month ago so they have only good start now

I need to do more research on this..

4. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

They all just said it wasn't as nutritional as the others out there that yes they all had to conform to the same FDA guidelines but Similac and Enfamil had gone extra steps and used higher quality ingrediance. I hope I am not offending anyone, we used Kroger brand with our oldest but with the twins being so early and small I was not going to stray one bit from what the Neonatologists said.

5. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Just to share our experience as well:

Our NICU baby was on goodstart when she was in NICU, and the NICU Dr are outreach Dr from high ranking teaching children hospital too. So we trust their recommendation and practice and continue using goodstart after we went home.

6. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

That's interesting considering that Goodstart is our WIC formula....

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

We tried Similac, Enfamil, Costco Brand and then Good Start and for my babies Good Start is the best. In the beginning they were breastfed also but I noticeed that Similac and Enfamil and Costco brand were all making them constipated - once Max went 5 days without a BM. They were also spitting up a lot with these other brands. We gave a fair chance to each formula - at least 2-3 weeks, even 4 weeks for Enfamil I think. Since we switched to Good Start they stopped having all these issues. It may be that they also outgrew whatever made them spit up also, but that is our experience. Also, I tasted all the formulas and in my opinion the Good Start one tastes like real milk the most, the others all seem to have a metalic taste. I want to mention that my babies were born 6#5 oz each at 37 weeks 5 days, no NICU and they are growing very well, both are in 90th % weight and height, very healthy, active, happy babies.

8. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

We switched from Enfacare to Good Start about a month ago and we really like it too. It may be age-related, but they spit up less and are less gassy since the switch.