Everyone who has kids should take an infant CPR class!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sara26, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

Tonight one of my girls started choking while eating dinner. My husband was feeding them, and I was upstairs painting our bedroom. All of a sudden he started yelling for me to come downstairs and then said Josie was choking. I ran down the stairs and he had her laying on the floor on her back and he was sticking his fingers in her mouth to get the food out. As soon as I came downstairs he got the food out and she started coughing. He told me that she started coughing while she was eating, which isn't out of the ordinary, especially since she has a cold right now. But then she turned bright red, then started turning blue and eyes rolled back in her head. I'm glad I didn't have to see that.

So the moral of the story is everyone who has babies should know how to do the heimlich maneuver and CPR. You never know what's going to happen.

2. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

Tonight one of my girls started choking while eating dinner. My husband was feeding them, and I was upstairs painting our bedroom. All of a sudden he started yelling for me to come downstairs and then said Josie was choking. I ran down the stairs and he had her laying on the floor on her back and he was sticking his fingers in her mouth to get the food out. As soon as I came downstairs he got the food out and she started coughing. He told me that she started coughing while she was eating, which isn't out of the ordinary, especially since she has a cold right now. But then she turned bright red, then started turning blue and eyes rolled back in her head. I'm glad I didn't have to see that.

So the moral of the story is everyone who has babies should know how to do the heimlich maneuver and CPR. You never know what's going to happen.

3. 4boysandme

4boysandme Well-Known Member

So true! I was just thinking the other day that I REALLY should do that..am adding that to my "to do" list to get done ASAP!

Hope everything is ok now! Sorry you had to have such a scary experience... [​IMG]

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sara,
    How scary for you and DH. I can't imagine. Since ours were in the NICU we did take a CPR class, but I pray we never have to use it. Glad things turned out alright. [​IMG]

5. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I actually had to to the heimlick (how do you spell that?) on my DD who is now 7. Scariest moment of my life. She was 6 months old and my sister had given her a piece of cantelope and suddely my dad noticed and said "What is wrong with Madison?" I looked at her and she was waving her arms wildly and could not get ANY air. I grabbed her and threw her down on my forearm and WHALED on her back. My husband walked in just in time to see me doing this and thought I was beating her. [​IMG] She immediatly threw up the chunk, gasped loudly and started screaming. The best sound I have ever heard in my life. Even better than newborn babies crying when they are born.

I was a lifegaurd for 10 years and took advanced CPR many times, always wondered if I could do it, and especially if I could do it for my own family. I hoped not to find out.

Take the class. You will never regret it.

[​IMG]

6. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

I STRONGLY agree. Everyone should take a CPR class even if they don't have children. As a nurse I have done CPR many times on duty, never on a child though. Its such a valuable tool to have God forbid your child chokes. I'm so glad your Josie is ok, how scarey!

7. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

I strongly agree! I was certified by the American Red Cross in Infant and Toddler CPR when the boys were a month old and I made my nanny and all the babies grandparents go to the class as well. I plan to require anyone else who watches them in the future go to the class too!

8. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

That is so scary! I am glad she is okay.

9. xkaper

xkaper Active Member

I agree 100%. I think it should be incorporated into prenatal classes, Tracy

10. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I had to take that in order to bring my son, Ty, home after his first surgery. I take a refresher CPR course every couple of years and they go over the infant as well.

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad she's okay. DH is a firefighter/EMT and luckily he was the one feeding Jessica when she's choked a few times.

Here's the link to some info about infant CPR:

http://www.firstaidweb.com/infant.html

Angela