Exercise

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chicagomama, Feb 25, 2013.

1. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

I am really wanting to stay somewhat physically active in this pregnancy, but I find it hard to know when I am pushing myself to hard or when I can handle more of a challenge. Just wondering other than prenatal yoga are there exercise routines that others have had success with?

2. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

My doctor told me to stick with prenatal yoga and walking. I bet aqua aerobics or swimming would be acceptable too. I had been thinking that I was being really lazy since I used to exercise a whole lot pre-pregnancy, but the fact is that now I get exhausted after walking my dog. I tried taking him for a longer (~45 min) walk a couple weeks ago and ended up with spotting which freaked me out, so now I'm back down to the 15 min walks.

I think the general rule is that if whatever you're doing makes something hurt or bleed, it's too much. :)

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I worked out the whole time I was pregnant with Cooper. I did the elliptical, a lot of fast walking, stationary bike, and all weights except for abs and weighted squats. I did squats on the wall with a stability ball. I kept it up until I was around 36 weeks and too tired.

4. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I ran through 32 weeks with my daughter but I've been too tired and sick with my twins to do much of anything. When it gets warmer I will go for 3 mile walks if I can handle it. I think swimming or some sort of water exercise would be great if you have access to a pool and enjoy that. My doctor didn't restrict me from running but it makes my nausea worse and I don't really want to be throwing up outside, you know.

5. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I worked out the whole pregnancy, and my OB approved it, and he encouraged me, I used to work out before being pregnant. At the beginning I was going to the gym, and I was going on the eliptical on a lower speed than before pregnancy, and I was only doing 20 minutes at a time - as opposed to 45 before. I also did the regular biceps, triceps, back excersises and crunches on the ballance ball. After 7 months when I started to look like I was going to give birth already, I stopped going to the gym - because I didn't want to scare the people there :). I kept working out 3-4 times a week at home. I was doing light weigts for arms/back/chest while sitting on the ballance ball, and crunches on the ballance ball. I kept doing that until the C-Section, I never had any discomfort related to working out and I think it helped me sleep better. After birth, my body got back to my pre-pregnancy weight in about 2 months, so I think working out helped, but breastfeeding twins and the lack of sleep had a major contribution also.