Exercise during 1st trimester

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KaseyS2104, Jan 14, 2008.

1. KaseyS2104

KaseyS2104 Well-Known Member

So, I USED to work out 5 days a week... That was until I started to feel just plain exhausted from this pregnancy. Now, even though I know it is okay to take a break because your body already is working in a higher gear making a baby, I tend to be consumed with the reminder that I am falling quickly out of shape. I plan to get back into a routine second trimester.. I wish I had the energy to work out now but I just don't.

Has anyone else ever abruptly fallen out of an exercise routine when they found out they were pregnant? WEre you able to get back into it after a 2 month break or so??? If so, what workouts did you find more effective? Thanks!

2. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I just got back after the babies turned one and now I'm exhausted and sick. I also practice yoga but they do not reccomend practicing in the first trimester to allow the baby time to develop and implant.

3. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I was like you and worked out a few times every week before becoming pregnant. I too was sick and exhausted my first trimester. I vowed to go back my second, and I never made it. I feel yucky this pregnancy and lack any desire or motivation to work out. Hopefully that will change after I deliver, because I really enjoyed going to the gym.

4. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Before I got pregnant with my twins, I ran 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week, and did weight training in between. I was so exhausted the first trimester, all I did was sleep. After about 13 weeks I started doing some yard work again, but not working out. Then at 22 weeks I got put on bedrest for PTL. That lasted till I delivered at 36 weeks.

As soon as I felt able after my c-section, I started doing little things like crunches, squats, things I could do around the house. Then when the girls were 8 weeks old we moved cross-country. I really wasn't able to get back into a work-out routine until they were around 5 months old.

I couldn't run, not at all. I had to start walking. Then, slowly, I'd run 1/2 a lap around the quarter mile track, walk 1/2, run 1/2, etc. for 2 miles. Slowly I increased it, to now I will run 2 full laps and walk 1/2, run 2 walk 1/2, and so on. But I can run the whole way if need-be (had to for Physical fitness test for work)

I gained a total of 70 lbs. with the twins, now I'm down to just 15 lbs. over pre-pregnancy weight and pregnant again.

It's possible, but will be slow going when you get back into it. The sooner you get back into it, the faster paced you can go.

5. KaseyS2104

KaseyS2104 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tickled_pink @ Jan 14 2008, 06:19 PM) [snapback]572596[/snapback]
    Before I got pregnant with my twins, I ran 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week, and did weight training in between. I was so exhausted the first trimester, all I did was sleep. After about 13 weeks I started doing some yard work again, but not working out. Then at 22 weeks I got put on bedrest for PTL. That lasted till I delivered at 36 weeks.

As soon as I felt able after my c-section, I started doing little things like crunches, squats, things I could do around the house. Then when the girls were 8 weeks old we moved cross-country. I really wasn't able to get back into a work-out routine until they were around 5 months old.

I couldn't run, not at all. I had to start walking. Then, slowly, I'd run 1/2 a lap around the quarter mile track, walk 1/2, run 1/2, etc. for 2 miles. Slowly I increased it, to now I will run 2 full laps and walk 1/2, run 2 walk 1/2, and so on. But I can run the whole way if need-be (had to for Physical fitness test for work)

I gained a total of 70 lbs. with the twins, now I'm down to just 15 lbs. over pre-pregnancy weight and pregnant again.

It's possible, but will be slow going when you get back into it. The sooner you get back into it, the faster paced you can go.

Thanks for sharing... I need to stop being so hard on myself. I know how vitally important it is to rest this trimester and throughout pregnancy because your body is just in overdrive as it is. I am reading "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" (awesome book by the way) and the author talks about how she avoided working out just because she felt it was her right to be lazy and just take care of her precious body to grow her precious baby. I've lost the pregnancy weight once, I can do it again!