Exercise

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by hsddc, Jan 26, 2010.

1. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

I've always been a pretty habitual exerciser--played a lot of sports when I was younger and as an adult and pre-pregnancy I'm pretty consistent 4-5x per week in the gym. I don't run marathons but 30-45 minutes of cardio (elliptical, spinning, running, etc) and then weight lifting. I do it to keep in shape but also because, for me, it's a huge stress reliever and helps me manage my mental health. :)
    In my pregnancy, I've toned it down quite a bit to about 2-3x per week and I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio but on the lighter side, just walking or stationary bike (not spinning), and then maybe light weights and stretching. Now that I'm getting to the end of the 2nd tri, I'm slowing down big-time. I'm so tired after work that generally I skip the gym which I know is better for the babies but I'm struggling with the losing that mental/emotional benefit from exercise.
    I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is like me and when/if you stopped exercising? Also, are there any good alternatives for exercise that won't wear me out but that will still give me the benefits? I'd love to find a good prenatal yoga DVD that I could do at home, that might be helpful. Thoughts?

2. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Exercise?!!!!

Good on you!
    I can hardly move let alone exercise. I do feel guilty but try and do some gentle swimming when I take my 2 children to the pool. (We are having 40C heat here lately!!

3. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

I worked out like you before I got preggo with my boys and have not been able to work out at all since the first trimester. I tried and it killed me. I ended up pulling a ligament doing yoga in my thigh and it took almost 3 months to get over. I decided to just take it easy, eat well and relax. What I did until about 30 weeks was park far away and try to take stairs if I could just for a little boost.

4. Rose Wright

Rose Wright Well-Known Member

Before my TTTS diagnoses, my doctor basically told me the only exercise I could do is walking. Since the surgery, I've been told to just take it easy. I never really even felt like walking much, I was getting worn out after just a few minutes even a couple months ago. With my other pregnancies, though, I did manage to do some exercise. Sometimes crunches, some walking or other leg exercises.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I stopped exercising when I was about 4-5 months because I was having difficulty breathing. I think you can try some yoga, light stretching and maybe if your gym offers a water exercise class you can try.

6. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the PP and say Good for you for doing so much! I haven't done hardly anything. Partly because my pulse is already running high and the minute I even walk up the stairs to our apartment it spikes way up and I can't breathe. Although when the weather is nice out I do walk with my DS to check the mail on a daily basis. We live at the front of our apartment complex and the mailboxes are at the very back. But other than that, that's about all I do.

Thankfully, in light of this I haven't gained much weight. Only about 7 lbs from pre-preg weight and I'm 21 weeks. I'm not sure where that falls on the spectrum of what I should or shouldn't have gained but I was pretty sick the first 16 weeks or so.

7. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Lisa,

I can relate to that. I took up running about a year ago. As a runner I ran several times a week with long runs every saturday morning and a race every month(5ks, 10ks and half marathons) and was training to run a full marathon. I had to stop running due to the pregancy, so I go the GYM with DH and use the bikes and also walk on the treadmill. I still get depressed about it. Doc only allow me to walk as well. So I am also thinking about swimming. Good luck to you.[​IMG]

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All the exercising you did prior to your pregnancy is already so beneficial to you!! so WTG!!!
    I would suggest maybe a water arobics class, the prenatal yoga, or just some light walking.

9. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I did significant exercise when pregnant with my first two (single) children - like I ran nearly 800 miles while pregnant with DD, including 5 miles a day the week before my scheduled c-section. With the twins, however, my OB advised NO exercise - which I think is extremely conservative (he had been okay with my past exercise habits while pregnant). I asked for a definition of no exercise - was it a heart rate thing? Low impact vs. pounding exercise? I was told that if I needed to go around the block that I should drive, not walk.

It was a huge bummer - I feel groggy and sleepy on days that I don't exercise! I did follow his advice and made it to 38+5 with healthy babies ... And I have found it fairly easy to get back into my old exercise routine - I would have guessed it would have taken forever after nearly a year of no exercise combined with the fact that I'm old (37).

Good luck to you in finding the right exercise balance!

10. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone! I think probably my best bet is to try to find a yoga DVD to do at home which might give me some of the mental benefits of exercise but won't tax my body too much. Would love to try swimming but I'm not too jazzed about getting my big ole pregnant self into a bathing suit. Just not that appealing. (although, 2xjoy, if I lived in Aussie, I'd be jumping in the pool right now too--40c?? Hot!).
    Amy and Pandax3--I totally understand where you're coming from--it's been hard to not have regular exercise be part of my life, especially since I've been like this my *whole* life but it's definitely for the best for the sake of the babies. I hope I can get to 38 weeks + too! (and, Amy, I'm the same age as you--not *too* old!--so it's good to hear you bounced right back into your routine).
    Anyone have a good yoga DVD they can recommend?

11. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I've had to scale WAY back, too, and I constantly worry that I won't have the strength I will need to deliver my babies.

I used to be an avid practitioner of yoga (three+ 1 1/2 hour classes per week). I was one of those people who could stand on their head, do arm balances, and get into other poses that have taken me nearly a decade to learn and perfect. I assumed I would just keep going in pregnancy. I was wrong.

When we found out about the twins at approximately week 8, my doctor (who initially supported me continuing my yoga practice) urged me to scale back. She OK'd walking and prenatal yoga classes, but that was it. I asked my yoga instructors for a good prenatal video and they all highly recommended Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea, published by Gaiam. I really like it. It takes you through a "workout" instead of showing you isolated poses without connecting them together. It also has modifications for all three trimesters.

I use the DVD once or twice a week and walk with DH on one or two other days. That's about all the energy I have. Although it is frustrating to feel like you are slowing down, try to remember the yoga vision of listening to and honoring your body. Some days that will mean walking to the couch and resting rather than waking around the block.

Good luck.

PS - FYI I am 24 weeks

12. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

I used the Shiva Rea prenatal yoga video up until week 26 & loved it. She's so gentle. I have been on bedrest since week 27. When I was able to do the yoga, it made me feel SO much better. I'm a teacher, so I stand all day at work. If I ever skipped a morning of yoga, I regretted it by the end of the school day. I also walked three times a week for 30 minutes. It wasn't much, but I believe the walking combined with yoga has helped me maintain a healthy pregnancy.

13. nicolerodo

nicolerodo Member

I am 30 weeks and I do the same Shiva Rea Dvd every other day. I was going to the gym up until 3 weeks ago, once I hit my third trimester I was too tired to lug the kids (4 and 2) in the gym to do yoga and swim; so I froze my membership. I think the yoga is allowing me to have a great twin pregnancy so far, but I am not on any kind of bed rest or restrictions, so eveyones situation is different.

14. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I am waaaaaaaay past the point of caring how big I look lol! I wear a tankini and maternity boardies and got to the pool 2-3 times a week with my 2 darlings. They both love swimming especially 4yr dd. So we go up to the deep end (2.5m) and while she has a swim, I tread water for a few minutes then rest for a minute then tread water again and so on. I used to be able to tread water for ages and ages but don't want to get to out of breath (Lately I get out of breath just getting dressed in the morning lol!!)