Favorite Recipes and meal ideas

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babyhopes09, Jun 14, 2011.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

My LO's have been eating table food for a long time, but I feel like we get into a rut a lot of times with meals/ideas... So I thought maybe we could start a thread where we post our LO's fav meal ideas and recipes.. I'll go first... I can't remember where this recipe came from, but it is healthy and has an easy list of ingredients. My girls LOVE these!

Oat and Wheat Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cup oats
    2 cups skim milk
    1 egg
    3/4 cup wholewheat flour
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons veg. oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS: Mix oats and 1 cup of milk; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed. For each pancake pour 1/4 cup batter on hot well-greased griddle.

Makes 12 pancakes.

Other things we really like: french toast, whole wheat pasta with sauce and veggies, mini-pizzas (I use those sandwich rounds or a whole wheat piece of bread and just hide some veggies under cheese and sauce and bake for 7 minutes on 375), oatmeal with applesauce, scrambled eggs with cheese

Does anyone have a good recipe for healthy meatballs and/or veggie/bean patties?

2. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

Great thread. I'm desperately in need of more ideas too so I hope others will share some recipes, especially for finger foods.

Yesterday I tried homemade mac n' cheese with my boys and they liked it. I used this recipe from allrecipes. It's super easy as you don't have to pre-cook the macaroni... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ginnys-Cheezy-Macaroni/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons margarine
    2 1/2 cups macaroni
    1 teaspoon salt (I omit as I use salted butter)
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded
    4 cups milk

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Place margarine in 9x13 inch baking dish and put in oven to melt. When margarine is completely melted, pour in macaroni, salt and pepper. Stir until macaroni is coated with butter. Sprinkle cheese over macaroni and then pour milk over all. Do not stir and do not cover dish.
    Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes. Do not stir while baking.

I also take it out at the 40 minute mark and add breadcrumbs or crushed up cornflakes for a crispy top!

3. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I'm making this right now and my house has never smelt so delicious :) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Texas-Pulled-Pork/Detail.aspx

For super kid friendly recipes I use weelicious.com. http://weelicious.com/2011/04/18/carrot-apple-coconut-muffins/ These muffins are so delicious (the girls think so anyway) and they have such wonderful ingredients! My husband ate one and said, "What happened to these muffins? I think they need more sugar." I just made him banana muffins the day before :)

4. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I just made a sweet potato scramble yesterday. I measured nothing so it's up to you.

Sauté sweet potato hashbrowns or fries in a little olive oil. Add chopped mushrooms, spinach and onions. Right before everything is cooked through, crack an egg on top and scramble. I added cheese since my girls love it, but that's optional.

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I also use Weelicious a LOT and the pumpkin waffles are my favorite right now. I make a big batch on the weekend and then re-heat them in the toaster oven through the week for breakfast. I also alternate the fruit...instead of pumpkin puree I'll use apple sauce or mashed bananas or pureed strawberries, you get the idea, just to mix it up a little each week.