Extreme morning sickness. What do/did you do?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by lianyla, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I am 7w4d w/ baby #3 and am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick it's incredible. I have thrown up 12 times in 8 hours so far today. I cannot keep a thing down and am just starting to freak out that I cannot live like this.

I'm already on a high dosage of Zofran. I need advice. I have an appt today at 1:30 pm with a "nurse" I have no idea what will happen next. Just want to hear it from the pros. NEVER was sick w/ the twins. This is all new.

2. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Root Beer Slurpees!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What worked for me changed over time. DH got frusterated b/c I invested so much in the cracker isle. What I really liked to do after a while was to sip pop; also suck on hard candies. As long as I was sucking on something my saliva wasn't in overdrive for no reason- I'd 'trick' my stomach. The receptionist where I worked had a variety but Butterscotch and mint chocolate were my favorite. As the day went on I could keep down more but first thing in the morning I puked more days than not until about 16 weeks.

:hug:

4. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

They ended up putting me on a subcutaneous zofran pump and it was later switched to zofran through a PICC line with IV hydration every night (35mg/day). I also took reglan and an acid reducer. I've since had my PICC line removed and am just on oral zofran, reglan, and the acid reducer. If I cut back on any one of the three I get sick, but we're able to keep it under control with all 3 of them. Also, after 18 weeks I started feeling some better too. Sorry to hear you're doing so poorly. Hyperemesis is NO fun and I TOTALLY understand. I've had it with all 3 of my pregnancies and it's gotten progressively worse and more difficult to control with each one.

5. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

I swear by ginger. These http://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Candy-4-5-Ounce-Boxes/dp/B001HTL7JG were a lifesaver when I was pregnant.

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I know people who were put on the Zofran pump when the oral didn't do much good. So it would be worth a try. Also try to stay hydrated. Know that is really hard, but if you can get there, it makes it some better. Hope you can find smoe relief.

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

eat more often and smaller amount of food. banana, crackers, whole wheat bread with peanut butter, STEAK helped me. But i got morning/all day sickness until 4th month. Im sorry. I know how it feels. It will get better i promise. the important thing is dont let your stomach empty. before you get off the bed, chew some cracker or a banana. it helps. eat steak for dinner. it helped me get over the sickness and tiredness. Good luck!

8. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

You really need to get into the Dr especially because if you get dehydrated it will make the vomitting worse. I know several people that needed the pump. I sure hope you get some help today. Hyperemesis is just awful! :(

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry!!! I hope this nurse helps you!! I feel SO bad for all of you that are having to deal with this daily. :grouphug: :grouphug:

10. lianyla

I went in and got IV fluids and IV Zofran. I feel MUCH better. She did tell me, however, that the oral Zofran is the best for now. I guess I'll see where I'm at in a few days and if I need the pump, then I'll do that. I can't take care of my boys or even life a normal life like this. It is HORRIFIC. I'm soooo sorry for all of you that suffer w/ this, as well. I guess I'm lucky it didn't happen w/ the twins. This is just H*LL!

And as far as eating to help it, I really can't. I can't keep even the oral Zofran down which is what prompted me to go to the doc. The thought of food makes me want to die. Thank you!

11. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I know it's hard to get anything in and keep it down, but try to keep as hydrated as possible. That will be a feat in and of itself. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It really is the WORST!

12. lianyla

Thank you! I just wanted to come back after doing some SERIOUS research on what I've been told time and time again. When i got pg w/ the twins at the Fertility Clinic, they gave us all a handout on morning sickness and taking Vitamin B6 and Unisom for it. (Apparently it's a combo that makes up a VERY good anti emetic that has been used in Canada for 30 plus yrs!)

I never had to take it cuz I wasn't sick but did tell people who were sick about that.

Then today in a different office 4 yrs later, I was given another talking to about how powerful the Unisom and b6 combo REALLY is. Anyway, I went and bought it and am going to TRY to keep it down! Supposedly it's miraculous how well it works.

I thought I would share. Google it for more info.

http://www.motherisk.org/women/forum_question.jsp?forums_id=1692

13. lianyla

EXCELLENT INFO! I really hope it works for ME!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/health&id=3658783

14. Heathermomof5

Can I ask you a question? and don't feel like you have to answer it. because of my own situation I am very curious.

Did you do IVF with your twins? and was this baby not IVF? The reason I ask is because I have 3 non IVF babies that I was SO sick with and with all 3 of my IVF babies I have felt sick (mostly food adversions) but not bad at all. I was wondering if the meds maybe progesterone and or estrogen used with the IVF could have had something to do with the lack of bad morning sickness?? just curious as to your experience.

15. lianyla

Yep. The twins were IVF and this one is not so I totally think it has something to do w/ this being my OWN hormones in overdrive just making me sick as a dog! Must've been less progesterone w/ the shots than it is now, or something?? IDK. I thought about that myself tho!

1 person likes this.
  16. Heathermomof5

Interesting!! Thank you so much for answering! I have always wondered if other women had the same experience or if it was just me.

17. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

You know I did IVF and this one happened on our own. My pregnancies have been almost identical (minus the extra weight and tiredness.

18. lianyla

Okay so I tried the b6 and unisom and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also found that it's called Diclectin in Canada and the UK where it's the most common drug for pregnancy issues there!

Read this for more info!

I am just trying to help anyone else in my shoes.

http://www.diclectin.com/faq.html

19. Heathermomof5

YAY!!!! I am so glad it worked!! And thanks for the info!!!!!!

20. Amanda Casillas

Amanda Casillas New Member

I had no morning sickness with my first pregnancy. My second pregnancy was a different story. I was so sick I was losing more weight than I could put on. My Doctor suggested B6 vitamins. Not just the normal 100mg pill (they made things worse). She put me on 25 mg B6 four times a day. The pills were harder to find but after only 2 days the morning sickness began going away. After a week I was fine.