Expectant Mommy Massage

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by brianamurnion, Apr 2, 2009.

1. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

Hello ladies. Let me start at the begining. My lil sis is getting married on May 9th (yes I am going to be the VERY pregnant MOH!). We are having a bridesmaids' day out on Saturday and are going to the spa. This will be my 1st experience getting a massage. It is a "Expectant Mommy" package so I am assuming it is okay. BUT I have heard that massages can bring on preterm labor... so before I called my nurse and asked if it was okay I thought I would check here to see what you girls know about it??

2. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

LOVE LOVE LOVE Massages, especially when pregnant.

As long as they stay away from your achilles tendon you're okay. For some reason that can bring on labor.

BTW, I had a massage at 40+W, 2 cm dialted, 90% effaced adn they worked my achilles tendon like it's never been worked before trying to start labor and nothing happened.

3. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

LOVED massages during pregnancy!!
    Should be fine so long as they stay away from the feet & any type of reflexology (was what I was told).
    Enjoy!!!!!

4. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

i know A LOT of women who recently had babies (all singletons) and they all had regular massages and chiropractic appointments right up until their due dates. for a lot of them it was the ONLY way to relieve the back pain.

unfortunately i have extremely tense muscles brought on by stress and massages, of the shoulders especially, cause severe bruising. so if you are tense in the shoulders have the massage therapist be very gentle with you so that you don't bruise.

but have fun with it. from what i gather it shouldn't affect the pregnancy at all, if anything it will make you feel loads better!

5. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

Thanks gals... now I can go and truely enjoy it with no worries!

6. kbaldwin

kbaldwin Well-Known Member

Yes, take advantage! As long as it's prenatal, the therapist should know what to do (and not do) and the experience will be HEAVENLY. Enjoy! :)

7. kacy79

kacy79 Active Member

Check with the spa, some require a doctors prescription. Not a big deal, just need to get it.