Failed car seat test...twice

Discussion in 'General' started by hhc, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

My son's been home for a week but my daughter failed her car seat test yesterday and again today. This would normally mean a car bed but with 3 children in car seats there's no way to safely get a car bed in. Has anyone's child ever failed twice and were you able to find another solution other than a car bed? The nurse and the resident mentioned possibly starting her back up on caffeine and repeating the test but the attending wasn't around right then to discuss it.

I read that some preemies fail because they lack the muscle control to move their head if they're having trouble breathing. Do you think an extra insert in the car seat like a snuzzler might help her pass if it's positional? She's 4.5 lbs so she's still a tiny little thing.

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: If your NICU is like mine, they won't let you put anything in the car seat while the test is going on. We were able to bring the girls home with rolled up towels under their shoulders (they came home around 4 1/2lbs each), but they couldn't use those during the actual test. Maybe you should call and set up an appointment to talk to the attending and head nurse so you know what the plan is for handling this. How is she doing otherwise? :grouphug:

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our NICU would not allow anything else in the carseats during the test besides the rolled up towels beside the arms and in between the legs. I don't know of any other options other than a car bed. I hope you find a solution. :hug:

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't have any other options other than waiting it out and trying again in a couple days other than the car bed. The caffiene hasn't been proven to be effective used after 35 weeks gestation (according to my nicu) so they wouldn't put mine back on the caffeine. My McKenna failed I believe 1-2 times and came home on a monitor and I am glad she did though because the monitor went off in the car a couple times, she got herself out of them, but at least I knew she did since I couldn't see her.
    Hope you find some answers!! Its so tough when they have a setback of any kind!

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

For Alexis's (she is 3lb 12) test yesterday I used the positional aids from BRU. The nurses loved it (more secure than towels) and it seemed to really help. If they allow them, it can't hurt to try! Good luck!

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I had one that failed it once--- then passed it when they did it before a feed (she was so sleepy afterward and that caused more apneas). She also came home on a monitor ( 7 months) and on caffine (to due date). She was 4 lbs change when she came home.

DD2 passed it. She also was on caffine/monitor---but closer to 6 lbs when she came home.

Can you use a car bed if you dont have all the carseats (not have everyone in the car at once) for a bit. I am sure that you would only use a carbed for a short period of time, if you did not need all carseats in the car while using the carbed it may fit. FWIW- out hospital rented out car beds so you did not have to buy them.

Hope she passes or they find a solution soon!

7. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

Which positional aids did you use?

Both will be on monitors. My Nicu is very conservative even through my son passed his pcg. The attending said that they'll repeat the test in a week without caffeine. She's just probably still immature and needs a bit more time which is fine with me. I'd rather bring her home later than have her have episodes in the car. I've aldready jumped out of the car in the middle of traffic to respond to the alarm going off for my son.

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Are you using a Chicco Keyfit seat? A found this seat positioned my son best. He was also a 4 pounder when he came home.

Also--do not let her sleep in a bouncy seat at home because it mimics the position of a car seat and can cut off her airway.

9. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

one of our boys failed and failed and failed so the solution was to put receiving blankets all around the neck support brace and when they did that he passed and he was just over 4lbs. maybe they could try that?

10. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

She passed!!! Third time's a charm. The night nurses told her that she needed to get her tiny hiney out of there and then stuck her in the car seat. Apparently Emma finally got the memo and will be home this weekend!!! (if she can stay episode free for the next 24-48 hours) Finally, all my children will be home!

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!!! :clapping:

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Oh, congratulations! That's wonderful news!

If you still want to know, or anybody else does, the positioning aide is the Preemie Smart Prop Ease Plush - Latte by: Leachco, Inc. BRU.com has them.

Enjoy your babies!