Fall/Winter school clothes

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by debid, Oct 29, 2010.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I live in an area where the public schools have dress codes and it's been a number of years since these were implemented. The stores STILL do not have long-sleeved polos in stock. It's the end of OCTOBER and it was 38 degrees when I took the kids to school this morning. I finally asked at Wal-Mart because there was someone out stocking where the boys' uniform shirts are because I could find the short sleeves but no long sleeves. She said that the girl's stuff just came in but they have nothing for boys yet. And they are not alone in this. When we had our "tax-free holiday" for school supplies, nobody had anything but summer wear! I can still buy lots of shorts and tees even though there aren't going to be any more 90-degree days... they have Christmas ornaments in stock and just put out winter jackets. So what gives? I have managed to find a usable shirt here and there in spite of the lack of selection so my boys did not have to freeze today but it's aggravating that the buyers seem completely oblivious to the needs of the consumer.

2. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Have you tried checking on-line ? I know it may be more of a pain .. especially with shipping costs .. but it might be your only solution. Having worked in retail many, many years .. I've seen people get SO frustrated with selection. Myself included. Like when it's 30 degree's in Feb. and NO stores have hats and mittens .. but they have a great selection of shorts and spring clothes !
    My best friend run's the boys dept in our Walmart and is constantly cursing the buyers for sending too much of the wrong stuff and never enough of the right stuff !

3. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Mine are also at a uniform public school and I have the same problem with winter wear. I've picked up a few things along the way, but nothing weather appropriate in the stores. Finding girl's tops in solid navy has also been a challenge so I ended up ordering a bunch when we had our first cold front from Lands End. They have great sales + free shipping. My son is wearing a hodge podge of things. Seems like most of the stores have a great online selection of uniform clothes, but limited in the store.

4. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I would also suggest looking on line for now. I just checked out the wal mart site and they have them online to buy and you can have them send the shirts to the store so then you're not paying for shipping either. The only problem is that it will take a week or more before you can get anything you order on line unless you pay for the express shipping.

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's odd. Our WalMart has boys long-sleeve polo shirts on mark-down because they've been in the store for at least 2 months. I don't know if any are the approved colors. We don't have uniforms so I got Timothy the camo print.

I just checked and Childrensplace.com and Landsend.com both have uniform sections and have long sleeve polos.

I do understand about stores seeming to be oblivious to the weather. My gripe is always the short-sleeved xmas dresses for girls. The boys get nice sweaters and the girls get short-sleeves and sleeveless. Last xmas we had a foot of snow. Sleeveless doesn't work.

Marissa

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I'm going to order some online but that is always my second choice for clothes because fit is so erratic. And the Wal-Mart uniform shirts are showing ship to home as the only option ($5 for shipping that I won't get back if they don't fit!)

7. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

I also noticed that Walmart has been VERY slow to stock boys' fall and winter clothes. I have resorted to online shopping for them but I hate paying for shipping. Good luck!

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I would go online... oldnavy, crazy8, gymboree, lands end, gap, ll bean, etc. all have long sleeve uniform polos.

9. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

You could have the boys try Lands End shirts on at Sears, even if they only have the short sleeved you will know what size to order for long.

:gah:Same here!! I really don't understand this!

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Children's Place also...

11. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

How about a plain white long sleeve t underneath. When my girls had to wear uniforms, they were allowed to were long sleeves under their polos.

12. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

I usually get them from Oldnavy.com when I have a coupon. I don't remember ever seeing them in the stores.