fake crying

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by p31heather, Nov 22, 2006.

1. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

any creative solutions on how to eliminate fake crying???

Rachel will start in this fake crying (no tears just the WAH WAH WAH) whenever she doesn't get what she wants, or if she has an owie, or whatever. it's a dramatic way to get some sympathy and attention. I don't want to continue down this path.

How have you dealt with it?

(I know it's fake because I will sometimes mimic her and she will laugh... like she knows that I know that she's being fake.)

2. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

any creative solutions on how to eliminate fake crying???

Rachel will start in this fake crying (no tears just the WAH WAH WAH) whenever she doesn't get what she wants, or if she has an owie, or whatever. it's a dramatic way to get some sympathy and attention. I don't want to continue down this path.

How have you dealt with it?

(I know it's fake because I will sometimes mimic her and she will laugh... like she knows that I know that she's being fake.)

3. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

Just keep trying to make her laugh when she does it. Jamie used to get her lip going in this crazy quivery pout that was totally fake, so I would mock comfort her "oh my poor Jamie, my poooor baby", tickle her and try to make her laugh. The one thing that always worked was when I said "Do NOT smile Jamie...don't smile...no laughing" that would crack her up and, of course, the fake pout would disappear and be forgotten. Making too big a deal of it (getting angry or sending her for a time out) is negative attention, but it's attention. Making light of it should nip it in the bud.

[​IMG]

4. Jooles73

Jooles73 Well-Known Member

if you find out let me know, my girls do it constantly, got worse as they get older! my girls will be four in jan!

5. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

I G N O R E it. It's hard to do, because the fake crying grates on your nerves. But really, if they find it works to get attention they'll keep doing it. But if it doesn't get them anything they'll stop.

6. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

quote:
    because the fake crying grates on your nerves.

SO true. Peyton does the fake cry thing and it makes me crazy. I do try to ignore it. But often when I ignore it, she ends up even more upset and unable to calm down.
    I wish I had some kind of answer for you..
    Sue

7. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

I can't stand when Ashley does the fake crying...but it does make me laugh when she stops, looks up to see if I'm paying attention!

8. Lisa R

Lisa R Well-Known Member

I try to ignore it too. Aidan throws himself on the floor and starts boohooing and it's absolutely hillarious. Occasionally Jon and I will laugh at him but most of the time I just step over him and walk away. Fortunately Amanda hasn't started it yet!

9. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen this great display of fake crying? It's pretty funny [​IMG] but I'm glad my kids aren't THIS determined!!