Extra Iron Supplements?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by watersurfers, Apr 8, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I am currently taking a standard prenatal pill. I have heard that twin pregnancies really deplete your iron more than a singleton, which can lead to additional bleeding at delivery. I asked my doc about Iron supplements, and he didn't seem concerned. Is anyone out there taking more Iron supplements? Or have they been told something different by their doctor?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

With any pregnancy, women tend to have low iron. You will have a blood test at some point and the doctor will advise you specifically on your situation. IF you are worried, just eat some cream of wheat or I think Total cereal. They are loaded with iron and will help boost your levels. I wouldn't take extra iron unless you are told you need to.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't take any extra iron supplements with my pregnancy, just the prenatal vitamin.

4. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i was found to be extremely anemic and now take my prenatal plus an extra iron daily; one in the morning and one at night.

36W4D mono/di boys

5. GirliesGalore

GirliesGalore Well-Known Member

I had to take an iron supplement with all of my pregnancies. I was found to be slightly anemic through the routine lab work. If your doctor hasn't indicated you need a supplement, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. JenCE

JenCE Active Member

I am on prenatal vitamins and iron supplement. My Dr had me start the extra iron a couple of weeks ago- my levels were OK but the low side of OK. I was told that extra iron was going to be important since I'm having a c-section- will help with blood loss and reduce the chances that I may need a blood transfusion. I was also told it may help with the "tiredness". So far I haven't really noticed this effect though.

I'd say talk to your Dr .

7. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I'm taking an additional iron supplement and it has made the world of difference. Before, I was extremely tired - more than usual for a pregnancy (if I were to compare to my 1st pregnancy). I was lethargic I was so tired - zero energy. My dr. told me the babies are getting what they need - they take the iron first and if I wanted to feel better I could take more iron. I'm glad I did. Definitely ask your dr. first to make sure you are anemic. In the meantime, I agree with pp, eat foods rich in iron.

8. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

I had a blood draw at 28 wks for the GD test and also they also checked my iron level. I was found to be extremely anemic, so the doctor has me taking a supplement twice a day in addition to my prenatal. There has been a noticeable difference in how I've been feeling energy-wise this past week and I believe it is in large part due to the supplement.

9. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

As all the pp stated you MD will do blood work to check your levels. You do not need to take extra unless your doctor tells you too!

I was informed at 28 weeks my iron was low so I am taking extra...along with a stool softner...iron can cause extreme constipation and it is best to take it with OJ, which helps it absorb better!

Don't worry and listen to everything anyone tells you because it will drive you crazy!!! Always ask your doc if you are concerned about something...it's their JOB!

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Eat one or two servings of MultiGrain Cheerios and you're set!!! It's packed full of everything you need ESP Iron!

11. jranger05

jranger05 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have been unable to take a prenatal vitamin since my first pregnancy. Theres something in it (don't know if its an actual vitamin element or a filler.. ) that causes me to be REALLY sick. With this pregnancy (Twins) Ive just been really watching what I eat, as well as drinking supplement shakes. It seems to have worked. Although, at my GD test, they found me to be anaemic (very common with twins!) , so my OB prescribed Palafer, which is a red blood cell booster, basically doing the same thing as an iron pill just without the horrible constipation that can accompany an iron supplement. My energy level has gone up since starting this med at 29 weeks. Im now 33wks 5d and feel more energetic than I did in my second trimester! I would definately recomend asking your OB about Palafer if your anything like me and the prenatal vitamin just doesnt "jive" with your body. :p

Another thing to keep in mind is that pregnant women should avoid Chickoree (sp?). This is a common ingredient in many over the counter stool softeners. Make sure you discuss ANY stool softeners/ fibre supplements with your Pharmacist or Doctor before you start taking one. I use Metamucil powder, although there are certain metamucils with Chickoree, so carefully read the label or ask your pharmacist if you are unsure!!

12. jbritt325

jbritt325 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mollyelizabeth @ Apr 8 2009, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1264636[/snapback]
    Hi there,
    I am currently taking a standard prenatal pill. I have heard that twin pregnancies really deplete your iron more than a singleton, which can lead to additional bleeding at delivery. I asked my doc about Iron supplements, and he didn't seem concerned. Is anyone out there taking more Iron supplements? Or have they been told something different by their doctor?

Deffinately do not take any extra medication without your doctor's approval, but it is more common in twin pregnancies for the mother to become a little anemic - from what I've read anyway. Your body is ramping up the blood supply and sometimes it cannot keep up the red blood cell count.

I have recently started taking an iron supplement. Doc told me that it was because of the amount of blood you lose during delievery of twins ( he wants me to built my blood supply up). It *could* (not always) deplete your blood supply enough to warrant a transfusion. That scared me enough to make me start the iron supplement right away! lol I was skittish of them because of the side effects but so far I haven't had any.

They will probably check your hematocrit level when they do the glucose test. That is when they checked mine anyway. I guess you could always request him check yours.

Hope this helped! :D

13. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

In the beginning I took prenatal and an extra folic acid prescribed by the doctor and then they tested me and I now take 3 iron pills everyday as well.

14. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

In the beginning I took prenatal and an extra folic acid prescribed by the doctor and then they tested me and I now take 3 iron pills everyday as well.