Eye Drops for 9 month old... TIPS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MNTwinSquared, Jan 21, 2009.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Did you know the amount of loose skin around the eye of a baby? It's a LOT!!!! I need tips of how to put eye drops in poor little Evan. He has pink eye. He is on day three, but now he knows they are coming anytime we put him down on his back and he sees the container. :( Big brother CLayton must have brought it home from preschool. :angry: CLayton was a champ though with the eye drops & ointment. Evan just doesn't understand. I need pink eye gone from this house. We've all been sick.

2. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

We were told that even if the eyes are clamped shut, you can drip it in the corner and when they open them, enough should seep into the eyes. It's so hard and frustrating, I can definitely relate!

3. z mommy

z mommy Member

My advice would be to get a script for eye ointment instead. We just went through a eye infection and tear duct probing for my 8 month old. The pedi ophthalmologist stressed that all you need to do is carefully swipe the ointment on the lashline...no need for torturing and prying the eye open. It's wonderful and I have tried it both ways.

Good luck!
    Becca, mom to-
    Zander 5
    Zack & Zoe 8 months

4. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(z mommy @ Jan 21 2009, 09:35 PM) [snapback]1156754[/snapback]
    My advice would be to get a script for eye ointment instead. We just went through a eye infection and tear duct probing for my 8 month old. The pedi ophthalmologist stressed that all you need to do is carefully swipe the ointment on the lashline...no need for torturing and prying the eye open. It's wonderful and I have tried it both ways.

Good luck!
    Becca, mom to-
    Zander 5
    Zack & Zoe 8 months

Oh yes, I agree with this too. Along with the two courses of oral antibiotics and the two courses of eye drops, we also finally just did the ointment and it was so much easier!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree if the eyes are shut, put the drop in the very inside corner by their nose and then kinda pull their eye open with one finger on top and thumb underneath....gently of course, but the drop will slide right in. I still do this with my 7 yr old who hates eye drops. :)

6. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Like the pps I had much better luck with the ointment. Most of the time I put it in with his eyes clamped shut. When he opened them it went right in.

7. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

My niece had to have eye drops for her lazy eye (it would make the eye useless so she had to use her bad eye). Anyway, she hated them and they were told to put them in her eye after she fell asleep. She rarely woke up when they were doing it and it worked like a charm.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, I have no tips, I just wanted to send :hug: your way!