exclusive pumping and STTN

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by paperclippy, Dec 27, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

For the moms who exclusively pumped, how did you handle when your twins started sleeping through the night? My girls are going about half the time without a nighttime feed now but I'm afraid that if I don't get up and pump in the middle of the night I won't have enough milk for the next day. As it is I'm barely keeping up and have to supplement with formula once every couple days. OTOH I would reeeeeeally love to get a solid 6+ hours of sleep. I pump at 7:30pm right before going to bed, once sometime between 1-3 depending when they fuss, and then at 5:30am when they get up. During the day I do 3x while at work at 8:30, 11:30, 2:30. At my daytime sessions I usually get about 7-8oz total, but at 3am I get 15-17oz.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I hung onto my middle of the night session until the very end, at 13 months. Like you, it was my most productive one and I was worried if I dropped it my supply would take a huge hit. After all the breastfeeding struggles we went through with latching and mastitis the first four months, I was just thrilled to be going along smoothly (but it sure was nice to sleep all night when they hit 13 months...the middle of the night pump was the first one I dropped).

Good luck!! It's not easy to exclusively pump! :clapping: You're doing an awesome job, mama!!

Edited for my one million typos!

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am with Jori.  For me, the magic number was 6 pump sessions a day including one at night.  When I cut the night time pump, my supply dropped and never recovered.  Since you are right where you need to be with supply, I wouldn't change anything.  You are doing a fantastic job!!!

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I pumped through the night until I decided to not pump anymore, then I began weening myself off and cut the night time sessions.