Entertainment During Long Car Ride

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by beanmachine, Nov 14, 2011.

1. beanmachine

beanmachine Active Member

Hi Everyone,

With the holidays coming up and some long car rides ahead of us, I thought I would see if anyone had any great suggestions on things that have helped get you through extended periods in the car. Our girls aren't really into watching TV yet so that's not an option. Aside from TV/cartoons/movies, what has helped you get through some longer car rides with your toddlers?

Thanks in advance!

2. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Both DH and I tend to be more night owls anyway, so we sometimes try to do the bulk of our driving at night. The kids are really good at going to sleep in the car. We just set up their white noise in the back and make sure the radio is only playing on the front speakers. Works like a charm every time!

But our longest drive is 6-7 hrs. We don't drive all night or anything.

*edited because I can't spell when I'm sleepy lol

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We travelled to Michigan (about a 12 hour drive) to see family when my two were 15 months old. Driving out, we did most of the driving at night (until we got a flat and had to find a hotel to stay in, but that's another story). We brought small car toys and books. We were traveling with my Mom and Dad, so there always were two people in the row of seats behind the kids to entertain them & interact with them as well. We drove back home to PA during the day and the kids did really well. I think it was the last 30 minutes of the ride that they started to get antsy and were done with the car.

4. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

I also suggest driving at night. We've done a few longer drives - sll between 3 and 6 hours. It seems to work best to take off right before their usual bedtime. My boys tend to doze off in the car before they've had a chance to get bored. We have dealt with them waking and needing to get out a little and be held and soothed, but haven't had to deal with boredom really. On a recent 3-hour trip we drove during a naptime in the afternoon. After they woke they started to get a little fussy but we rotated some favorite smaller toys, gave them a snack, and ended up singing some songs for the last 20 minutes or so. They did really well.